Your thoughts on people with fakes?

I was once burned by an eBay sale. I thought I was buying a Tod's, and it looked like it was in step with a line that was out by Tod's at the time. It looked great when I got it but then it started falling apart not too long afterwards, and it became apparent that it was fake.

I was truly embarrassed because I even brought it to Tod's to ask how I should fix it. They looked at it askance and seemed confused, so I knew I'd been had. They didn't scowl at me or anything...so I try and keep in mind that there are people who are trying to buy genuine and give designers their due without breaking the bank but just don't know enough to insure that happens.

Unfortunately, fake bags are here to stay, and you will probably be seeing a lot more of them, too. I don't like it, but I don't see myself walking up to a woman and pointing out the fact that I don't like her choice of bag. I just ignore it. What else can you do? I think I would be mortified if someone did that to me, especially if I knew nothing about designer bags, and I just bought the bag because I liked the style. But I hate fakes.

Unfortunately, fake bags are here to stay, and you will probably be seeing a lot more of them, too. I don't like it, but I don't see myself walking up to a woman and pointing out the fact that I don't like her choice of bag. I just ignore it. What else can you do? I think I would be mortified if someone did that to me, especially if I knew nothing about designer bags, and I just bought the bag because I liked the style. But I hate fakes.
Absolutely I would say there are many many more people who wouldn't dream of spending a lot of money on a bag than there are those who do.
Handbags are not that important to a lot of people & I suppose most don't even consider the illegal side of it. They just buy a cheap bag that looks good & maybe hope to convince people that they have a real one. Often this works as again there are not that many connoisseurs.
It is the authorities that should crack down on the manufactures & retailers of this garbage, they are really not doing enough. Why can the police or Revenue Commissioners walk into Portobello Road market for example & just seize these goods? The vendors are committing a crime after all!

As much as I love a real bag, I can't really knock anyone for having a fake one. I personally wouldn't wear it, but I know a lot of people who have them. That's their perogative and I'm not going to get on my pedastal and try to preach to them. Most people on the forum will tell you that a fake bag doesn't have the quality a real bag does. In general terms no it doesn't. However, believe it or not folks, a fake bag isn't going to fall apart on instant. I know people who have had their fake bags for years.

^^^ITA

I think what bugs me most is people who CAN afford Authentic and buy fakes :yucky: (like the owner of a jewelry store I used to buy from - dripping in real diamonds and carrying a fake bag! jeez.)

The teenagers with the fake LV's and Cambons don't bother me as much becuase I simply know they cannot afford the real thing and want the "IN" thing ... I buy my 19 year old DD Authentic bags and try to buy her close friends an authentic item for special occasions so hopefully they will see the difference and never want to waste their money on a fake again :yes:

I would never buy a fake bacause I am embarressed to carry it. I see so many fake Chloe Paddingtons with the padlock saying Chloe and the nasty imitation leather.

However I do own an 'inspired' bag which is a real leather tan coloured bag which is from Morocco, that is in the style of a mini 'sienna' Kooba (see the pic below)

I think this isnt classed as 'fake' because it isnt a straight copy. see the difference between a kooba and this one. I prefer this to a kooba because its smaller, has thicker straps and fits snug under the arm bit Plus my bag doesnt have a kooba plate on it so its not a true wannabe.

However my IF bags are the real deal and I have seem exact copy fakes in plastic and I felt embarressed for the sellers!:P

Attachments

• kooba-sienna.jpg
    kooba-sienna.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Moroccan bag.jpg
    Moroccan bag.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 25
I don't judge others for carrying a fake for two reasons. First, it is none of my business. Second, it is possible the person doesn't know they are carrying a fake. My inner voice tells me the person is carrying a POS but I would not outwardly be judgmental or rude to the person since it isn't in my nature to be that way.

On Friday I saw a very fake Coach bag (not even a Coach style) sitting on the credenza of a co-worker. She knows I'm an authentic purse fanatic and kindly asked me if her Coach was real. The red flags were endless as I pointed out why it was a fake. She got it as a "gift" from her sister-in-law who has several Coach bags that her boyfriend gives her. I believe the sis-in-law is under the impression the bags she's received are not counterfeit. This co-worker doesn't even like the bag. She was having lunch with the sis-in-law and was tired of her hounding her about carrying the "new Coach". My co-worker plans to tell her the bag is fake and although she appreciates the thoughtful gift she refuses to carry a fake. The co-worker will go back to her Target bags.

Back to the fakes.... I never buy LV (even though I love it) because there are sooooooo many fakes out there that I would feel like people would think mine is fake. Does anyone else feel that way?

I don't own an LV either. There are a lot of fakes out there and I'm so new to designer purses that I can't tell the difference at this point (but I'm learning slowly). Besides, I see so many girls/ladies carry them (whether authentic or fake) where I live that I'm just turned off from using one. Over saturation..I would feel like one of the masses carrying an LV around. I hate feeling like I would be stereotyped based on what I carry.

As to what I think of others with fakes, to each their own. I agree with a lot of the sentiments from other posters...a lot of those who carry the bags don't realize they are carrying fakes and when they say its real, they may truly believe it. For those that just like the style/size/usability, they may not even be aware that its a copy of a designer version. Then there are those who know nothing about handbags/designers/etc and just want something to put their wallet in (like someone I know :P).

I'm glad I found this forum. I've been reading up on various designer bags and sub forums so I can make an educated purchase when I am ready.

I'm still not convinced on the LV bags, maybe after reading the LV forum and seeing all the photos posted, I will have a better understanding and would want one...but for now, no.

I've heard a few people justify buying fakes because the real ones are so expensive- I had a magazine recently that had a great article about fakes vs real and WHY real is so much more expensive- its the craftsmanship- many are hand made, hand shaped and much more labor intensive, therefore WORTH more !!

I would never buy a fake bacause I am embarressed to carry it. I see so many fake Chloe Paddingtons with the padlock saying Chloe and the nasty imitation leather.

However I do own an 'inspired' bag which is a real leather tan coloured bag which is from Morocco, that is in the style of a mini 'sienna' Kooba (see the pic below)

I think this isnt classed as 'fake' because it isnt a straight copy. see the difference between a kooba and this one. I prefer this to a kooba because its smaller, has thicker straps and fits snug under the arm bit Plus my bag doesnt have a kooba plate on it so its not a true wannabe.

However my IF bags are the real deal and I have seem exact copy fakes in plastic and I felt embarressed for the sellers!:P

Halzer. Love your bag because of the smaller size. I can't wear the large sizes. They look ridiculous on me even if they are "in" right now. Kooba is totally my style. I'm just waiting for the right size to come out.

A. That it supports criminal activity including terrorism.
B. Cheesy. There are enough cute mid and low end bags than to get fakes so honestly it does tend to make me wonder if the person is trying to convey a certain monetary status that they don't actually have.
C. Tacky. Based on my experience I associate it with a certain style of dress and behavior.

In the end I try not to judge and many of the above stated may be in fact false assumptions but those do tend to be my first thoughts.