YSL Kate 99 chevron or Versace Medusa flap

• Kate 99 chevron

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Versace Medusa flap

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

lana19

Jan 22, 2018
560A3CC7-C112-4505-8BF6-2D7FE7F7DB87.jpegE02AC2DB-9106-4523-8EA9-962884E1480E.jpegPlease, help, can’t decide between new Kate 99 in chevron and new Versace Medusa flap both in black. Medusa is bigger and fresh which is a big plus but YSL has this more classic look I love. Not sure on wear and tear of any of these bags because there are no reviews. Waiting for delivery of Kate bag and having second thoughts and doubts. I like YSL envelope very much but the medium is too small and large is too big. Kate 99 in lamb is much softer but is it durable? Confused and curious about poll results, thank you.

Hm came on to vote for ysl but saw the Medusa and now I feel confused. The shape of the Versace looks more ‘casual’ (I use the term loosely lol) and ‘day’ to me, especially if it is a larger size.
The ysl is a more classic evening shape in my opinion.
But these delineations of ‘day’ vs ‘evening’ seem less relevant these days, especially since tiny bags for day are fashionable. I still find evening-sized bags are less practical if using for longer than a special event.
But if I could squeeze my life into the chevron I would love and use daily. For a short time anyway, before giving up. Lol.
In fact this bag style is on my wish list.

I find ysl bags wear very well in general, all of mine are excellent quality and I am very happy with them. I have never bought Versace so I couldn’t say.

Reactions: lana19 and ILP
Hm came on to vote for ysl but saw the Medusa and now I feel confused. The shape of the Versace looks more ‘casual’ (I use the term loosely lol) and ‘day’ to me, especially if it is a larger size.
The ysl is a more classic evening shape in my opinion.
But these delineations of ‘day’ vs ‘evening’ seem less relevant these days, especially since tiny bags for day are fashionable. I still find evening-sized bags are less practical if using for longer than a special event.
But if I could squeeze my life into the chevron I would love and use daily. For a short time anyway, before giving up. Lol.
In fact this bag style is on my wish list.

I find ysl bags wear very well in general, all of mine are excellent quality and I am very happy with them. I have never bought Versace so I couldn’t say.

Thanks :smile: Maybe I’ll have to order Medusa too so I can try them in person. I have other bigger black bags when I carry a lot stuff so I need smaller bag I could carry on lighter days and special nights too. I saw some YSL Envelope bags got peeling of the pebbled leather so I think I could tolerate schraches on lambskin more. But then I don’t know if I could tolerate if it lose too much shape. When I don’t look pictures I love YSL so much more, maybe Medusa is just something new for my eyes which allure will pass.

View attachment 5066446View attachment 5066447Please, help, can’t decide between new Kate 99 in chevron and new Versace Medusa flap both in black. Medusa is bigger and fresh which is a big plus but YSL has this more classic look I love. Not sure on wear and tear of any of these bags because there are no reviews. Waiting for delivery of Kate bag and having second thoughts and doubts. I like YSL envelope very much but the medium is too small and large is too big. Kate 99 in lamb is much softer but is it durable? Confused and curious about poll results, thank you.
I’m considering the Kate also. It’s so cute. I wish they had it with silver.

Reactions: lana19
Kate is the more classic choice. Medusa is the more fashion choice. Don’t think you can go wrong with either or both! Pls do update with action pic when you decide!

I’m considering the Kate also. It’s so cute. I wish they had it with silver.

It looks cute and gorgeous at the same time, even more in person. I didn’t like too yellow gold on Envelope, but on this bag, lambskin and gold shiny logo look so amazing. I’m sure it would be as beautiful in silver :heart:

I’m worried about schraches and dents in the future since it already came with nail traces on the inside of the flap and some dents. It can be noticed only with close inspection but anyway... I thought it was calf leather like Loulou when I ordered it.

YSL needs to come up with newer, FRESHER designs. I voted for the Versace Medusa.

BTW: Why doesn't Purseforum have a separate Versace forum? Can the moderators add a Versace forum under the Contemporary Designer category?

Last edited:
YSL needs to come up with newer, FRESHER designs. I voted for the Versace Medusa.

BTW: Why doesn't Purseforum have a separate Versace forum? Can the moderators add a Versace forum under the Contemporary Designer category?
I do agree that YSL needs to come up with more designs that rely less on the Cassandre logo, and I've noticed that they are doing that with some of their new bag designs. Hopefully they can come up with an amazing bag design that doesn't even use that logo, like they did with the Sac de Jour.

Versace does not have the same demand for its bags as some of the other brands here that have their own sub-forums. In my opinion, if a sub-forum was started for Versace, it may have very little participation and get really "dusty". Having too many sub-forums with low viewership runs the risk of people posting questions/reveals/comments with no one replying to them, which is not a good forum experience. It took a while for Loewe to have its own sub-forum here. It started with a thread on the Puzzle bag, which had enough momentum over a long period of time.

Perhaps if several forum members contribute to a Versace thread over time on this sub-forum, https://forum.purseblog.com/forums/handbags-purses.3/, it can justify opening a sub-forum for the brand. I foresee a likelihood of Versace's handbags increasing in demand and sparking more discussion, especially with the new direction of the brand under Capri Holdings, where they are churning out more commercial designs for the brand than ever before.