Your thoughts on VCA value

oranGetRee

**I am a Vain Pot**
O.G.
Jan 19, 2006
I was sharing with my girl friend today on my love for my new 5 motif gmop diamond bracelet and my interest to get more VCAs.

She was of the view that VCA is not worth the money and I should invest and build profile with Hermes instead.

I know that VCA fine jewellery holds value very well but what do you ladies think about the usual jewellery collection?

I understand that VCAs are jewellery and Hermes are more bags; they belong to different categories of goods. However some (or many?) of us have limited funds and can only get one item at a time. We would naturally want to buy something that is both beautiful and of value. It would be disappointing to spend so much and to have its value depreciated by e.g 30% after a couple of wears.

I just want to know your thoughts on this. Hope I make sense. Thanks all

I haven’t tried to sell VCA but the prices on Fashionphile is only like 10-20% less compared to retail price. As far as Hermes, unless you are reselling a Birkin, Kelly, or Constance, or a well sought after bag, you lose a lot when you sell through Fashionphile. I view VCA pieces as lifelong pieces and I’d like to think that I would love them forever and not ever want to sell them. I also don’t like the H game to try to get the bag you want..but that’s just my opinion :smile:

Another way to look at it is do you like bags or jewelry more? It used to be bags for me but now I am leaning towards jewelry hehe

I was sharing with my girl friend today on my love for my new 5 motif gmop diamond bracelet and my interest to get more VCAs.

She was of the view that VCA is not worth the money and I should invest and build profile with Hermes instead.

I know that VCA fine jewellery holds value very well but what do you ladies think about the usual jewellery collection?

I understand that VCAs are jewellery and Hermes are more bags; they belong to different categories of goods. However some (or many?) of us have limited funds and can only get one item at a time. We would naturally want to buy something that is both beautiful and of value. It would be disappointing to spend so much and to have its value depreciated by e.g 30% after a couple of wears.

I just want to know your thoughts on this. Hope I make sense. Thanks all

Neither are really great investments (except in your joy of using them), but regarding wear, your jewelry will look far newer for longer than any bag you use or even just store (which is no fun anyway).

I love both H and VCA but neither of them are investments. For Hermes, Birkin and Kelly in certain sizes/colors can get your money plus some back if you sell new or in amazing condition. But it is not easy to get you want. VCA doesn’t get your money back with the exception of TQ and some LE lines.
Buy what you love and maybe you don’t have to resell at all :heart::heart:

I think living in an uncertain COVID world, the old way of thinking no longer applies.

It begs the question who placed value on these things anyway? Is it really worth what we pay for it in the greater scheme of things? A few years down the road, with no clear solution to the COVID problem, will luxury still continue to hold the value that is has now?

So, I agree with the previous posters - buy something because you love it, not for what you can resell for. This reminds me of signing a pre-nup agreement - you haven't got married as yet but already putting things in place for a divorce.

Like others have said, the "value" I place on VCA is my enjoyment out of owning, wearing and ogling my pieces. I wouldn't sell them unless I don't love them enough to wear them often enough to justify the cost. I have sold some pieces for that reason.

I hate hate hate the game that H plays. I think it's despicable! Having said that, I do think their quality is fantastic and I do have some H which I've bought secondhand (can't even get on the damn waiting list at the local boutiques, which was closed years ago!). I've sold most of my H and have kept just a very few, for daily use.

I have bought and have kept the majority of my VCA pieces. Touch wood, pray to God, that I would never have to liquidate my VCA/ my bling bling collection. For sure, as soon as any piece is taken out of the boutique, it depreciates like 30%, not unlike a new car.

Thanks ladies!

My friend was referring to the Bs and Ks. So far she has been buying those and lindys. Probably that’s why she has the thought that Hermes hold value better.

I prefer jewellery to bags. Like what Comfortably Numb said, jewellery looks great even after many uses. And I love the blings blings. :smile:

I agree that both are not investments. The value depreciates the moment we wear the item. It is also impossible and doesn’t make sense to keep things like new. Besides, I don’t like the effort made to baby things.

I know for sure that I will enjoy my VCA for a long time. I appreciate the design and craftsmanship of these beautiful pieces. Their great after sales service is a big plus too.

Thanks ladies!

My friend was referring to the Bs and Ks. So far she has been buying those and lindys. Probably that’s why she has the thought that Hermes hold value better.

I prefer jewellery to bags. Like what Comfortably Numb said, jewellery looks great even after many uses. And I love the blings blings. :smile:

I agree that both are not investments. The value depreciates the moment we wear the item. It is also impossible and doesn’t make sense to keep things like new. Besides, I don’t like the effort made to baby things.

I know for sure that I will enjoy my VCA for a long time. I appreciate the design and craftsmanship of these beautiful pieces. Their great after sales service is a big plus too.

This is interesting. Are you based in the US? Where I am, I agree that brand new mint B's and K's - in the smaller sizes - command a premium on the secondary market, particularly if they come complete with original receipts and packaging. Lindys are traded at a discount to retail, however, except for the trendy baby/mini Lindy.

(Yes, I am aware even receipts can be forged too.)

This is interesting. Are you based in the US? Where I am, I agree that brand new mint B's and K's - in the smaller sizes - command a premium on the secondary market, particularly if they come complete with original receipts and packaging. Lindys are traded at a discount to retail, however, except for the trendy baby/mini Lindy.

(Yes, I am aware even receipts can be forged too.)

Exactly as what you shared, except that I’m from Singapore. Hermes represents status here, alot of people buy Bs and Ks for this reason. Mini lindys are very popular too, probably because it looks cute (?)

Birkin and Kelly May hold there value in todays market, this will depend on size, colour and usage (once no longer new value will depreciate), but once you add in all the ‘b/k tax’ or ‘prespend’ or reseller premium/commission they are actually worth a lot less than you put into buying the bag and don’t hold value if you look at it that way.
Either way buy what you love and will use and you will get value at your purchases regardless of brand.

I love VCA 100 times more than bags of any brand. I don't want to have to be paranoid about putting my bag down and getting a scratch on it, or worse, being a target of theft. I need a bag to look nice and serve a utilitarian purpose (I buy from the contemporary designer list). I buy what I like and do not fall into the status symbol trap. Almost no one around me would have a clue that I am wearing VCA jewelry or have any idea of the cost. I buy a few VCA pieces because I think it is beautiful and I enjoy wearing it.

Don't listen to your friend...buy what you love!

I sold all of my Hermes bags except for one. It became too much to worry about them. Spots, scratches, theft, conditioning them, storing them... etc. -- exhausting! I switched to Mark Cross and have been really pleased. In my opinion, VCA will hold its value because it already does. When I sold my Hermes bags, even the ones in perfect condition, I took a loss, but it looks like the buy on VCA is higher value. Still, that doesn't matter. Buy things because you love them, and wear them, and they become a part of you. Also, if the girlfriend doesn't think VCA is worth the money, that is her value. If you think it is, that is your value. It is ok to have friends that have different values than you do and still have fun talking about bags and jewelry!

Like some others, I find VCA to be much more worthwhile than Hermes bags. But that is my personal opinion and preference. I think VCA is timeless and something that I will wear for the rest of my life and then pass on to my children. I have 0 desire to ever own a Birkin or Kelly, primarily because I do not want to spend thousands of dollars and then worry about damaging it. That takes all the fun out of it for me. It is for a similar reason that I invest in very few high end rings and bracelets.

With that being said, I wouldn’t consider VCA to be a great investment (in the traditional sense of the word) outside of limited edition pieces. You most likely will lose money in selling unless you hold for years (and many price increases). However, limited edition pieces hold value very well. I sold one of my holiday pendants and pretty much broke even, which I think is the best that you can hope for after just a couple years of ownership.

But, at the end of the day, you should get what you love, enjoy and use!

I was into handbags for a bit when I was younger. But if you look at the quality of new bags sold in the boutiques today, disappointing is understating it. I loved vintage Hermes, but also realized that handbags do go out of style. Not every beautiful kelly in perfect condition from 30 years ago, can look harmonious with a fresh new outfit, IMHO. I now prefer bags from small Italian workshops that’s not so commercialized, yet.

However with jewelry, the older the better. I love old European cut diamonds and silver topped gold jewelry that illuminate romantic glow instead of computer generated cut design with out of the world sparkles. A lot of them carry the characteristics of their age without being intrusive on the outfit.

I once saw a pair of magic Alhambra pave earrings in YG that was about a decade and half old, the perlee details are completely flattened, but the diamonds sparkle like new. It had been heavily used but aged gracefully, and the modern ones seem to be imitating that vintage quality.

I was into handbags for a bit when I was younger. But if you look at the quality of new bags sold in the boutiques today, disappointing is understating it. I loved vintage Hermes, but also realized that handbags do go out of style. Not every beautiful kelly in perfect condition from 30 years ago, can look harmonious with a fresh new outfit, IMHO. I now prefer bags from small Italian workshops that’s not so commercialized, yet.

However with jewelry, the older the better. I love old European cut diamonds and silver topped gold jewelry that illuminate romantic glow instead of computer generated cut design with out of the world sparkles. A lot of them carry the characteristics of their age without being intrusive on the outfit.

I once saw a pair of magic Alhambra pave earrings in YG that was about a decade and half old, the perlee details are completely flattened, but the diamonds sparkle like new. It had been heavily used but aged gracefully, and the modern ones seem to be imitating that vintage quality.

I agree 100% with everything you say here. Everything! I love my vintage Black Box Kelly - I know it has "history" and it makes me love it even more. My special pieces of VCA like my 20 motif Turquoise, 5 motif turquoise bracelet and my 20 motif lapis/pave will always be pieces I will treasure and will be passed down to my daughters and daughters- in- law someday.