Thinking of getting Gel Nails?

I did get my gel nails about 2 months ago and love them but I think the novelty has worn off..... My nails, hands looked so perfect---the nail tech is great. The fills came out great and I really can not complain. But the length was so hard getting used to. I had them on the short side to me but they were still long--or my nails are growing fast. I ended up filing down all my nails to just above my fingers this past week. The length was really making some things hard to do. I had problems at first just trying to button clothing......using the computer was hard and trying to dial my cell phone was crazy. I do love the strength my nails have--no breakage and having all my nails the same length. I now think I will just get a gel overlay over my natural nails and not have the tips put on and keep my nails short. It is easier for me to function with shorter nails.

After years of wanting to but never really doing it - I decided to get "fake" nails. Called around. Found out how the different salons did things and then decided to get gel nails. Went to the technician who specialized in gel at a salon and she actually talked me into acrylics. Said they were stronger and less problems. Ok so I tried acrylics back in July. LOVE THEM. They don't come off. They don't break. People think they are natural. The technician and the process they use makes all the difference. She files everything by hand. No nail drills. My nails underneath look fine. Hope this helps.

i have the biosculpture gel nails...love them! i have never been able to grow nails or have a square shape! love that they are soaked off and no damage to my nails! if you are in LA I highly recommend SOAK nails. they don't do fills, they actually soak off the nail completely so that each time you start fresh.

I used to work at a nail salon (as a manager, not a technician) and although we did gel nails, all the technicians I worked with said they would never get them themselves. They really damage your nails. And they're SO expensive to maintain.

Acrylic they told me is even worse for your nails.

The one time I had acrylics, my nails underneath were like toilet tissue-That thin by the time I got them taken off. I'm high maintenance, just not that high maintenance, to commit to life! And I'm not sure it could be life as your "real" nails just suffer. And it takes so long for them to get back to normal. Not worth it!!

I had acrylics for years. Just got tired of the time it took to get them done.
I never had tips though, I had the acrylic over my own nails.

My nails are very strong, and get quite long on their own. I just wanted
the added strength.

I'd really like to get them coated again, but don't have the time!

Both gel nails and acrylics require a lot of maintenance. I've had acrylics put on many times, and I'm pretty sure that they also require the fills that acrylics do. I have heard that gel nails are not as harsh on your real nails as acrylics, but I've never had them so I'm not sure.

I had a bad experience with acrylics once. Two days after I had a full set of pink and whites put on, I was cleaning my shower when my hand slipped and I rammed my pinky nail into the tile wall. It completely lifted the nail up, as well as taking my real nail with it! I had to go to the ER, where they numbed the pinky and removed both the acrylic nail and the real one. It took months for my real nail to grow back, and it was painful for about a week after the procedure :weird: I said never again! Then a couple of years later I got another full set :lol: I love the way they look, but they can be a hassle sometimes.

You should look into the new protein bonded polymer nails. They have a whole new way of doing nail beauty. Acrylics often use primers, which, when put on, create microscopic holes in your nail (think swiss cheese) so that when the acrylic dries and shrinks, it grabs those holes and sticks very tightly. This is why it took off your entire nail, because the acrylic seeps down into those holes and becomes a part of your entire nail.

The new protein bonding technology (see http://www.PersonalSalon.com) only bonds to the top layer of protein in your nail. They don't have to use primers, or even any harsh chemicals, for that matter, so it doesn't seep down the way acrylics do. However, a protein bond is a covalent bond, which is the strongest organic bond, so it stays put. But the great part is that if you do bump your nail hard enough to rip off the extension, it only takes off the top layer of your nail, so you won't lose your whole nail the way you did with acrylics (see Personal Salon's testimonial page for someone that had it happen).

I used to be the manager of a nail salon, and all the technicians I worked with hated gel nails because of the damage they do to your nails. If a customer came in with good nails, they'd always try to convince them not to get it done (which, of course, we never told the owner!).

Plus I heard the UV boxes they put your nails in to harden can cause skin cancer.

Hi,
After getting a french manicure last week and having it last three days:amazed: ...I am thinking about getting gel nails. I like the look of them in the french manicure. Does anyone here have them and what are your thoughts on them? My friend has the nails glued on top of her nails with fills every two weeks but her have uplifted and a feew fell off in the past year so I thought gel was a better way to go. Any thoughts on this:smile: Thanks.

Hi I am a nail tech and I would highly recommend Bio Sculpture Gel it is the only Gel product on the market that gets tested and has a 5 star safety rating. Go check out the website www.biosculpturegel.com It comes in 150 colors and all soak off in 10 minutes leaving your nails in the same if not better condition then before.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend just did gel french nails and they are positively gorgeous but the blunt truth is any processing done on your nails kills them over time. In my case, I am like a former alcoholic. I label myself as a cronic nail biter and always thought anything over my nails is better than a bitten nail. However, after having done it all, including gel, I really feel having them done religiously every single week with good ole fashioned polish is best. I keep my nails short and groomed and love it that way!

Oh and no harsh filling EVER! No chipping or breaking.

I wish this could be true...

I had the biosculpture gel put on my nails about 3 months ago..just the gel overlay, no tips..my nails grew out beautifully and looked great for a long time..just went and had them filled every 3 weeks...
Then after the third time, she really did a lot of filing (which I didn't think they had to do) and my nails felt a bit fragile when I got out of there...
After a few days they started breaking...every single one, deep down in the nail..on both sides..my nails now look worse than they have ever done..I know they will look better in a few weeks and I would love to get them back to the shape they were in..but aren't the biosculpture gel supposed to be harmless?? Was it the technician's fault? She did file my nails an awful lot on the sides and I was unhappy with that, it always makes my nails week...

Anybody else had experiences with biosculpture nails?