Any Suggestions for my dogs constant scratching

angelhipster

Jun 26, 2007
Our baby, Ellie has been constantly scratching herself to the point of drawing blood and we're so worried.

At first we thought it was fleas, but found out that's not the case. I'm not sure if it's a skin condition or if it's the food (we just changed her food). We've only had her for about 8 months and we are new to pet parenting.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you.:crybaby:

I am willing to bet it is definitely her food. Many dogs have an allergy to corn according to my vet. Corn is the base for most cheaper dog foods. Look for a dog food with chicken or beef as the very first ingredient listed on the bag. My German Shepherd that I used to have (she lives at my mom's house now) was allergic to her food. We switched her to California Natural dog food and ALL itching ceased. Another great food is Innova, which is what I feed my Chi. My Shepherd did not really like it. They sell both of these at higher end pet stores and almost always at feed stores (for livestock).

Good luck and I hope this works. :P

Definitely sounds like allergies. It could be environment or food allergies. My pugs can be affected by both. As far as food goes we don’t feed my dogs anything with corn or beef. And no kind of meat meal; “chicken meal,” because it isn’t real chicken. Lamb and chicken seem to be the best diet for allergy sensitive dogs. As far as environmental allergies it could be anything from fleas, grass, flowers, carpet, etc. It is best to take your dog to the vet though and talk to a veterinarian. Most likely he will prescribe medication to your dog so she will start to feel better. Also keep your dog on a flea product like Frontline. Hope she feels better soon!

I agree, it's probably an allergy. I'd take her to the vet and see for sure, though. You may need antibiotics if a skin infection has occurred b/c of her scratching.

Please don't worry too much, as these things can be cleared up pretty easily with a proper diagnosis.

It could be allergies like what everyone else said, so in that case if I were you I would take her to the vet first.

But if it's dry skin (my Maltese/Coton de Tulear puppy has it too) then you can either give her fish oil or i think its flax seed oil if you don't want to deal with the "fishy" smell heh.

There's also a great spray that i buy from Chris Christensen (his products is very well known in this one Maltese forum that i frequent). It's called Peace & Kindness and you just spray it on and massage it in, it's great for bug bites, infection or just dry/itchy/irritated skin. His website is
http://www.chrissystems.com/

I also buy his brushes and shampoos & conditioners, they're great :smile:

Definitely sounds like allergies. Consider switiching to a raw diet. Also, adding Biotin to their food will help.

Like the consensus, probably allergies or dry skin due to the diet. I agree with the raw diet (or human grade food with little or no grain), also there are great supplements, like ash by dr cary reams. My dog never scratches. Also one called dinovite suggested by a dvm who practices holistic & conventional medicine which I haven't tried but claims it takes care of scratching. At one time, one of my other dogs was prescribed pred for a skin disorder. It helped, but I didn't want to keep her on it forever but took care of the problem quickly. Either way, it's good to have your vet do a checkup and atleast end the scratching & bleeding. Changing her diet and adding needed vitamins & minerals made a long term (and healthier) difference eventually.

When we received our new pure bred kitty, Shamy, he started to lose his fur on his arm by biting it (yes i know CATS are a different species, LOL!). The vet thought it was an allergy to fleas after trying many things and many tests. Nothing worked.

Then I bought a product (pills) called Derma Strength from a lady on EBay - but you can get them online as well:
http://www.allivet.com/Vetri-Science-Derma-Strength-For-Dogs-p/15078.htm

I was also advised by the lady to give the cat fish oil capsules, not cod liver, fish oil specifically. Think I may have got them from her, or at a pet place, not sure.

Did this for several weeks & it worked. have had Shamy for years now & doesn't seem to need the supplements any more or have a skin allergy...the Vet was impressed, since I used products they did not recommend. :tup:

I believe that it was her food. We went to the store and bought some oatmeal shampoo and cortisone spray for dogs. She didn't like the spray ( she thought she was getting a bath:wtf:) and we changed her food with hardly any grains and she seems to be much better.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and help!

:tup:

Attachments

• mail.html_1.jpg
    mail.html_1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 51