Zippers and what to do about them

Robyn Loraine

Jan 14, 2010
Hey all,

I recently got a preloved bag off ebay. She's really beautiful and vibrant but i noticed one of the zippers is tarnished. I tried doing some surface cleaning with some lemon and a baking soda,hydrogen peroxide,water mixture but so far only the top layer of grunge came off. Does balenciaga replace zipper heads? It still runs just fine,it just looks bad. TIA

Also on a side note there's a small piece of the leather on the bottom of the bag flaking off. Should i try to glue it in place and then moisturize?

Attachments

• 1408820002979.jpg
    1408820002979.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 340
  • 1408820015483.jpg
    1408820015483.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 1408820028345.jpg
    1408820028345.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 339
I've never had a zipper head tarnish, but could you try taking it to a local cobbler to see if maybe they could fix it? I would think it would be way cheaper than if Balenciaga itself could fix it.

As far as the small flap...If it were me, I don't know that I would glue it. The only thing I would be afraid of would be that it wouldn't stay and then you would end up with a glue spot. Does it look like it will tear further?

I've never had a zipper head tarnish, but could you try taking it to a local cobbler to see if maybe they could fix it? I would think it would be way cheaper than if Balenciaga itself could fix it.

As far as the small flap...If it were me, I don't know that I would glue it. The only thing I would be afraid of would be that it wouldn't stay and then you would end up with a glue spot. Does it look like it will tear further?

But if it isn't a lampo zipper wont it make people think the bag is fake if I try to sell it?

That's a good point about the glue spot. It's like right on the edge so I doubt it would tear further, because it has nowhere to go. Do you think I should just tear it off?

But if it isn't a lampo zipper wont it make people think the bag is fake if I try to sell it?

That's a good point about the glue spot. It's like right on the edge so I doubt it would tear further, because it has nowhere to go. Do you think I should just tear it off?

I might be inclined to just snip it off to prevent it from tearing any further (although you're right, where it is, it doesn't look like it will further tear). I would hold off on doing so until you hear from others on here...maybe someone has a method to fix it.

I didn't even think about the Lampo not being on the zipper. I usually don't sell my bags (my Bals at least), so that thought never crossed my mind. Have your tried contacting your Balenciaga SA? They replaced one of my GSH studs that I lost, so I would be they can fix the zipper with the proper Lampo zipper.

I might be inclined to just snip it off to prevent it from tearing any further (although you're right, where it is, it doesn't look like it will further tear). I would hold off on doing so until you hear from others on here...maybe someone has a method to fix it.

I didn't even think about the Lampo not being on the zipper. I usually don't sell my bags (my Bals at least), so that thought never crossed my mind. Have your tried contacting your Balenciaga SA? They replaced one of my GSH studs that I lost, so I would be they can fix the zipper with the proper Lampo zipper.

I just emailed the Balenciaga boutique at Caesars forum. Hopefully they can help. I also emailed Barbara at LMB, though I don't know if they replace zippers.

I seem to end up selling everything! I am always revamping my closet, so that's something I think about. :biggrin: Thank you for your insights!

I just emailed the Balenciaga boutique at Caesars forum. Hopefully they can help. I also emailed Barbara at LMB, though I don't know if they replace zippers.

I seem to end up selling everything! I am always revamping my closet, so that's something I think about. :biggrin: Thank you for your insights!

I love Bal at Caesar's. Mayra is my SA there...she is such a doll. :smile:

They just referred me to somewhere called Magic Shoe? It seems more and more like I'm going to have to send the bag away for a fix...

I'm not positive, but that may have been where Mayra was going to refer me before for a fix that Balenciaga couldn't do. If that's the place, she said she has sent her bags to them before and she was happy with the work that they did.

They just referred me to somewhere called Magic Shoe? It seems more and more like I'm going to have to send the bag away for a fix...

I just texted Mayra...She said that you should either contact the New York store, since they carry most of the spare parts, or you can email her directly and she can try to help you out. If you want to email her, just email the Balenciaga Caesar's address and put her name in the subject line. :smile:

I just texted Mayra...She said that you should either contact the New York store, since they carry most of the spare parts, or you can email her directly and she can try to help you out. If you want to email her, just email the Balenciaga Caesar's address and put her name in the subject line. :smile:

Thank you for letting me know about that! I sent her an email, so hopefully I heard back. :smile:

Haven't heard back from your SA yet. Or LMB. Rago brothers (who do Nordstrom's bag repairs) quoted $65 for it. :wtf:

I would glue the piece of leather if I were you. I did it on one of my bags using some leather glue, and now I even can't find where it was before. I glued and conditioned after it.
I'm no help with zipper. I have similar problem on my Magenta, but I just ignore it :smile:

Update, i tried a jewellers cloth on the zipper. It still has pocket marks from where the rust sat but i think it looks much nicer. Also heres more photos of the tear, i was thinking of using aleenes fabric fusion glue on it,which is what some ladies used on their split tassels (the tear is in the upper right of that wide shot of the whole bottom of the bag). Its water based and i believe non acidic. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 1409019047528.jpg
    1409019047528.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 1409019059260.jpg
    1409019059260.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 1409019090514.jpg
    1409019090514.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 278