Yurman turquoise is really colored resin??????

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
So I am in the market for the Yurman turquoise chatelaine ring. Right before I purchased this afternoon, I noticed a link on the FAQ page on the website that Yurman uses simulated turquoise and not real turquoise!!! WTF?? The ring I am looking at is close to $3k for RESIN???

So I called Yurman because the site says that SOME of their pieces are simulated. The customer service rep was full of $h!t stating that all pieces I am interested in are the real thing. I don't buy it.

I love this ring but I am struggling. Thoughts??

IMG_1490480549.292794.jpg

Reactions: Passerine123
Synthetic isn't resin it's the exact same stone but made in a laboratory by simulating the required temperature, pressure and chemical composition.

Cartier also uses synthetic sapphire and spinal as cabochons in many of their watches.

Synthetic isn't resin it's the exact same stone but made in a laboratory by simulating the required temperature, pressure and chemical composition.

Cartier also uses synthetic sapphire and spinal as cabochons in many of their watches.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be as concerned if it was an accent stone but it is a main stone and it is resin. Here is the exact description from the Yurman website.
IMG_1490490901.774815.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be as concerned if it was an accent stone but it is a main stone and it is resin. Here is the exact description from the Yurman website.
View attachment 3646123

At the prices they are asking, they shouldn't be using simulants but rather synthetics if natural stones aren't available, but I feel like this is just a cop out to increase profit.

So I am in the market for the Yurman turquoise chatelaine ring. Right before I purchased this afternoon, I noticed a link on the FAQ page on the website that Yurman uses simulated turquoise and not real turquoise!!! WTF?? The ring I am looking at is close to $3k for RESIN???

So I called Yurman because the site says that SOME of their pieces are simulated. The customer service rep was full of $h!t stating that all pieces I am interested in are the real thing. I don't buy it.

I love this ring but I am struggling. Thoughts??

View attachment 3646007
Although the ring is pretty, it would bother me too to pay that price for a synthetic. I would look either on the secondary market to see if you can find a vintage Yurman piece or go with another brand.

Most turquoise used by modern jeweler is stabilized. Also, a lot comes from China. The majority of my turquoise jewelry is old pawn Native American jewelry from the 40's - 70's & is all genuine natural turquoise. I could not justify paying the prices Yurman asks for his turquoise pieces if they are resin. Resin turquoise is cheap & certainly not worth the high price. JMO

Chopard uses something similar too in their "turquoise" pieces. It enables them to give a consistent hue and texture.

There's so many other options out there for fine jewelry that interest me; I can't see myself buying it, though.

^That is not true with regard to turquoise.
Synthetic turquoise is a misnomer--it's not turquoise. There are all sorts of things called turquoise in the marketplace, only a very, very small proportion of which is natural turquoise. Most is stabilized, meaning turquoise of a certain (low) grade to which things are added. There's also reconstituted turquoise, which can be powder or chips industrially reformed with other materials into cabochons and other usable forms. But then there's also simply nonturquoise materials, i.e. plastics, created to imitate turquoise.

In Yurman's faq (see "simulated turquoise"):
http://www.davidyurman.com/assistance/faq.html

The faq is also misleading/incorrect, in that some good turquoise mines aren't depleted. They just choose not to use high-grade material that would increase the retail cost of this jewelry.

Last edited:
^That is not true with regard to turquoise.
Synthetic turquoise is a misnomer--it's not turquoise. There are all sorts of things called turquoise in the marketplace, only a very, very small proportion of which is natural turquoise. Most is stabilized, meaning turquoise of a certain (low) grade to which things are added. There's also reconstituted turquoise, which can be powder or chips industrially reformed with other materials into cabochons and other usable forms. But then there's also simply nonturquoise materials, i.e. plastics, created to imitate turquoise.

In Yurman's faq (see "simulated turquoise"):
http://www.davidyurman.com/assistance/faq.html

The faq is also misleading/incorrect, in that some good turquoise mines aren't depleted. They just choose not to use high-grade material that would increase the retail cost of this jewelry.

Please note the section of synthetics produced in the USA which includes turquoise. Turquoise simulant is also available but I was referring to lab grown turquoise which is identical chemically and structurally to natural turquoise versus simulants.

https://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/gemstones/sp14-95/synthetic.html

Please note the section of synthetics produced in the USA which includes turquoise. Turquoise simulant is also available but I was referring to lab grown turquoise which is identical chemically and structurally to natural turquoise versus simulants.

https://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/gemstones/sp14-95/synthetic.html
Again, lab grown turquoise is not a thing if you mean a crystal-like growth process that produces something chemically, mass-wise, and optically equivalent to natural turquoise. That is the claim with regard to certain gemstones, but not at all relevant to turquoise in the market. That link itself says that other processes are used to imitate turquoise:
"Other techniques involve...ceramics for turquoise, lapis lazuli, and coral; " those products are by definition simulations.

Last edited: