Your recommendation on a handbag for finance job interview

annie_finance

Nov 29, 2011
Hello Ladies,

My knowledge of handbags is limited. Would any of you kindly recommend a handbag for finance job interview purpose?

I have looked into Longchamp Roseau tote and Kate Spade Gold Coast Maryanne. At the moment, I think Longchamp Roseau is the better choice over KS. However, I am still not sure if I have made a good choice.

Any of your thoughts on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million.

Annie

I can only speak for Longchamp bags--I've always used Longchamp planetes tote as well as my Longchamp leather tote for my interviews in the past.
I personally think you can't go wrong with Longchamp for job interviews--discreet conservative designs without excessive hardware or logos/monograms plastered all over it.
Good luck with the interview!

I honestly don't think it matters. A lot more depends on how old you are and whether you are interviewing for an entry level job. For example, most people that I see interviewing carry their documents (resume, transcripts, etc.) in a portfolio, and leave the handbag/purse in the main reception coat check closet. Very rarely do I see an interview candidate carrying around a purse. Portfolio, yes. Purse, no.

I honestly don't think it matters. A lot more depends on how old you are and whether you are interviewing for an entry level job. For example, most people that I see interviewing carry their documents (resume, transcripts, etc.) in a portfolio, and leave the handbag/purse in the main reception coat check closet. Very rarely do I see an interview candidate carrying around a purse. Portfolio, yes. Purse, no.

Agreed - don't think it matters too much. I had the same issue, ended up carrying a plain black coach leather tote, and never brought it into the interview room. Having said that, I think the Longchamp would be a better choice as well=) Good luck!

I worked many years in HR (legal field), and I agree with the previous posts. Either of the bags you mentioned would be fine, although the Longchamp might look more discrete than the Kate Spade. The main thing is to have something conservative and professional - nothing oversized, and no logos or bold hardware. I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a smaller-sized shoulder bag or carrying a structured bag into a interview, as long as you have your portfolio in the other hand. (In fact, most female interviewees over the years did have bags, as I recall.)

I've never been in a job interview where I was asked to leave my purse behind. I would never leave my bag (regardless of cost) out of my sight anyway. On interviews, I was always told something to the extent of "please bring your things with you."

Between the two bags mentioned by annie, I would go with the Longchamp. It has a very classic, sleek and sophisticated look that is perfect for an office.

I've never been in a job interview where I was asked to leave my purse behind. I would never leave my bag (regardless of cost) out of my sight anyway. On interviews, I was always told something to the extent of "please bring your things with you."

Like I said, it really depends on with whom and where you are interviewing. With finance jobs (at least in large cities), they are used to candidates having to fly in/out to come and interview, so it's not uncommon for an interview candidate to have luggage with him/her. They will offer to store your luggage, coat, etc. in the coat closet so you only have to carry around your portfolio. The coat closet is in the reception area that's monitored by the receptionist, so it's not like it's just left somewhere behind.

That said, if OP wants a bag, I would also go with the Longchamp over the Maryanne. I don't like the quilted look for a "professional" handbag.

You don't want to come off as the entitled rich kid. Whether you bring the bag into the interview or leave it in a closet, make sure the bag is conservative and simple (no logos, no designer bags that don't bear a logo but are easy to spot, such as Bottega). Find a random black leather bag that screams "practical and polished." You want to be confident, but also humble (particularly if you're interviewing for an entry level position, future underling), plus ambitious, hard-working, collected and well-spoken.

No MD who pulls 80 hour work weeks to support her bag habit wants to see you waltz in with the same large Fendi peekaboo she treated herself to last year after bonuses were paid. Even if you bought the bag yourself by saving every penny you could from your part-time college job. What are you going to say when you're asked about your work experience? "I decided to work during college because I really really wanted a designer handbag." Wrong answer.

Keep jewelry to a minimum, think the opposite of a model in a J Crew catalogue loaded with baubles and bangles. Pearl earrings and a necklace are appropriate. Your jewelry shouldn't make noise when you move. A watch shows that you're responsible and timely, but once again, be careful, no cartier or rolex, etc. If you're interviewing with a male, a designer bag could fly right over his head but he'll spot a flashy watch in a second.

No flashy shoes. Black leather pumps. Ivanka ***** Indico pumps are a good choice.

Simple, well-made suit as well. Pinstripes and patterns are tricky, when in doubt, solid navy or black is a no brainer. Simple blouse as well. No boobs. You don't have to dress like a nun but you need to look composed. Make sure everything fits perfectly (pants are the right length with your heels, blouse doesn't pull, etc).

Have many copies of resume in a portfolio. They should be printed on a nice quality paper (just look for resume paper in staples). Ruthlessly edit until you are 100% sure there is not a single typo (although of you have the interview set up, HR has already looked at your resume).

If you have a tendency to play with your hair when you're talking, pull it back. You're not doing yourself any favors if you're flipping/twirling while answering questions.

You don't want to come off as the entitled rich kid. Whether you bring the bag into the interview or leave it in a closet, make sure the bag is conservative and simple (no logos, no designer bags that don't bear a logo but are easy to spot, such as Bottega). Find a random black leather bag that screams "practical and polished." You want to be confident, but also humble (particularly if you're interviewing for an entry level position, future underling), plus ambitious, hard-working, collected and well-spoken.

No MD who pulls 80 hour work weeks to support her bag habit wants to see you waltz in with the same large Fendi peekaboo she treated herself to last year after bonuses were paid. Even if you bought the bag yourself by saving every penny you could from your part-time college job. What are you going to say when you're asked about your work experience? "I decided to work during college because I really really wanted a designer handbag." Wrong answer.

Keep jewelry to a minimum, think the opposite of a model in a J Crew catalogue loaded with baubles and bangles. Pearl earrings and a necklace are appropriate. Your jewelry shouldn't make noise when you move. A watch shows that you're responsible and timely, but once again, be careful, no cartier or rolex, etc. If you're interviewing with a male, a designer bag could fly right over his head but he'll spot a flashy watch in a second.

No flashy shoes. Black leather pumps. Ivanka ***** Indico pumps are a good choice.

Simple, well-made suit as well. Pinstripes and patterns are tricky, when in doubt, solid navy or black is a no brainer. Simple blouse as well. No boobs. You don't have to dress like a nun but you need to look composed. Make sure everything fits perfectly (pants are the right length with your heels, blouse doesn't pull, etc).

Have many copies of resume in a portfolio. They should be printed on a nice quality paper (just look for resume paper in staples). Ruthlessly edit until you are 100% sure there is not a single typo (although of you have the interview set up, HR has already looked at your resume).

If you have a tendency to play with your hair when you're talking, pull it back. You're not doing yourself any favors if you're flipping/twirling while answering questions.
This is the now infamous UBS dress code. A little extreme, but it is a useful guide: http://www.letemps.ch/rw/Le_Temps/Quotidien/2010/12/09/Culture & Societe/ImagesWeb/Dresscode_F.pdf

One last thing, start reading the WSJ asap.

I don't know how much a Longchamp costs but I do know Kate Spade's price range and I think that would be fine for an interview.

I'd stay away from anything 'expensive' or obvious like LV (most of the KS bags I've seen just have a small logo plate on and I don't think non-fans would even know to look for it).

Also it should be 'businesslike' and understated (not logos all over). Once I was in a meeting with a vendor who carried a huge gold, lizardy, blingy Kathy van Zeeland (I like Kathy van Zeeland, I'm not saying it looked cheap or anything) which was very distracting. People kept looking at her bag (even people I know couldn't care less about bags generally) instead of listening to the presentation.

I honestly don't think it matters.

+1. The clothes and accessories should just be background so as long as your choice doesn't detract from the overall look it should make no difference. A folio with your resume would be more important, IMHO, and perhaps still not important enough to buy one just for an interview if you don't already have one.

Best of luck on the interview!

Thank you so so much for all your insight. I will go with the Longchamp Roseau handbag.
Would any of you kindly share some light on how can I receive a discount on the Longchamp bag? Should I get a Bloomingdale store "credit card" in order to get 10% off?

Annie

I work in finance and always have so all my interviews have been in this industry and I have never left my handbag in the reception or anywhere else, I do carry a portfolio but I have it inside my handbag (a Mulberry Bayswater) so it is easy to access but looks smart & professional. Of course the bag on this occasion does come second to your clothes & hair as they are the most noticeable traits and if you are being interviewed by men they may not even see the bag or your shoes.

Be confident and professional and GOOD LUCK!!