Zip Zip Satchel Lovers Unite!

Don't you find it a pain not to be handsfree while shopping? Or grocery shopping? It does look so much better, to handcarry...
Yes, hand carrying a handbag isn't as convenient as shoulder or cross body. But the 'pain' of shoulder carry or crossbody from my arthritis doesn't give me much choice. And I do like the way a handbag looks when carried in the hand or on the arm.

Reactions: Lilybarb and ivdw
I love the zip zips and ordered on on QVC in red but when I received it the piping on the inside of the handles was messed up, almost like it was smooshed together. I sent it back for the elephant since red was no longer in stock but same thing with the elephant one I received. Has anybody noticed wonky piping on the handles or am I just overly picky?

Attachments

• 1547863068151-1955277618.jpg
    1547863068151-1955277618.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 282
I love the zip zips and ordered on on QVC in red but when I received it the piping on the inside of the handles was messed up, almost like it was smooshed together. I sent it back for the elephant since red was no longer in stock but same thing with the elephant one I received. Has anybody noticed wonky piping on the handles or am I just overly picky?
Hi Oobbyy, I"m sorry that I can't help with your initial question because it has been at least a year since I bought a zip zip. However, for the second part of your question, I don't think you are being picky at all. The issue indicated in your pic would bother me because it is an obvious defect. With that being said, you have a better idea of what it looks like IRL. Can you live with the defect? Is it noticeable when carrying the bag? Let us know what you decide.

Hi Oobbyy, I"m sorry that I can't help with your initial question because it has been at least a year since I bought a zip zip. However, for the second part of your question, I don't think you are being picky at all. The issue indicated in your pic would bother me because it is an obvious defect. With that being said, you have a better idea of what it looks like IRL. Can you live with the defect? Is it noticeable when carrying the bag? Let us know what you decide.
It's
It's not noticeable, only to me but I guess I'm just weird about defects. I find most of my Dooneys on Postmark so when I get a new bag it bothers me when it has defects, and since this is the second bag that has the same wonky edging I hate to go through the hassle of exchanging yet again with QVC. I'm wondering if perhaps a leather or shoe repair shop could possibly smooth it out? I guess it it's worth trying.

Hi, I had this happen just a month ago with Dooney (not ILD) and had to return 2 Saffiano zip zips in Bordeaux. The glazing is suppose to be smooth. On mine, it was both handles and most of the handles. It seems the glazing Cracked and the factory attempted reglazing over the cracks. After I sent the bags back, Dooney removed numerous colors on their website. I have been checking periodically for a replenishment and they still have only a couple colors. You are not being picky, the handles are defective on the bag and you should get a replacement. Good Luck.

Hi, I had this happen just a month ago with Dooney (not ILD) and had to return 2 Saffiano zip zips in Bordeaux. The glazing is suppose to be smooth. On mine, it was both handles and most of the handles. It seems the glazing Cracked and the factory attempted reglazing over the cracks. After I sent the bags back, Dooney removed numerous colors on their website. I have been checking periodically for a replenishment and they still have only a couple colors. You are not being picky, the handles are defective on the bag and you should get a replacement. Good Luck.

SBQ: thanks for the info. We now need to be careful about ordering these bags/colors online or on the phone from ILD and the outlets, since we have no way of knowing where the defective bags will show up. And of course, resale sites are a possibility too.

My love for satchels started when I bought the D&B Double Pocket Satchel when it was a TSV on QVC in 2009 or 10. Until then I carried medium-large totes. But l loved the simple, classic look of a satchel, and I was willing to "try" to downsize my items to carry a satchel. Then the Zip Zip satchels debuted and it made carrying all my junk so much easier to access! My first love is still a tote style, but I have collected a few satchels since the TSV. ( Single zip satchels: Florentine Toscana satchel, D&B Olivia satchel, Prix de Dressage satchel, mini zebra Juilette and Ruby nylon zebra satchels, and a red Pebble Grain double pocket satchel. ) When I buy a bag I try to get it in red because that's my most favorite color to carry. That's the main reason I don't have multiples of the exact same style because I'm always looking for something in red first.

I've been in Vegas since June 27th with the grandkids. They're going back with my DD on Monday and I'll be here another week. (That's when I hit the Outlet!) I've been carrying my Coach Tyler tote everyday, but I packed my mini zebra Juliette in case I wanted a smaller bag, but I haven't used it yet. Since I'm not home I can't take new pictures of my zip zip satchels so I'm attaching pics from previous posts. (And also including my Coach Tyler tote since that's the one I've been carrying and "she" wants a photo op! ;) )
View attachment 3779285 View attachment 3779286 View attachment 3779288 View attachment 3779291

I am in LOVE :heart: with your blue D&B, pic #2. Is that the D&B Olivia satchel? What is the name of the color? I haven't seen one ever and it's beautiful I also like your other two D&B and your Coach Tyler as well. ❤️

Reactions: RuedeNesle
I am in LOVE :heart: with your blue D&B, pic #2. Is that the D&B Olivia satchel? What is the name of the color? I haven't seen one ever and it's beautiful I also like your other two D&B and your Coach Tyler as well. ❤️
Hi Purse&ShoeLvr! :wave:
Thank you very much! I bought it on QVC. It's no longer available but if you go to qvc.com and enter A255089 you'll see the bag and reviews. The color is marine. It was a previous TSV on QVC so it came with the accessories you'll see in the listing. Belk currently has a very similar version available. It doesn't have the accessories, and the strap attaches to the handles, instead of a separate D ring. I also think it doesn't have the back zipper pocket.

https://www.belk.com/p/dooney-bourk...aZk1YtETAHayCZDQOocaAnW7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You're showing your occupation as a RN. Thank you for your service during this time!:heart:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilybarb
I might be buying my first zip zip but am curious how is Dooneys pebble leather ? Is it like coaches ? Coaches seems very rough , durable but rough lol
Dooney has several different pebbled leathers. The pebbled leather on the zip zip isn't rough (none of Dooney's pebbled leathers is rough). All of Dooney's pebbled leathers are durable, wear well, resist scratching and are easily kept clean.

I have many Dooney pebbled leather zip zips....I think it's a great style. But, I think the pebbled leather used on the zip zip is thinner than the pebbled leather Dooney uses in some other collections. Just my opinion.
The only recent Coach handbags I have are the Dreamer 36... that leather is thicker and much more similar to Dooney's Dillen pebbled leather or Florentine leather. But my guess is that Coach also has several different leathers they call pebbled leather.

Dooney's original pebbled leather was the All Weather Leather. That was much thicker and much denser than todays pebbled leather varieties. I believe the All Weather Leather was made by shrinking the leather... resulting in more leather per inch. Today's pebbled leathers are made differently, I believe.

Enjoy your new Dooney.