YSL.com defects common?

pupilCandy

Feb 2, 2008
Ordered a tri fold wallet earlier this month and today it came in. Upon opening the box, I noticed lint on the dust bag. Ok, whatever, as long as the leather is worth its' $650 price, all is good. And then, I saw it. Right-smack-dab-in-the-middle of the artifact!
"It can't be", I thought, "it's just a distorted blurry looking spot that will disappear with the swipe of my finger". Except, it didn't. It looked even more horrific with flash. The flash revealed that it was a scratch. Did someone in Italy exclusively hand pick this treasure just for me? It even came with slight marks on the hardware: A bonus?
This being my first YSL retail purchase, I expected it to be flawless, or pretty close to it. Instead, it was a disappointment. I don't think I will order this brand without looking at what I'm buying in person. (Unfortunately not a reality for someone living in NW.) So, my question is: Are flaws pretty common with YSL?

pc1.png

pc2.png

• Sad
Reactions: teathyme

teathyme

Feb 23, 2019
I have not ordered anything off of their website but I did buy a chain lou bag at Heathrow last winter. It looked fine at the time and it was my first YSL purchase so I was very excited to use it during the spring/summer time. I like the grain leather and the hardware but after a couple uses (less than 5) I noticed that the piping was peeling. I was horrified and brought it in for repairs right away. It has been about a month and I am still trying to figure things out. I have not had the easiest time and will definitely hesitate before buying another YSL again.

I hope that you will be able to get a replacement for your defect as the repair process seems painfully slow right now.

• Sad
Reactions: pupilCandy

pupilCandy

Feb 2, 2008
I can relate. I also saw a few people posting how their hardware had worn its' coating.

I sent my shipment back to NJ. I was also surprised by the low quality of leather.
I watched a documentary on leather a while ago, and I think it gives a great insight into the leather trade within the EU.