YSL Toy Loulou or Gucci Marmont Mini camera bag

Sara_xx

O.G.
Jul 21, 2010
Hello!!

As you can see by the title, I'm having a hard time deciding between the Toy Loulou or the Gucci mini camera bag.

I think both are beautiful bags. The reason I like the Toy is because to me it really is a classic bag. The only thing I don't really like about it, is that it has an all leather strap. I think it would be a little bit edgier if at least a part of the strap would be chain.

That said, the Gucci has a lot more hardware which is why I think it looks a little dressier and edgier. However, I'm not sure about the Marmont line. It's seen everywhere these days and I don't think it will still be a classic in a few years time whereas for me the Loulou will always be a classic.

I'm planning to use this bag for all occasions really, so I want it to be easy to transition from day to night.

As I'm not buying a luxury handbag very often, I always try to buy classic pieces since I want to be able to use it for years to come. I try to stay away from trends if I can.

Anyone have both and can tell me which one they prefer? Also, how is the quality from YSL compared to Gucci? I don't own a bag from YSL or Gucci so that could also be a very important argument to choose one over the other :smile:

Also if anyone has other suggestions for me, they are also very welcome! :biggrin:

TIA!!

I agree that the LouLou looks more classic. I'm not a huge fan of the Marmont line and the whole zig zag pattern with the chunkier hardware though so I'm a little biased.

I have a YSL Sunset bag and a Gucci Soho Disco. I think the quality of the YSL is a little better in my opinion. My Sunset is all leather (lined in sueded) and the leather feels very durable. But both are well made and will likely last me many years to come.

Reactions: nycgirl79
I agree that the LouLou looks more classic. I'm not a huge fan of the Marmont line and the whole zig zag pattern with the chunkier hardware though so I'm a little biased.

I have a YSL Sunset bag and a Gucci Soho Disco. I think the quality of the YSL is a little better in my opinion. My Sunset is all leather (lined in sueded) and the leather feels very durable. But both are well made and will likely last me many years to come.

I’m in complete agreement with Litsa re: appearance of the Marmont line. When I was looking for a camera bag last year, my first thought was the Marmont, but quite frankly, when I compared it to the YSL lou camera bag, the YSL was the clear winner for me. IMO the YSL has a cleaner, more classic and elegant look - again totally my opinion, I know there are tons of people who’d disagree! So if deciding between the toy loulou and the Marmont, I’d once again choose the YSL. I also have the YSL small loulou, which does have the leather and chain strap, and it can be worn either as a crossbody, or on the shoulder. It’s obviously going to be a bit larger than the toy or the Marmont mini, but you kind of get the best of everything with it (unfortunately at a higher price tag though)! Plus it’s actually not all that large of a bag, and can definitely go from day to night....so maybe something to consider...

As for quality, I have 4 Gucci canvas bags - so can’t speak to the quality of the all leather bags - and they have held up well over the years. My YSL lou camera bag and small loulou are newer acquisitions, so I’ll have to get back to you on that!

Last edited:
Hi!
I have both of them and def they are different i find ysl mini lou - gives more feminine look , has shiny gold chain.has grained leather. Strap is mostly chain.

Marmont camera bag small- as you can see it fits so much more than ysl mini lou. It has smooth matelasse leather. Gold logo and chain is antigue gold. Not shiny. And also strap most of it is leather , small part of chain.
I find marmont is casual&also femine. Depends on your outfit. :smile:

love them both

05E75965-D50B-4735-B931-1FF022F79B48.jpeg