Your thoughts on people with fakes?

I don't consider an inspired handbag to be a fake. A couple of years ago the GAP had great MJ- inspired bags, which I loved. I also think the inspired bags are a great way to own a design you love without breaking any laws.

I know women who are extremely well off and have several high end bags. I know that a few of these women also have bought super fakes and no one doubts their authenticity because they can well afford the real thing. My mother sold LVS, Gucci among other high end bags for 20 plus years and says with some of the super fakes out there there she cannot tell the difference. The fakes don`t particularly annoy me what does is when I carry a really high end bag places such as a mall and people are bumping into it and have no respect! Sephora customers are always doing this. Women should know better!

Why waste time worrying about why others do what they do. In my opinion, it's rarely a good thing to pass judgment on other people.

One thing I am a little tired of? People who act like fake purses are the reason there is child slavery. I bet we all have used a product that child slaves have produced. Child slaves are even being used to make the chocolate candy we eat!

(warning: if you don't like sad images, don't click the link)

http://www.american.edu/ted/chocolate-slave.htm

I bet most people don't that children are being beaten to make our Mars bars so I doubt many people know that child slaves are used to make their fake handbags.

And the terrorism thing. The official reports (I'm talking government released reports, not the media's interpretation of these reports) stated that seized terrorist documents said that it was possible to raise money through selling counterfeit merchandise, not that those terrorist groups ever did. Just because Sally is rocking a Goach bag does not mean she is helping us lose the war in Iraq.

Stepping off my soapbox.

All I know is that I just can't judge people. My purses are real but my purses are expensive. If I didn't have the education / money I have would they still be real? I don't know. Even a few of the most trusted girls on the forums have been tricked into buying fakes. Live and let live.

:yes: :yes: :yes: I'd give you Karma if I could!

I always think that the fakes look ugly because they lack the same quality as the original. Only the original can really be pulled off. Somehow fakes just don't seem to look good! And then I think that the person lacks taste or was unsure of what they were doing. I don't have any hostility toward them, though.

Aww, thank you. You seriously just made my day. I kept an eye on this thread wondering if anyone would even read what I wrote or if, for some reason, I'd get flamed for it.

Thank you again. :smile:
You're welcome :yes: Just thought it was a very sensible thing to say. I think some people get a bit too distressed about the whole moral issue with fake bags. I am glad someone like you is actually smart and cares enough to challenge their assumptions and do a little research. Almost everything you consume is unethical in some major way - be it bananas you eat, the fossil fuels you burn, even an expensive cashmere sweater you wear. It takes a google search and about twenty minutes to learn about legal cashmere farming but it's enough to make you want to stop buying it. You can console yourself with the idea of purchasing organic or fair-trade but, again, a little research and industry of ogranic food doesn't look that straigh-forward anymore. Fair trade is a sham and actually does more damage to the developing producer in the long run. Economist wrote about it in December 2006. Sorry for getting off-topic :Push: I just like to point out that some people are being (unknowngly) hypocritical when they say that people who carry fakes are unaware about supporting terrorism. The truth is, you're most likely unaware about supporting a lot of shameful activities with your purchases.
As for me personally, I mentioned in another thread, I own a couple of fake bags, which I don't carry because I absolutely dread a situaton of somebody pointing out that I do. :wtf: I think i'd be so embarassed. I have a friend who has a fake Birkin and claims it to be real. She even invented a story of how she acquired it. One of my good friends has an authentic one and we always joke about the other girl's fake.

if i can't afford then it isnt for me...other people can do with their money as they please...however i dont understand how some people pay hundreds of dollars for knockoffs...thats a lil silly ya think?

There are actually people who don't know they are buying a fake, even when the fake is terrible, just because some people don't even know about the designers in the first place. No kidding, i sometimes see an (old) lady in the subway, in old, stained sweatpants and old t-shirt with a Vuitton murakami retro so bad it's funny, but i really don't think this lady thought "oh my god, i'm gonna look so cool with this replica." I think she liked the design when she saw it on the stall at the market and bought it, and that's it. She probably doesn't even know it's copied and probably doesn't even know about Louis Vuitton nor Murakami!!!

LOL well you know I did, didn't you see that 900 page treatise I posted? ;)

And since the karma dispensers seem to be out of order, I'll give you a hug instead!

:drinks: I hope I don't spill beer on you when we hug! I love your posts! They always make me hope I'm expressing myself as eloquently as you!

This is why I love TPF - I can learn about intellectual property rights whilst drool hangs off the corner of my mouth from staring at the latest Chanel bag.

:heart:

I don't consider an inspired handbag to be a fake. A couple of years ago the GAP had great MJ- inspired bags, which I loved. I also think the inspired bags are a great way to own a design you love without breaking any laws.

I agree. And some of the MJ bags seem inspired by Chanel. Quilted bBags remind me of Chanel also. I don't think there's anything necessily wrong with this or different than a GAP bag inspired by a designer bag.

I respect people with "inspired" bags a little more than those with fakes, because at least they are not pretending to have something that they don't.

To me, a bag is like a work of art. If you only love it enough to get a fake one, then that means you don't truly love it for everything that went into the designing and making of this bag, you only love the idea and image of having one.

I personally would never own a fake but it's not for me to judge anybody if they do. I don't think that someone with a fake bag is a bad person because there are far more horrible things out there than fake bags.
Live and let live that's my motto as long as you don't hurt anyboday else.