the itty bitty square on GP hardware . . . .

I just tried so hard unsuccessfully to take a pic of mine - I was hoping someone could blow it up. I'm not a great photographer to begin with, but this was impossible: all I got that close up was a reflection of my camera, whatever the angle.

It's definitely not that horse's head pictured above though - that much I can see.

This doesn't surprise me. Without going into too much detail, I will say that I've had discussions about little details like this before and been told that certain variations are commonplace and intentional - that hardly helps for the purposes of this thread though.

Great information Style! Do you see a tulip icon anywhere on your camera? Pressing it puts the camera into Macro mode and should enable you to focus better on close-ups of fine detail.

Hi Orchids, I tried the tulips/macro thing on my camera but unsuccessfully so far. Perhaps if I can find a different light source, but really the macro only takes one to a certain distance unfortunately....

I just can't believe they could upt anything in this little box!

IMG_2278WTMK.jpg

Great information Style! Do you see a tulip icon anywhere on your camera? Pressing it puts the camera into Macro mode and should enable you to focus better on close-ups of fine detail.

Yes orchids - I tried the tulip - it's the only thing I know how to use on my whole camera! But all I get this close from any angle and in any light is a reflection of my stupid camera lens in the gold plate and no way to capture that tiny little square........ I'm sure someone with better skills could do it, but I'm clearly not that person.:shame:

^^Oh no, that's what I feared...that square is super-tiny! I'm shocked that that letters and a horse could even be discernible on it! Great info (and effort I might add!).

All of my birkins have something different. My 1996 one has an "S" on the top left and an "L" on the top right with a drawing that doesn't look like a horse but something like a watering can. My 2004 has the watering can-like drawing and no letters. My 2006 has what lookes like an "X" and "Y" upside down with two sides of the "X" in a box. They are all authentic.
What does this mean?

All of my birkins have something different. My 1996 one has an "S" on the top left and an "L" on the top right with a drawing that doesn't look like a horse but something like a watering can. My 2004 has the watering can-like drawing and no letters. My 2006 has what lookes like an "X" and "Y" upside down with two sides of the "X" in a box. They are all authentic.
What does this mean?

That's it! That's it! Thank heaven I'm not going crazy - LOL. I was actually going to describe mine as looking like a watering can, but it sounded too strange to do that (and I don't think it actually IS one). That's what my I (2005) and J (2006) bags look like. My H (2004) stamped one looks like the same "X" and "Y" thing you described - completely different than the others.

Thanks for posting - I was starting to get a complex.:smile: Plus I'm getting crow's feet from squinting through the jeweler's loupe......

What does this mean?

Sus, they're just different gold hallmarks.... from whomever produces the gold piece. I guess, they could "mean" about anything, don't you think?

They're like tiny signs....for lack of a better way to describe them.... like...say, if YOUR company produced this metal plate it might have an S inside the gold square for "Sus" and maybe a ( supposing you love dogs ) dog beside the S.

Remember the Hallmark channel on
TV? The gold crown? It's like that....Hallmark's hallmark is a gold crown.

Thanks Isus for your description. It makes sense. I'd love to know how many different symbols there are and whether there is any pattern.

I am impressed that anyone could photograph something that small.