The Torana scarf

merika

Wol
O.G.
Nov 1, 2006
I saw a picture of this scarf on LZ and fell in love. The word 'torana' has meaning in my native language (it means ceremonial gate, or entryway) and this scarf illustrates it wonderfully. For certain festivals in my home country people build structures like this and decorate them with colored lights.

In fact some of my family come from a small town called 'Torana' which is named after a very large ceremonial structure which is built once a year, each time in a different style.

h52_1.jpg

Does anyone know what other colorways it comes in and any other details about the scarf and its designer?

^^I have!! In fact, LZ only has it in the pochette size :crybaby:If it came in a larger size I would've already bought it...it reminds me so much of home because all the symbols on the scarf have significant cultural and emotional value to me.

^^Thank you so much, Rose. I love the green one:

get_thumbs_on_fly.php

and the red, blue and yellow one too.

I saw the details of the gray scarf:

h52_3.jpg

and a stone carving at an entryway of a building in my home country....

55138754_96202e97ce_m.jpg

Merika, according to another collector database, it was also reissued in 2000, and it was made in both 90 cm full size and 45 cm pochette.

Want us to add it to the grail scarf list? I have a huge list now that I keep with me on my antique crawls. I know several tPF members have alerted me when my grails have shown up.

I wondered what my old thread was doing on the first page, lol!

I think wikipedia can do it better than I can...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torana

"A torana is a type of gateway seen in Hindu and Buddhist architecture. Toranas are associated with stupas like the Great Stupa in Sanchi. Symbolic toranas can also be made of flowers and even leaves and hung over the doors of Hindus, particularly in Southern India. They are believed to bring good fortune and signify auspicious and festive occasions."