YSL Envelope or YSL College Bag

ike0626

May 20, 2019
Hello...i am debating between the YSL envelope bag or YSL college bag. I would love it in black or pink. But was wondering if anyone owned both of them and which one they preferred. Or how is the wear and tear? I've seen more youtube videos on the college bag. i thought i would want the loulou but when I saw it in person, unfortunately it wasn't for me. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks

So I have the YSL envelope bag in a size medium, black on black hardware (TBH, it's been a while and I don't remember the size, it looks like a small size to me but I recall my SA telling me last week that the envelope bag sizing runs small and he said I actually got the medium lol) and I'm actually planning on getting the college bag in a size small, white with gold hardware.

I've had the envelope bag since 2017. It is one of my most worn bags and it has held up beautifully! :heart: The treated leather is very durable and scratch resistant. It holds it's structure very well, I don't need to stuff it and it stands on it's own. :smile: The only con I see is that, because of the strong structure of the bag, it will not stretch much and does not like to be stretched. Once I start over-stuffing it a little, it becomes difficult to close and the magnet closure won't line up to click shut.

I've gone to look at the college bag 2x, and while I have never owned the bag I like it for a few things:
1) top handle, versatile and useful, with a shoulder strap! Best of both worlds! :tup:
2) leather flexibility, it is a softer leather, and therefore, can stretch and give a little if need be (I try to not over-stuff my bags, but sometimes I need that smidge of room lol) Also, it will rest more comfortably on the body. The envelope bag's strong structure can make it stick out a tad bit (but it's really not that bad)
3) chevron stitch, personal preference lol, just been really into that lately!

The college bag does have a relatively softer look, just to keep in mind with your aesthetic.

Hope that helps! Both great bags! Good luck! :biggrin:

Reactions: donut33
I am signed, sealed, delivered to large college. The perfect day bag! I love how it dresses everything, but can be just that little bit corporate with the top handle for my work day.
I have owned and sworn off top handle bags in the past because I hate how the handles can stick up when carrying on the shoulder.
Yet on the college the top handle is a single handle and it lies flat thanks to the chain when not in use.
The long shoulder carry is shorter which is perfect for me - I think the length is very stylish and makes the bag very manageable and comfortable to carry on the shoulder.
The bold gauge chain is gorgeous and I cannot live without an external phone pocket ever, ever again.
So I vote large college. :flowers:
I have not owned the specific envelope bag but have owned and loved plenty of shoulder bags in my time. I love the timeless look but now I have found the college I find the top handle is just so convenient and fun for another option chucking over a wrist, carrying like a briefcase etc etc.
I sound like an ad on daytime tv lol.

So I have the YSL envelope bag in a size medium, black on black hardware (TBH, it's been a while and I don't remember the size, it looks like a small size to me but I recall my SA telling me last week that the envelope bag sizing runs small and he said I actually got the medium lol) and I'm actually planning on getting the college bag in a size small, white with gold hardware.

I've had the envelope bag since 2017. It is one of my most worn bags and it has held up beautifully! :heart: The treated leather is very durable and scratch resistant. It holds it's structure very well, I don't need to stuff it and it stands on it's own. :smile: The only con I see is that, because of the strong structure of the bag, it will not stretch much and does not like to be stretched. Once I start over-stuffing it a little, it becomes difficult to close and the magnet closure won't line up to click shut.

I've gone to look at the college bag 2x, and while I have never owned the bag I like it for a few things:
1) top handle, versatile and useful, with a shoulder strap! Best of both worlds! :tup:
2) leather flexibility, it is a softer leather, and therefore, can stretch and give a little if need be (I try to not over-stuff my bags, but sometimes I need that smidge of room lol) Also, it will rest more comfortably on the body. The envelope bag's strong structure can make it stick out a tad bit (but it's really not that bad)
3) chevron stitch, personal preference lol, just been really into that lately!

The college bag does have a relatively softer look, just to keep in mind with your aesthetic.

Hope that helps! Both great bags! Good luck! :biggrin:
Hi, can you comment on the wear and tear for the tip and edges of the envelope bag? I’m looking to purchase one but seems like people have had problems with the tip of the bag peeling in the past. Did it happen to your bag? Thanks!

Reactions: lill_canele
Hi, can you comment on the wear and tear for the tip and edges of the envelope bag? I’m looking to purchase one but seems like people have had problems with the tip of the bag peeling in the past. Did it happen to your bag? Thanks!

Certainly!:smile: I don’t believe I have issues with the tip or edges of the bag peeling. :huh:Perhaps the tip of the flap is bent just ever so slightly due to use. Then again, this is my errand bag and I definitely do not baby it. I’ve even put it on the floor before lol.:lol:

There is a bit of corner wear and the hardware is a little bit worn just a tiny bit on the logo, but for 5 years of use, I consider that pretty good!

Here are some photos:
3F478413-BD84-4F56-B8EB-0731EF415BBD.jpeg219F92AC-713C-49D4-89BB-F4EB48290CDB.jpegBC815403-049D-4747-AB77-54106A818598.jpeg00FD1EC0-97EB-4B16-98AA-A9228D3142B9.jpeg3352252E-A650-4636-B3B0-A28E14FE7A85.jpegF8401C9F-8200-4B55-AE8B-B07B8E185CCC.jpegB8110CEE-49D1-4DF3-A7EB-D8D373F015CE.jpeg843EB706-CFB4-4CA9-91C4-88FD6A9DA051.jpeg

Also when I store the bag, I just sit it on the shelf. I don’t even stuff it because it keeps its structure so well!:tup:

Hope this helps!

Certainly!:smile: I don’t believe I have issues with the tip or edges of the bag peeling. :huh:Perhaps the tip of the flap is bent just ever so slightly due to use. Then again, this is my errand bag and I definitely do not baby it. I’ve even put it on the floor before lol.:lol:

There is a bit of corner wear and the hardware is a little bit worn just a tiny bit on the logo, but for 5 years of use, I consider that pretty good!

Here are some photos:
View attachment 5145466View attachment 5145467View attachment 5145468View attachment 5145469View attachment 5145470View attachment 5145471View attachment 5145472View attachment 5145473

Also when I store the bag, I just sit it on the shelf. I don’t even stuff it because it keeps its structure so well!:tup:

Hope this helps!
Oh wow! Your bag looks amazing for 5 years! I would not have guessed you had it for that long based on the pictures it looks like it held up so well. Also I love the black on black it’s gorgeous! Thank you so much that was very informative :biggrin: I guess I don’t have an excuse anymore to not purchase this bag hahahah

Reactions: lill_canele
Oh wow! Your bag looks amazing for 5 years! I would not have guessed you had it for that long based on the pictures it looks like it held up so well. Also I love the black on black it’s gorgeous! Thank you so much that was very informative :biggrin: I guess I don’t have an excuse anymore to not purchase this bag hahahah

Thank you!
Haha, that’s the same thing an SA in a Moynat store told earlier this year! He thought I recently bought it lol
No problem! Happy shopping!

Reactions: donut33
Love my black YSL envelope! I’d recommend going with that (personal bias). The leather holds up so well, no need to baby it, and amazing bag to easily transition from day time casual to fancier evening look. Hardware is super shiny (I have it in silver) and holds up very well also.
That’s great to know! Glad to know you’re loving the bag so much still!

Reactions: hereforthebagz
I am signed, sealed, delivered to large college. The perfect day bag! I love how it dresses everything, but can be just that little bit corporate with the top handle for my work day.
I have owned and sworn off top handle bags in the past because I hate how the handles can stick up when carrying on the shoulder.
Yet on the college the top handle is a single handle and it lies flat thanks to the chain when not in use.
The long shoulder carry is shorter which is perfect for me - I think the length is very stylish and makes the bag very manageable and comfortable to carry on the shoulder.
The bold gauge chain is gorgeous and I cannot live without an external phone pocket ever, ever again.
So I vote large college. :flowers:
I have not owned the specific envelope bag but have owned and loved plenty of shoulder bags in my time. I love the timeless look but now I have found the college I find the top handle is just so convenient and fun for another option chucking over a wrist, carrying like a briefcase etc etc.
I sound like an ad on daytime tv lol.
how is the college holding up? in terms of the shape, edge and corners?? TIA!!