Zippy Wallet Hardware

sedamier

Nov 16, 2011
Are there any zippy wallet owners that have had issues with the hardware turning colors or losing lusture. I was told at the LV store that the hardware is not even brass any longer. It is paladium dipped in brass several times. Ugh!

sedamier said:
Are there any zippy wallet owners that have had issues with the hardware turning colors or losing lusture. I was told at the LV store that the hardware is not even brass any longer. It is paladium dipped in brass several times. Ugh!

The zippers on LV bags and SLGs have not been brass in almost 15 years. Yes. They will tarnish and turn silver. This is why I buy things with the least amount of hardware now. Particularly bad are the speedy Bs. They didn't even try to match the plated metal hardware. It's 2 different colors.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hardware on a Zippy wallet. I have definitely noticed that the zipper pulls on the smaller SLGs like the clés are not great quality. They feel almost plasticky and are very light, and a couple of mine have started to turn silvery. However, the zipper pull on my Zippy Compact Wallet is very heavy and sturdy, and after a year and a half of daily use, being zipped and unzipped several times a day, it's still like new. Hairline scratches of course, which are unavoidable, but certainly no colour loss or tarnishing of any kind. I think they use higher quality hardware on the more pricey SLGs. (Don't get me wrong - it's ridiculous that they use cheap hardware on even the 'cheap' SLGs, because they're still all upwards of £100!)

In any case, if it chips or discolours, they will more than likely replace the zipper pull at no cost and often can do it in the boutiques.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hardware on a Zippy wallet. I have definitely noticed that the zipper pulls on the smaller SLGs like the clés are not great quality. They feel almost plasticky and are very light, and a couple of mine have started to turn silvery. However, the zipper pull on my Zippy Compact Wallet is very heavy and sturdy, and after a year and a half of daily use, being zipped and unzipped several times a day, it's still like new. Hairline scratches of course, which are unavoidable, but certainly no colour loss or tarnishing of any kind. I think they use higher quality hardware on the more pricey SLGs. (Don't get me wrong - it's ridiculous that they use cheap hardware on even the 'cheap' SLGs, because they're still all upwards of £100!)

In any case, if it chips or discolours, they will more than likely replace the zipper pull at no cost and often can do it in the boutiques.

Yes good info. However I have seen other people's zippy wallets where the outside zipper and zipper pull had turned and tarnished. But the inside was still golden. LV should have never gotten away from the original hardware (brass). We love LV and what they were known for (impeccable quality and durability)

I have had my Mono Zippy wallet for five years today. The wallet and zipper still look like new - and I use it every day. I do not change out my wallets.

That was one reason I was goin to go with epi leather. The hardware is palladium silver tone and I didn't think it would fade. I just don't wanna spend almost a $1000 on something that will be destroyed. And I'm not hard on my wallets.