Your Worst/Most Embarrassing Moment at School?

This whole episode says so much more about him than it ever could about you, and I'm sure that's how the rest of the class saw it. I would seriously consider a complaint - perhaps you could just tell a counsellor/tutor how much you were upset by this?

Sparkle - That was completely unprofessional of him. Humiliating a student in front of her peers is just uncalled for. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. He was being a jerk.

Bagnshoo - That was too funny! I would have been mortified.

Hahah bagnshoo your story defn had me rolling :lol: and Mariah I'm the same exact way with remembering every little thing that has happened to me!!

Blah I have one more year of college left and this is the very first time I have had an instructor ever do that to anyone in a class. And it was all over a stupid problem for extra credit!! I was talking to one of sorority sisters today who had him and it turns out that he's just a Teaching Assistant...not even a REAL professor!!! :evil:

I guess they haven't reached the part of the curriculum where they teach the TAs that students have feelings like normal human beings :mad:

WTH! Who is this professor? I will slap the mess out of him! Who does he think he is?

[edit] And oh, I've only been embarassed by my professors twice this year, but one of them was my own fault, heh. I was reading a book during a lecture when he called on me so obviously I looked like a bumbling moron. The second time, she was just rude.

One thing I remember from college-you guys are a captive audience and they know it. This guy sounds like a royal pain in the a__ who needs to feed his own ego by humiliating others.
We had a professor at University of Cincinnati, that refused to be questioned by anyone and one night he knocked down the podium and swore at us. I remember thinking, I am an adult in grad school paying money to listen to this.
It eventually got so bad several of us went to the Dean of the College. Apparently he figured that was coming, because he had already been to the Dean saying we were a class that wasn't properly prepared in regard to our math backround. Two of the guys in our group were engineers that graduated from U of Cincinnati. Nothing was ever done with this bozo. Ultimately I think what matters to the college is how much research grant money is coming in and not teaching ability. So many times you see profs that can't teach, but they are valued by the university because of the almighty dollar.
My husband graduated more recently from U of Texas in Chemistry. I remember him describing a prof almost bringing one of the top female students to tears with insults. He apparently was so old fashioned he thought girls should not be in high level chemistry classes. This girl eventually graduated suma cum laude.
I would just blow his inappropriate behavior off and play his little game to get your credit and then move on with your life. He will eventually become a bad memory.

My worst moment at school was when I was 15 during my Maths class. Our teacher was very strange, for example she would walk barefoot in class and wear sunglasses indoors. She was really scary as well and would scream so loud her whole face turned bright red in rage! Anyway she hated when her students forgot their exercise book and sometimes the unlucky ones would be forced to actually bang their head on the wall and mutter "I'm so stupid". Fortunately the ones who did this were usually all boys and would take it as a joke and laugh while doing it....Unfortunately being the only girl to have been forced to do this I didn't find it very funny. Not only was I already unlucky to have forgotten my book on that day, but the teacher was also in her worst mood! She kept saying: Well?! When I hesitated and didn't try to move after she said "Your know what to do!"
I was already quite shy back then but this made it worse! I remember being in tears afterwards and wanting to change classes. Remembering it now makes me sooo angry :mad: ! I keep thinking why did I do it?!

percephonie said:
My worst moment at school was when I was 15 during my Maths class. Our teacher was very strange, for example she would walk barefoot in class and wear sunglasses indoors. She was really scary as well and would scream so loud her whole face turned bright red in rage! Anyway she hated when her students forgot their exercise book and sometimes the unlucky ones would be forced to actually bang their head on the wall and mutter "I'm so stupid". Fortunately the ones who did this were usually all boys and would take it as a joke and laugh while doing it....Unfortunately being the only girl to have been forced to do this I didn't find it very funny. Not only was I already unlucky to have forgotten my book on that day, but the teacher was also in her worst mood! She kept saying: Well?! When I hesitated and didn't try to move after she said "Your know what to do!"
I was already quite shy back then but this made it worse! I remember being in tears afterwards and wanting to change classes. Remembering it now makes me sooo angry :mad: ! I keep thinking why did I do it?!
That lady was really psycho and abusive, you were still a kid, don't blame yourself. She should have been fired. Now a days, she could be fired.

^^ Oh wow that lady is absolutely nuts!! She sounds like the evil headmaster from Matilda doing that to little kids! I really don't understand why some of these people even go into the teaching profession if they don't like being around kids :Push:

And Percephonie, I totally understand about thinking back on it and wondering "Why did I put up with that?".. I kind of wish I had something smart alecky and snarky back to the TA.. but gah I'm too much of a goody goody :shame:

You're welcome to slap the crap out of him though abandoned ;)

LOL thanx sparkles48! I bet that would feel great!!
And don't worry, I doubt your classmates will think you're stupid. If I was one of your classmates I would so think that the professor was the stupid one! I really wonder sometimes if they know how damaging some words are to students.

I'm outraged by his conduct. That is completely unacceptable. I've been dressed down by a teacher myself but I certainly wasn't gonna allow him to get the best of me. As soon as he started to belittle me I cut him off and told him to let me finish (he asked me to analyze a problem and he didn't like the way I analyzed). Some people seem to get a kick out of making other people feel small. In some situations, you're in such shock that you don't know what to say or do. I somehow feel like that's what happened to you. If it bothered you enough, I suggest you complain to the department head. It may seem drastic but considering that his conduct was out of line, filing a complaint would be fitting. Good luck. Don't let jerks rob you of your happiness. They're not worth it.

I'm so sorry this happened. What a jerk. My professors had always said that there are no stupid questions and no stupid answers. Did you speak to him after class? What he did was way out of line and he should know that.

EDIT: OOOppppsss, almost forgot... My most embarassing moment at school... passing gas during a microbiology exam. :shame: Yes, everyone heard!!! :shame:

to sparkles: Sorry to hear what happened! TA or professor or anyone for that matter has no right to demean someone like that! how rude :mad::mad:

to pursegal: :lol::lol::lol:

as for my most embarrassing moment... it was back in high school and I was one of those girls who had to dress up everyday in heels + jeans :shame::shame: and one day I was walking to my first morning class, stepped on an acorn and pretty much fell on my face :sad2: I HOPED that no one saw me (because it was still pretty early) but lo and behold, 3 years later a friend of a friend comes up to me and tells me that she has the funniest memory of me... FALLING ON MY FACE while walking to class! :sad::sad:

i was in 1st grade and i threw up in front of the entire class. i went up to tell the teacher i wasn't feeling well and threw up before i even said a word. it was pretty nasty, she made me stand there until the janitor came up with a mop. and everyone in the class had to move back. lol.

pursegalsf said:
I'm so sorry this happened. What a jerk. My professors had always said that there are no stupid questions and no stupid answers. Did you speak to him after class? What he did was way out of line and he should know that.

EDIT: OOOppppsss, almost forgot... My most embarassing moment at school... passing gas during a microbiology exam. :shame: Yes, everyone heard!!! :shame:

I did the same thing during a chemistry quiz!! :shame: I dk if anyone heard or not, because no one said anything then, or ever...maybe they were just being nice. :shame: :shame: :shame: