Real Housewives of BEVERLY HILLS {RHoBH}

Argh, the only thing I hate about being a cord cutter is not being able to keep up with my housewives (BH, OC & NYC)!
They eventually come to Hulu, but I need them NOW!

I saw that LVP is going to be at Congress next Wednesday to speak about the Yulin dog festival and I've always felt that she's never really explained what is it exactly that motivates her to continue to raise awareness about the festival.

Is she against the torture/inhumane treatment of animals because that is true of the meat industry in general and I don't see any of her restaurants promoting their use of cruelty free meat or vegan options?

Is she against the use of dogs for meat because that would be terribly ethnocentric of her?

I guess it's just confusing to me where LVP draws the line on what is acceptable and what isn't.

I saw that LVP is going to be at Congress next Wednesday to speak about the Yulin dog festival and I've always felt that she's never really explained what is it exactly that motivates her to continue to raise awareness about the festival.

Is she against the torture/inhumane treatment of animals because that is true of the meat industry in general and I don't see any of her restaurants promoting their use of cruelty free meat or vegan options?

Is she against the use of dogs for meat because that would be terribly ethnocentric of her?

I guess it's just confusing to me where LVP draws the line on what is acceptable and what isn't.

I think you make some interesting valid points. I don't know much about the Yulin Dog festival, but from what I've heard the dogs are treated very inhumanely. (Maybe someone who knows more can shed some line on the subject). That would be my major concern. But I think for Lisa its probably both - inhumane treatment and the fact that people could eat an animal that she clearly loves.

I love dogs and cats, and couldn't imagine eating them. I also love horses but I tried horse meat in Europe where in some parts it is considered a delicacy and normal. Wouldn't try it again (but I was visiting extended family who I didn't know that well and didn't want to offend them).

What animals we consider "appropriate" to eat is I think culturally determined. I accept the fact the most people eat meat of some kind (and I respect those who make the choice not too). But am more concerned about the treatment of animals in the food industry in general rather than what particular animal we eat. So while I support Lisa in what she is doing, I do think she needs to be careful in her messaging.

What they do to dogs in Asia is beyond horrific. Even some of the things we see in the US is bad, but doesn't compare when you have a few countries who literally believe that their meat will taste better if the animal suffers more. Like being skinned alive or boiled alive.

In general, people are okay with eating meat until they find out how it was raised and killed. Then you might become bothered by it.

I also don't think, or care tbh, if it's ethnocentric to be against eating dogs or cats. In Asia, there are a lot of people, especially the younger generations, who are horrified by the thought of eating a dog or cat. When they choose to eat dogs/cats it is NOT out of survival, in Vietnam, dog meat is basically bar food that goes with your beer. And dogs are a particular species who suffer because of that "it must be tortured for it to be tasty" mentality.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucywife
The thought of eating a domesticated pet, animal, horrifies me. From my early teens through most of adult years I rarely if ever consumed animals. I'm disheartened when I hear the stories associated with the meat/animal industry.

ETA: I'm glad/pleased that someone like LVP will bring attention to this ugliness.

As general rule, people accept the idea that some cultures eat dogs and cats, but the problem people have with it is that in the festival they actually torture the dogs to death because they think it makes the meat taste better. However, the meat industry in America is pretty cruel as well, countless videos have been released of cows, pigs, and chickens being beaten and tortured. I guess, it's because the Yulin festival is pretty public about and doesn't even try to hide it. I'm vegan, so to me any and all meat industries are cruel and unnecessary

I find it funny (and sad) that liberal westerners don't find goose or duck pate as morally abhorrent. Some farmers enlarge the liver to 10 times the normal size and force the animals to live in tiny cages that don't allow for any physical movement whatsoever. More torture = more abundant and delicious pate for the wealthy elite.

Yet somehow this form of animal cruelty doesn't get the same headline traction. I'm sure living in France and being in the restaurant business, LVP had lots of exposure to this animal cruelty. But where was her soap box then?

Last edited:
I find it funny (and sad) that liberal westerners don't find goose or duck pate as morally abhorrent. Some farmers enlarge the liver to 10 times the normal size and force the animals to live in tiny cages that don't allow for any physical movement whatsoever. More torture = more abundant and delicious pate for the wealthy elite.

Yet somehow this form of animal cruelty doesn't get the same headline traction. I'm sure living in France and being in the restaurant business, LVP had lots of exposure to this animal cruelty. But where was her soap box then?

Fair point.

I really struggle with this and a lot of similar issues a lot. I personally love the taste of foie gras, but the torture is so upsetting. Same with some of the fashion I wear and things I have around my house (down coats and comforters, fur coats, etc etc). I am trying to get better about it, but I have to admit, I struggle with it.