Zip broke on my jacket - what can I do?

EG7

Nov 3, 2009
Hi guys,

I bought a Boss jacket from selfridges about 6 months ago. I haven't really worn it much, but the other day I went to zip it up and the metal bit of the zip snapped off. I thought it had just fallen off, but the actual metal had snapped off. I'm kind of annoyed considering I paid £200 for the jacket and it damaged so easily, is there any way I can resolve this?

Thanks,
EG7.

PS. I bought it in the London store, and I live about 3 hours away in Wales.

Last edited:
I would call the store and see if you could ship it back to them to either repair or exchange for another coat. If not, you can go to a tailor and get the zipper replaced. I don't think that it can be repaired once the metal teeth of the zipper come off.

Good luck!

I would call the store and see if you could ship it back to them to either repair or exchange for another coat. If not, you can go to a tailor and get the zipper replaced. I don't think that it can be repaired once the metal teeth of the zipper come off.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, it's not the actual zipper that has broken it's kind of hard to explain. Here's a close-up of the zip of the same jacket I have in another colour:

http://www.julesb.co.uk/menswear-1/sweatshirts-65/boss-green-skaz-zip-360457-30412.jpg

Basically the metal bit with the Boss logo on it has snapped off (the bit with the thin metal has snapped). It would be an easy fix I presume, it's just annoying me because it's a pain to zip up. Do you think they would fix it?

you can just have a tailor put a generic zipper pull on, or if you really want the boss one, try to contact boss and see if they will let you mail it back for repair.

I think you can change the entire zipper. I used to work at an alteration/dry cleaning place.

It might be a bit costly so I think it's better to contact Boss about it first and see if they can cover the repair costs.

If it is just the tab part, you can replace it with a nice ribbon, or a nice decorative key chain. If it is the actual skinny bit on the closure (sort-of a loop that held the pulling part in place), the part that held the pull-it-up part, I think you need to get the whole zipper replaced. If the entire zipper needs replacing, I'd definitely contact the store about this, and if you don't get satisfaction, contact the manufacturer.

Thanks for the info, it's not the actual zipper that has broken it's kind of hard to explain. Here's a close-up of the zip of the same jacket I have in another colour:

http://www.julesb.co.uk/menswear-1/sweatshirts-65/boss-green-skaz-zip-360457-30412.jpg

Basically the metal bit with the Boss logo on it has snapped off (the bit with the thin metal has snapped). It would be an easy fix I presume, it's just annoying me because it's a pain to zip up. Do you think they would fix it?

This happens all the time to my husband's jackets. Those little metal zipper pulls are made of shoddy metal these days and they break easily. If you've contacted the store and the manufacturer and have gotten no satisfaction, take the jacket to a sewing/fabric store and find a zipper with teeth that are the same size. (Zippers are pretty standard in the teeth and pull departments these days.) At home you can do slight snips to one side of the zipper in your jacket (do it at the top above the teeth, being careful not to cut into the nylon teeth), slide out the old broken pull and slide on the new pull that you snipped out of the new zipper. Then make a stitch or two to sew up the snip. It's usually overkill to replace the whole zipper. In men's jackets zippers tend to be sewn in as if they're intended to survive a nuclear war.

This kind of zipper surgery takes only minutes. In fact I usually end up doing it at least once or twice each winter to my husband's favorite jackets.