Zales~ what you Must know....Help!

Ghost55

Aug 28, 2006
Long story short~ I broke my original 15 year old wedding band/set. It was not the same to me as it would have to be melted/changed etc... So, a month ago I purchased a fabulous wedding set from Zales. Love the the set, it was purchased on vacation and had to be sized/stone put in and shipped to my home area zales. When I received it my personal jeweler stated it was not set securely. I then had to take it back to zales and have it redone. I get it back, have it for a short week maybe and then I purchase a new diamond and my personal jeweler looks at it to re-size it smaller...

She noticed prongs broke down the shank and a chipped diamond which ends up being a CZ:nono:!!!
They must have broke one of my smaller diamonds and replaced it with a Fake and did not fix the damage my ring incurred.

Zales not only did not set my ring securely the 1st time but then proceeded to break/damage my ring while committing fraud.

I am in the process of discussing this with management and I am not sure how much $ to ask for in return for all the drama.

Sizing/diamond setting cost was $60
Shipping was $30

I now have to pay my jeweler to Fix all of this...I do not know the price on this as of yet. I am meeting with her this evening.

Any advice/help would be fab please~
I was thinking $200 ?? $300??

It is the one second from the bottom with a little pink on it, my jeweler marked it so she could take the pic etc.. the prongs are split/broke as well to the left.
Jennifer Green-1.jpg

Zales is not on the BBB, and yes I plan on filing a complaint in the future. I have already called my lawyer to discuss possibilities. I am awaiting his call~

I think you can still make a BBB complaint without them being on the list. Ask your local BBB chapter. Take lots of picture. You can avoid court, if you write to their manager and address it to BBB as well. Communicate in writing with Zales, I think they are part of other chains of diamond stores, but they may be owned by specific owners. Have them reply to you in writing and by phone. You should have all your receipts for repair.

WOW!! I am just shocked. So sorry to hear of the situation and I hope they fix it, ASAP. I have never purchased anything from Zales but I thought they had a good reputation.

That's terrible. Definitely speak to the Manager but also get the name of the Regional Manager (they have WAY more authority then the store Manager) and contact them directly. Make sure you have proof of everything. Save all receipts and any other documentation you can gather.

Back in the day I was the office manager at Bailey Banks and Biddle (they were part of Zales Corp), I know for that store the in house jeweler was a sub-contractor (meaning he did not really work for the company). Not sure if that's the case with the Zales store, but if it is they (Zales) might not even know he did that. I can't imagine ANY jewelry store doing something that fraudulent on purpose and if they are aware and let that happen, well then they need to be sued.

[FONT=&quot]Good luck and I’m sorry about your ring[/FONT]

Hey all, thanks for your input. I just got off the phone with my lawyer and he stated to request that Zales pay for the repair job. The repair job only~ Lets forget about the fact that it was completely wrong and has caused some emotional turmoil...lol....

Following that if it is resolved, I will no longer be a client of theirs and will look to the BBB.

I am keeping the wedding set as I adore it and got it at a fabulous price. I actually got it for cost...which is almost unheard of any more :smile:

Hey all, thanks for your input. I just got off the phone with my lawyer and he stated to request that Zales pay for the repair job. The repair job only~ Lets forget about the fact that it was completely wrong and has caused some emotional turmoil...lol....

Following that if it is resolved, I will no longer be a client of theirs and will look to the BBB.

I am keeping the wedding set as I adore it and got it at a fabulous price. I actually got it for cost...which is almost unheard of any more :smile:

True....the law doesn't necessarily care about your emotional turmoil (no offense), but fraud is illegal. They cannot replace a genuine diamond with a cz and not inform you. You can most certainly sue for fraud. If you had not had the ring checked out by your personal jeweler you would have never known (about the cz). I am not talking about the sh*tty repair job, that unfortunately is a buyer beware sort of situation. I am strictly speaking on the fact that a genuine diamond was replaced without your knowledge or consent with a cz, that is fraud and therefore illegal and they are liable.

I wouldn't care about the setting since it was done poorly, but moreso the replaced CZ. now that's pretty shady business.

Zales is listed with the BBB, my co-worker filed a complaint and before doing so, she noticed many other complaints with similar issues.

Good Luck hope it all works out for you.

http://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-reviews/jewelers-retail/zale-corporation-in-irving-tx-3062

FYI: My experience with the BBB's involvement in a dispute with a company has been pretty 50-50. SEVERAL times now, if a business pays to be an "accredited business" with a rating, suddenly it's either found in the business' favor or "administratively judged" which means you can sue but they're not getting involved because they'll find in their paying customers favor aka NOT YOU.

Since, I dropped my ring off on Saturday to have the diamond put in...my lawyer states that I have had the ring in anothers posession therefore, Zales can state that it was not them. My jeweler is replacing the stone with one of her own that matches and I have a repair bill of $50. In short~ I am screwed because the ring was at another jewelers.