YSL Sunset Bag - Black Friday deals?

mllebijoux

Oct 29, 2020
Hi there, I'm looking to buy a YSL Sunset bag (medium, plain black with silver hardware). I'm visiting the nearest store to me that stocks the bag this weekend, but I'm unsure if I should buy it then or hold off until Black Friday in case there are any sales on where I'd be able to get a discount.

I know these kind of classic bags don't tend to be massively reduced in sales, and ideally I would like to have the experience of buying the bag in person rather than ordering online (silly I know!). I will not be back in the area where the store is for many months after this weekend, but if there is a chance I might get a discount in the black Friday sales then I will wait and order it online instead.

Has anyone ever seen this bag be reduced before on Net-a-Porter or other sites? I know S-sense did a Black Friday sale last year and had lots of YSL bags reduced. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

I would check out matchesfashion. They offer a 10% new customer discount if you sign up for emails (or create an account maybe?) but they also have promos fairly regularly (usually 15% if I recall correctly). Saks and Neimans also periodically do “$X off an order above $Y” type specials.

I would also sign up for Rakuten and shopstyle for cashback. Rakuten has a partnership with shopstyle so that if you click a link to a shopping site from shopstyle,
you can get more cashback than you would directly through Rakuten. (For example, you might get 4% cashback through Rakuten but 10% if you click through shopstyle.) The % fluctuates and they have specials - I’ve regularly seen 15% cashback on sites like Saks and bloomies. Last year, using shopstyle/Rakuten combined with Black Friday deals I was able to save almost 40% on some bags. It can be annoying to wait for a decent cashback rate and/or promo but IMO you can get some good deals if you’re patient.

Heres an example from an email I screenshotted. Good luck on your hunt!

83C0967F-39EB-457F-A532-DF0E5B596007.png

Last edited:
I can't say anything about the Sunset bag specifically in silver, but Matchesfashion did a 22% discount last year November and it applied to all the YSL bags from recollection. They have the Sunset but I haven't spotted one in silver. I bought a cardholder with that discount.

If you really feel like you want the boutique experience, there's nothing to stop you. I just don't think I'd really get more benefit from the boutique experience aside from being greeted, trying on the product, being given water while I try things on. Usually things stop there for me, but then if you choose to buy it, they'd wrap it up and place it in a shopper bag. I'm not a VIP so I don't think it's really all that much special. I bought my first bag online (from YSL) but my next planned purchase (I'm saving) is Celine and I think I'll end up buying on the boutique since they don't do online shopping in Australia and I don't see them do promos.

Hi there, I'm looking to buy a YSL Sunset bag (medium, plain black with silver hardware). I'm visiting the nearest store to me that stocks the bag this weekend, but I'm unsure if I should buy it then or hold off until Black Friday in case there are any sales on where I'd be able to get a discount.

I know these kind of classic bags don't tend to be massively reduced in sales, and ideally I would like to have the experience of buying the bag in person rather than ordering online (silly I know!). I will not be back in the area where the store is for many months after this weekend, but if there is a chance I might get a discount in the black Friday sales then I will wait and order it online instead.

Has anyone ever seen this bag be reduced before on Net-a-Porter or other sites? I know S-sense did a Black Friday sale last year and had lots of YSL bags reduced. Any advice would be very much appreciated!
https://www.jomashop.com/saint-laurent-black-sunset-leather-shoulder-bag-442906-d420n-1000.html

Someone ordered from here. $1499.99. It came without the tassel but she was able to return it for another, I believe.

I would check out matchesfashion. They offer a 10% new customer discount if you sign up for emails (or create an account maybe?) but they also have promos fairly regularly (usually 15% if I recall correctly). Saks and Neimans also periodically do “$X off an order above $Y” type specials.

I would also sign up for Rakuten and shopstyle for cashback. Rakuten has a partnership with shopstyle so that if you click a link to a shopping site from shopstyle,
you can get more cashback than you would directly through Rakuten. (For example, you might get 4% cashback through Rakuten but 10% if you click through shopstyle.) The % fluctuates and they have specials - I’ve regularly seen 15% cashback on sites like Saks and bloomies. Last year, using shopstyle/Rakuten combined with Black Friday deals I was able to save almost 40% on some bags. It can be annoying to wait for a decent cashback rate and/or promo but IMO you can get some good deals if you’re patient.

Heres an example from an email I screenshotted. Good luck on your hunt!

View attachment 4892366
Thanks so much - I hadn't even thought about cashback sites like this. Great idea - many thanks!

I got scored yesterday (last one) from Century 21 storeView attachment 4892754...It's not black though but i super loved it very classic and elegant looking.
Wow, it's beautiful! Great find!

I can't say anything about the Sunset bag specifically in silver, but Matchesfashion did a 22% discount last year November and it applied to all the YSL bags from recollection. They have the Sunset but I haven't spotted one in silver. I bought a cardholder with that discount.

If you really feel like you want the boutique experience, there's nothing to stop you. I just don't think I'd really get more benefit from the boutique experience aside from being greeted, trying on the product, being given water while I try things on. Usually things stop there for me, but then if you choose to buy it, they'd wrap it up and place it in a shopper bag. I'm not a VIP so I don't think it's really all that much special. I bought my first bag online (from YSL) but my next planned purchase (I'm saving) is Celine and I think I'll end up buying on the boutique since they don't do online shopping in Australia and I don't see them do promos.

Thanks so much for the advice. You're totally right. I think it's because this bag is a gift for a special birthday that I wanted to go and have the experience of buying it in person with my Mum who is treating me, but I think I will definitely hold off on closer to Black Friday when I may be able to get a good deal. I also wanted to see the bag in person one more time before I make the purchase, but I'm sure I will love it and if there are any issues I should be able to return it easily enough. Thanks for your help!

https://www.jomashop.com/saint-laurent-black-sunset-leather-shoulder-bag-442906-d420n-1000.html

Someone ordered from here. $1499.99. It came without the tassel but she was able to return it for another, I believe.

Amazing! I have never heard of this site before. There are some great deals on there. I am in the UK but even with the conversion rate and international shipping that is still a huge saving. Have you ordered anything from there before? Is it definitely legit? Thanks!

Reactions: HavPlenty
I know you are looking for a deal, but when you mentioned that it was a special birthday present...there is something to be said about going to the store with your mom, making a big deal of the day, maybe having a special lunch, and the fun of carrying the shopping bag around...as a mom, I would prefer to have that experience with my daughter. You could always purchase it with a card with rewards points, like Amex.
Just a thought.

Reactions: landers379
Amazing! I have never heard of this site before. There are some great deals on there. I am in the UK but even with the conversion rate and international shipping that is still a huge saving. Have you ordered anything from there before? Is it definitely legit? Thanks!
I personally have not but was considering the uptown tote. Posters have ordered from them. Here is the thread.

Reactions: mllebijoux
I know you are looking for a deal, but when you mentioned that it was a special birthday present...there is something to be said about going to the store with your mom, making a big deal of the day, maybe having a special lunch, and the fun of carrying the shopping bag around...as a mom, I would prefer to have that experience with my daughter. You could always purchase it with a card with rewards points, like Amex.
Just a thought.
I love this! My mom and I did this (unexpectedly) at Louis Vuitton last Christmas and we were both so happy when we left the store! A memory I’ll never forget ☺️

Reactions: LPR200
Thanks again everyone for your help with this. I waited and waited for a good deal or a good offer on a cash back website, then the price increase happened last week, so the price went up to £1700! Luckily I was able to get the bag I wanted through Selfridges at the original price of £1580. It arrived today and I am so happy! It’s absolutely beautiful ☺️DB338FA0-F0AE-48B7-8C38-6795B842B369.jpeg

Thanks again everyone for your help with this. I waited and waited for a good deal or a good offer on a cash back website, then the price increase happened last week, so the price went up to £1700! Luckily I was able to get the bag I wanted through Selfridges at the original price of £1580. It arrived today and I am so happy! It’s absolutely beautiful ☺View attachment 4918050
Congrats!! It's a beautiful bag!

Reactions: mllebijoux