The New CL * DIY * Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ladies, I would like to start a strass project and am trying to decide on which pair of shoes to use. I am looking at some on ebay, and I also have a pair of patent pigalles. Each of the shoes I'm thinking of strassing have creases from wear, either around the sides of the soles where they stretched to accommodate wider feet, or where they've bent on top of the toe, from walking. Do these types of creases become problems with strassing, either in the process of getting even coverage, or as time goes by and the shoes crease from wear?

Also, I know this has been discussed before, but is it absolutely necessary for patent shoes to be sanded or stripped before strassing, or is that just when the shoes will be painted? It seems like sometimes strassing right onto patent works, and sometimes it doesn't. Thanks for input!

Hi ladies, I would like to start a strass project and am trying to decide on which pair of shoes to use. I am looking at some on ebay, and I also have a pair of patent pigalles. Each of the shoes I'm thinking of strassing have creases from wear, either around the sides of the soles where they stretched to accommodate wider feet, or where they've bent on top of the toe, from walking. Do these types of creases become problems with strassing, either in the process of getting even coverage, or as time goes by and the shoes crease from wear?

Also, I know this has been discussed before, but is it absolutely necessary for patent shoes to be sanded or stripped before strassing, or is that just when the shoes will be painted? It seems like sometimes strassing right onto patent works, and sometimes it doesn't. Thanks for input!
Not sure how patent works but as for the creasing, I think it shouldn't be too big of an issue unless the crease causes a huge gap. The gemtac glue for instance dries to be flexible so it should withstand bending and creasing a bit. Good luck! :smile:

Not sure how patent works but as for the creasing, I think it shouldn't be too big of an issue unless the crease causes a huge gap. The gemtac glue for instance dries to be flexible so it should withstand bending and creasing a bit. Good luck! :smile:

Good to know, thanks! And many apologies, I should have said ladies and gents! I'll remember next time :smile:

Hi there. Creasing won't cause an issue. I've strassed several pairs which crease, most notably a pair or Decoltissimo and all went well. I just try to place the crystals in a way where the crease still has some flexibility. Also E6000 or an epoxy is ideal for patent and remains flexible. As for the sanding it is not absolutely necessary but personally I wouldn't strass a pair without sanding. The glossy slick surface doesn't allow for a strong bond.

I hope that helps!

Hi there. Creasing won't cause an issue. I've strassed several pairs which crease, most notably a pair or Decoltissimo and all went well. I just try to place the crystals in a way where the crease still has some flexibility. Also E6000 or an epoxy is ideal for patent and remains flexible. As for the sanding it is not absolutely necessary but personally I wouldn't strass a pair without sanding. The glossy slick surface doesn't allow for a strong bond.

I hope that helps!

Thanks, that helps a lot! What size grit sandpaper would be good for patent? I'm assuming the finer, the better?

Hey ladies, so I'm planning on working on my first strassed pair, I snagged a pair of ron rons on ebay for $250 brand new, so I was thinking of turning them into the louboutin samira which is the ron ron strass, but I can't decide if I want crystal ab or meridian blue, could you ladies help me out :smile:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 542
04.jpg

I am thinking about starting a strass project on this pair. But can someone help me with a few things? First of all is it possible to dye over suede? Second of all, what is the best glue to use/ where can I get the crystals? I found this website http://www.firemountaingems.com/Shop/KW1CTKJHD1WWQNN but not sure if that's where everyone gets them from. Also, how big do I need to buy the crystals? I don't want it too look bulky or something. And what do you use to apply the crystals on to the glue, a pincet or something? Maybe it would be a good thing to post all useful tips in the beginning post so people don't have to answer silly questions like mine every time someone wants to strass.. Because I know all the information is out here in the topics, but it is just so much and spread over more then 500 pages..

Status
Not open for further replies.