Yves Saint Laurent changing to Saint Laurent Paris?!?!

deltalady

O.G.
Oct 25, 2011
I just read that YSL has confirmed that they will be changing their name to Saint Laurent Paris! I for one do not like this at all! What will happen to all of the bags bearing the 'Y' logo? Am I the only one that thinks this is a terrible idea??

I don't quite see the point. Everyone will still call it YSL, rather than SLP (umm...). I don't know if it'll nessecarily be a bad idea, but definately unnessecary. I can't see how it will really revitalise the brand in any meaningful way.

Ugh. I think Hedi is heading to the wrong direction with this one. Granted he'd design from Los Angeles instead of Paris, let's give him that; but to totally revamp Yves Saint Laurent to Saint Laurent Paris, à la Balmain Paris removing Pierre is absolutely unnecessary. Oh Hedi. I'm not averse to changes as long as it is justifiable. Yves must be rolling in his grave with what Hedi's doing,

Last edited:
I just read that YSL has confirmed that they will be changing their name to Saint Laurent Paris! I for one do not like this at all! What will happen to all of the bags bearing the 'Y' logo? Am I the only one that thinks this is a terrible idea??

I too think this is stupid. Why take something so recognisable and change it? With YSL, the name is the brand! The best acronym ever! :biggrin:

à la Balmain Paris removing Pierre is absolutely unnecessary.

Ummm, it was necessary to differentiate between Balmain, and Pierre Balmian which is a contemporary diffusion brand, much like Dolce&Gabbana and D&G... or Giorgio/Emporio Armani, Burberry Brit/London/Prorsum etc.

Ummm, it was necessary to differentiate between Balmain, and Pierre Balmian which is a contemporary diffusion brand, much like Dolce&Gabbana and D&G... or Giorgio/Emporio Armani, Burberry Brit/London/Prorsum etc.

The reference to Balmain, actually, was just the removal of the first name and not itself being unnecessary in distinguishing the diffusion from the main. I think it was not properly worded and that was not what I meant to say. It has nothing to do with the contemporary diffusion line that resurfaced. I just made a simple first name removal analogy of Yves Saint Laurent to Saint Laurent and Pierre Balmain to Balmain and nothing more to it; absolutely no allusion to the necessity itself (or lack thereof). Hope it's clearer now. :flowers:

Last edited: