Your thoughts on Python and Pony....

wickedassin said:
Pony hair is actually cowhide--the "furry" part of the cow. They just call it "pony hair" because it sounds better in terms of marketing... I guess it sounds more exotic or something.

I'm not a big fan of snakes, so I don't like anything that even has snake print.... Python is actually illegal in CA, so I've never seen one....

oh is it so? "Pony Hair" Does sound more exotic than "furry cowhide":biggrin: Thanks for the clarification.

I actually think Pony & Python is tacky, it reminds me of my grandmother whose sweaters look like they were dumped in a pail of glitter and gems. She would definately dig any bag with pony hair and python!

I try not to take issue with python, but something about it makes me cringe. I can't put my finger on it - I'm not afraid of snakes per se, but I can't quite stomach using them as material.:weird:

As a horse-lover, I had to make sure that pony hair was just a name. It was to my great relief that its actually cow hide with the hair still attached - it meant I could drool over these without feeling sick.:biggrin:

1greenhair.jpg

1purpbal.jpg

They call the 'hair calf' (another name for it) 'pony skin' becuase it used to be pony skin. A hundred years or so ago, before people became sensitized to such things, real pony skin was used. Now its just the name for the material.

I used to have a pony skin bag that I loved. I sold it when I stopped using it often enough to warrant the expense. It does 'wear' but only where it gets rubbed, just the way leather or fabric wears.

I currently have a python bag that I really love. I'm attaching a photo. I just find that its a busy enough pattern that I have to be careful with the rest of my wardrobe so I don't look like an eye test pattern!

Attachments

• cten01.jpg
    cten01.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 48
umm, i think the Pony first in black looks ok... but for everyday use etc... i dont think i would consider buying a python or a pony... i'd just rather still to 'normal' leather etc... :biggrin:

Dont care for the pony hair at all just looks like a big hairy bag...yulk! Python is okay as long as it is colored and does not look like a snakes skin! I'm terrified of snakes so i would never want to carry anything that looked like one, it realy isn't that durable either.

joyfishyu said:
Swedie, you are so cute:lol: I don't think they have to kill the ponies to get their hair, probably a shave at most;)

Anyone has the pics for pony hair bags? I personally have no problem with Python bags, except for their prices:sad:
I dont own a pony hair bag but I have pony hair shoes. I love them! They feel so nice.:amuse: