Your thoughts on Python and Pony....

SoyBean001

Dec 8, 2005
With the variety of new bag materials on the market, I was wondering what your thoughts on python and pony hair bags were....

I don't know, i think the python just scares me a bit, the pony hair, while it does look nice on some of the balenciagas (like the camel colored? first bags), I'm still not sure...

i'm iffy on python - i prefer it in the more neutral colours like dark chocolate as opposed to the natural skin ( just a bit too "jungle-y" for me.) I just love pony though - particulalry in unusual colours.

Swedie said:
Do they kill the ponies to get the pony hair? If so I have a problem with it.. I like ponies...

I guess they would have to kill them, that's so sad :sad:

Swedie, you are so cute:lol: I don't think they have to kill the ponies to get their hair, probably a shave at most;)

Anyone has the pics for pony hair bags? I personally have no problem with Python bags, except for their prices:sad:

I think its the natural python which is wayyyy too much for me....like this "anaconda" bag by Ferragamo. I don't prefer the upclose and personal encounter with either anaconda:P

janicet said:
i'm iffy on python - i prefer it in the more neutral colours like dark chocolate as opposed to the natural skin ( just a bit too "jungle-y" for me.) I just love pony though - particulalry in unusual colours.

Attachments

• anaconda.jpeg
    anaconda.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 63
SoyBean001 said:
I think its the natural python which is wayyyy too much for me....like this "anaconda" bag by Ferragamo. I don't prefer the upclose and personal encounter with either anaconda:P

Same here..
I saw them too at the SF boutiques..it gives me the weird feeling when I touch it so I would rather pick the JC "Ramona" plus something other bag if I have to choose between a snake skin bag and regular leather he he..:P .

joyfishyu said:
Swedie, you are so cute:lol: I don't think they have to kill the ponies to get their hair, probably a shave at most;)

:lol: oh! Well then I'd say pony hair is a go!

Here's a pic of black pony hair:
Classic-Pony-Hair-Motorcycl-762209.jpg

I have a bonified phobia of snakes; so, I can't touch the skin - Period.

Pony hair - I don' consider it a durable material for a handbag so I would not own one for that reason, I too thought it was cow hide. ?

Pony hair is actually cowhide--the "furry" part of the cow. They just call it "pony hair" because it sounds better in terms of marketing... I guess it sounds more exotic or something.

I'm not a big fan of snakes, so I don't like anything that even has snake print.... Python is actually illegal in CA, so I've never seen one....

I don't get why calling something "pony" hair makes it more marketable than "calf" hair. I don't think most people are very keen on the idea of butchering horses for accessories in this country.

That has always mystified me.

jane said:
I don't get why calling something "pony" hair makes it more marketable than "calf" hair. I don't think most people are very keen on the idea of butchering horses for accessories in this country.

That has always mystified me.

That's what I was thinking! no pony's are going to die for my purse, call it calf please :P