Bringing a dog from Taiwan to USA...tips? (plus pics of my potentially new puppy!) :)

evychew

Jan 16, 2007
Hey ladies!

My parents just told me that when I go back to Taiwan this summer for vacation/work/school, I can bring a maltese back with me!:yahoo:Does anyone know what the policies are though for bring a dog from out of the country back into the US? (i.e. quarantine, paperwork, shots etc.) thanks!

PS here are the photos of the dogs I might be bringing home with me...i hope they'll like me!:jammin: Aren't they the cutest?!?!

Attachments

• Dsc05043.jpg
    Dsc05043.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Dsc05048.jpg
    Dsc05048.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,278
my uncle's friend is a reputable breeder in Taiwan, and my father wanted me to train the puppy first before my parents take care of it (i can't have a dog where I am living next year...they're apartment style dorms for UCBerkeley), so it just so happened to work out! I know there are plenty of reputable breeders in USA , but I think i've already fallen in love with these two puppies!:love:

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/2bringyourpet.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm

From the CDC website:
Dogs

(Note: this section updated September 6, 2006)

• A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a dog appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.
  • Proof of Rabies Vaccination: Dogs must have a certificate showing they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days prior to entry into the United States. These requirements apply equally to service animals such as Seeing Eye dogs.
  • Importation of Unvaccinated Dogs: Dogs not accompanied by proof of rabies vaccination, including those that are too young to be vaccinated (i.e. less than 3 months of age), may be admitted if the importer completes a confinement agreement (see below) and confines the animal until it is considered adequately vaccinated against rabies (the vaccine is not considered effective until 30 days after the date of vaccination). Spanish, French, and Russian translations of form CDC 75.37 are available, but must be completed in English.
    • Confinement agreement (form CDC 75.37)
      icon_pdf_small.gif
      (76 KB/2 pages)
    • Translations of CDC 75.37:
    • Puppies that are too young to be vaccinated (i.e. less than 3 months of age) must be kept in confinement until they are old enough to be vaccinated, and then confined for at least 30 days after the date of vaccination.
    • Unvaccinated dogs must be vaccinated within 4 days of arrival at their final U.S. destination and within 10 days of entry into the United States, and must be kept in confinement for at least 30 days after the date of vaccination.
    • Dogs may not be sold or transferred to other owners during this period of confinement, and the person that signs the confinement agreement is responsible for ensuring the conditions of the agreement are met.
    • Importers must provide a contact address where the dog will be kept during the confinement period. If the importer will be housing the dog at several addresses or traveling with the animal, all points of contact must be provided.
  • Importation of Dogs from Rabies-free Countries: Unvaccinated dogs may be imported without a requirement for proof of rabies vaccination if they have been located for a minimum of 6 months or more in countries that are free of rabies.
  • Following importation, all dogs are subject to state and local vaccination or health certificate requirements. All pet dogs arriving in the state of Hawaii and the territory of Guam, even from the U.S. mainland, are subject to locally imposed quarantine requirements. Additional information can be found in the Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control .

thank you sooo much, pidgeon92!!! this information is so helpful! :smile:

I guess, now all i have to decide, is which one to bring back! I wish i could bring them both back!!!

my uncle's friend is a reputable breeder in Taiwan, and my father wanted me to train the puppy first before my parents take care of it (i can't have a dog where I am living next year...they're apartment style dorms for UCBerkeley), so it just so happened to work out! I know there are plenty of reputable breeders in USA , but I think i've already fallen in love with these two puppies!:love:

Oh ok, I was a little confused by the wording at first. But yea, the only thing you'd have to worry about is that your dog is properly vaccinated against rabies (and that you can show proof of such). Also, some international flights will allow you to take the dog in the cabin with you, as long as it remains in its carrier. When you bring him/her back, I suggest getting a tranquilizer from a vet, since flights can be extremely stressful (for humans as well as animals!) Anyway, I hope everything works out!

I think there is a fee to bring them back...I'm not sure how much it is though. The best thing to do is check with the airline that you are flying with for the most accurate information

Just make sure you go through all the proper paperwork and research what is needed. My mom just flew back from Taiwan and on the plane, they announced that if anyone had animals that didn't have all the proper documentation, he or she would be fined $3 million dollars.

Those puppies are cute- malteses right?

Oh ok, I was a little confused by the wording at first. But yea, the only thing you'd have to worry about is that your dog is properly vaccinated against rabies (and that you can show proof of such). Also, some international flights will allow you to take the dog in the cabin with you, as long as it remains in its carrier. When you bring him/her back, I suggest getting a tranquilizer from a vet, since flights can be extremely stressful (for humans as well as animals!) Anyway, I hope everything works out!

I have flown with dogs and cats and have never found a tranqulizer to be necessary. Unless your pet is truly neurotic most vets advise against it especially if being flown in the hold as then your pet will not be able to regulate its temperature. No food for at least 12 hours prior to flying. Also I would recommend buying puppy pads, you can line the carrier with them and simply dispose. I always bring plenty on flights!
Your puppy will be just fine in its carrier and as your pet is under 20lbs can be carried on the flight. You will need to purchase a ticket for your pet and make sure it is done well in advance as they only allow a certain number of pets on board the aircraft. Also even though you will be purchasing a ticket for your pet that carrier will count as your carry on luggage.

Hi I am going through the same thing with bringing my rabbit I have bought in Italy to the us and back with me to italy. It looks like I can it get into the US but having a problem getting it back into italy. According to the NY italian embassy website you cannot import a rabbit there but the USDA website says you can and they told me to get the correct info by calling the italian embassy for myself so I know its frustrating!

I also found out you not only have to do the things the CDC says to get the animal in the US you also have to abide by the rules of the state you are going to be flying into in the US. Here is the website so you can look up the state you are flying to at the bottom of the page.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml