Yves vs. Havana: the great hobo debate

enga4

E.N.G.A.T.5.
Apr 25, 2009
Since I started my hh collection buying small pieces and accessories, I still have yet to buy a hobo from them. Yves has ever-so-slightly smaller dimensions than Havana, but I wonder if they count the fold-over flap extended as part of it's height. They're also the same price for FW (not that I'd be paying full price, at any time though!:P). Any Havana lovers want to inspire me? Maybe I should go w. the Yves, though? (It's flap seems more polished, but I'm terrible about closing my bags, and it would bug me that to close it would take so much effort, turnlock, etc. and it wouldn't look good staying open, kwim?!) Are they coming in different colors? I know Havana usually comes in the widest variety. *Ok, ramble over, discuss!

LOL! I'm not loving the Yves, for a few of the reasons you've mentioned (I want a hobo to be BOHO and not fussy!!) I think they Yves is less hobo more "bucket" (think old Coach). The Havana is amazing, if the strap works for you (for some it doesn't). It's the most comfortable, LIGHTWEIGHT HH bag I own, it looks great full or mostly empty, it conforms to your body, is easy to get in and out of (even while it's on your shoulder) and PUDDLES like some kind of otherworldly pet when you set it down beside you. And it holds a ton.

(My Euc Havana literally doesn't weight anything... my Bowery Clutch weighs more. All my Lorcas... it's amazing. There's no structure to it, and very little hardware...)

However... it does have FOUR outer pockets, rounding it out. And a mini tassel, which I prefer over the larger ones--just more subtle imo. I guess I'll have to wait for irl pics. That always sells me. But the flap I don't think I can do. :s

OK... I do have to say that you will get used to the flap if you use it often enough; you'll build that "muscle memory" like Derek Jeeter has throwing to first. It'll become second nature. BUT it's still fussy for a hobo. :P

You know what? I'm not crazy about the Havana. *ducks to avoid projectiles*
I think it's a little boring. :biggrin: But it does hold a ton and is lightweight, as Jenni says. I'm kind of excited about Yves, especially in grape, but cognac (is that right? can't remember exactly - the brown) looks interesting too...

No projectiles, Angie! The Havana is a love-it (and buy like twenty) or hate it. There's nothing jazzy about it... it's a shape thing. Like an old cardigan. I just love the way it hangs, and I really really love the strap. But you're right... I think that's why people hunt for Clyde tassels for their Havanas :smile:

I like your comparison to an old cardigan. I admit I do love the Havana strap. BUT, I've carried mine for less than a year and am pretty much done. My mom wants it (that is until I tell her I'm not crazy about it, which is when she'll ask, "Which one are you crazy about?" and I'll say, "Trophy," and she'll say, "I want the trophy," and it will be like it's her idea in the first place.). grr

I don't see how a gal can have one and exclude the other. They are like cousins. Same genetics, but unique characters with notable differences. The Havana is a slouch bag. No getting around it. It is my favorite "throw on and go to the movies" bag. But, I like the Yves (which is so close in size) for several reasons:

1) The Havana's front pockets are so small they do not really carry much - leaving the one zip pocket in the back to carry the "outside load". The Yves has those 4 spacious "easy to slide in" pockets like that vintage HH one (the Nico?). I like those outside pockets better

2) The Havana has studs. It has zippers. It has zipper pulls with studs. To me, it is the more fussy bag. The Yves is a bag to show off leather. I think we will find that HH used a great leather on this bag... because it is a bag that is all about the leather. The only hardware on it is the turnclasp and the little detachable tassel. I am excited to see what HH calls "a gorgeous rustic leather".

3) The Yves has the foldover fish-mouth (as Gingey calls it) opening of the Havana. I think the photo HH has of it has it stuffed with tissue beyond the drop of the foldover so that it doesn't get to "slouch" in the middle of the top like the Havana's picture. I think it will slouch enough that if its owner doesn't want to turn the clasp, they won't have to.

4) Zoom into the Yves clasp. It is not the fold-down turnlock clasp of the other bags. It is a smooth oval doorknob-type turn.

yvescloseupofturnlock.jpg

5) The strap rocks on the Yves. That is the Havana's weak point. The adjustable sections on the Yves strap looks so much more functional. Closeup of strap:

yvescloseupofstrap.jpg

6) I really would love to see the bottom of the Yves bag. It looks a bit more framed than the Havana. As Jenn said, a touch of a bucket bag's base. I think that will make carrying chunkier things easier. When I carried large, chunky things like cameras and boxes with lenses, my Havana got "pooches" (dimples) along its side that I would have to smooth out. A more defined base would have helped with this. I think the Havana is a great bag if you are carrying a lot of smallies, but large items can be a bit difficult to the turn of the leather at the bottom of the bag.

That's my comparison of the two bags. I think it would be great to own both. I only hope the handbag fairy brings me a BIG deposit of cash under my pillow before the sales. Because all my early-season money will go to the more structured bags first: Trophy, Biblio, Franklin, Burke... ouch, I am in financial tizzy already!

Last edited:
Great analysis, as usual! I think I meant "fussy" rather in the flap closure issue, although you're right that the Yves doesn't have the additional step of the flip-down, and you're absolutely right about the bucket-bag structure being better for rigid, bulky items. I've noticed in my Havana(s!!) that anything boxy (like an SLR camera, etc) can get turned around and ruin the lines of the bag (as well as feel uncomfortable).

Are you thinking this is the same leather as your Farrow? Does that leather "read" rustic?

Yes, my Farrow leather is what I would think HH calls "rustic". Who was it that got the cognac Talitha clutch on the OAK auction? That one they actually called "rustic" in their listing at that time. I think that may be the same leather overlaid on a boxed base. It is a leather that should handle scuffs well.

But what's "rustic" about it? Pre-scuffed? You said it's pebbled and thicker than the Cordovan-type spongey leather? Is the Cognac stiffer by itself? (Sorry... should take this to the fall line thread... will do so.)

Thanks for the in-depth analysis, RMC! For me, there's too many different awesome styles this FW to justify going for TWO hobos.
If you're right about the turnlock, maybe it'll close on its own if the bag's not stuffed to death?
Probably w. all of my squarish organizer bags, a Havana might get bunchy? Or only w. really boxy items?
I can't tell from pics, is the cog. leather more brown or orange, as that'd make a huge difference for me. However, the purple looks stunning and saturated, kinda like that RM bag just acquired in that other thread!

If you like easy access, remember that all pockets zip on the Havana, while all pockets on the Yves are magnetic closure. Now, to the color. The photos are way off. I don't know if you were here for the special one-of-a-kinds auction when HH auctioned items that would not go into production? I won a cognac Farrow, which Gingey named the "orange football" based on the photo. I think either LuLu or Missty kept photos of the auctions. I would love to get that original photo of the Farrow, because it was so radically different from the IRL bag. Look again at the current web photos HH has of the Cognac, then look at my cognac below. Mine may be different from the cognac they are putting into production. But, I don't think it can be that radically different.

Close-up of Cognac Leather (Farrow Satchel):

P1010063.jpg