Zendaya Coleman to Play Aaliyah in Lifetime Biopic

Sasha2012

Jul 28, 2012
2ccxx21.jpg

Lifetime is loading up on R&B biopics. Shortly after getting the gears in motion for a telepic based on the life of the late Whitney Houston, the cable network has announced plans for a project on the short-lived career of '90s phenom Aaliyah.

Stepping into the singer's shoes is Disney Channel fixture Zendaya Coleman. The star of series Shake It Up! recently gained widespread recognition with a stint on Dancing With the Stars.

Aaliyah, who topped the charts from 1994 to her death at just 22 years old in 2001, has yet to get a biopic treatment. This film, tentatively titled Aaliyah: Princess of R&B, will be based off of Christopher Farley's bestselling biography Aaliyah: More Than a Woman.
Coleman brings more than just acting chops to the role. She is also a singer and released a self-titled debut in 2013 -- the first single selling more than 1 million copies.

The film is being produced by Aaliyah Productions, Inc., with Howard Braunstein (The Informant!) and Debra Martin Chase (The Princess Diaries) serving as executive producers. Bradley Walsh (Turn the Beat Around) will direct from a script written by Michael Elliot (Brown Sugar).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/zendaya-coleman-play-aaliyah-lifetime-712231[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with this person. I hope they do a helluva job in make-up. I'm not seeing it..but I also said that for the TLC biopic cast and was pleasantly surprised.

She's cute - saw her sing the national anthem at an NFL game last year. Very little interest - afraid she will sing one of the worst songs ever made - rock the boat. I was subjected to it yesterday and I'm still having flashbacks.

Aaliyah biopic to detail relationship with R. Kelly

mms77k.jpg

An upcoming Lifetime movie on the late R&B singer Aaliyah will include details of her controversial relationship with crooner R. Kelly, sources tell Page Six.

The 1990s diva — who was tragically killed in a 2001 plane crash when she was just 22 — was alleged to have secretly, illegally married her mentor Kelly in 1994 when she was 15 and he was 27.

Though the couple denied the union, a marriage certificate was eventually revealed that falsely listed Aaliyah’s age as 18.

The marriage was reportedly annulled by her parents. The movie, starring Disney star Zendaya and based on a biography by Christopher John Farley, will cover Aaliyah’s life from 10 years old to her death at 22.

Kelly’s come under fire for other alleged relationships with underage girls.

Executive producer Debra Martin Chase told us, “Aaliyah’s personal and professional relationship with R. Kelly will be explored with care in the film as we set out to depict her life with the utmost respect. Above all else, it’s our hope to inspire an entirely new generation with her music and larger-than-life talent.”

http://pagesix.com/2014/06/22/aaliyah-biopic-to-detail-relationship-with-r-kelly/