Your real vs. her fake ....

Although I think this topic has been discussed to death, I just can't resist.

I would never buy a fake bag. I don't condemn others who carry fakes but I would never support this illegal industry. I also hate when people assume that my bag is fake (That is what really ticks me off more than anything).

amber11, welcome to the forum. You are certainly welcome to your opinion however we do not condone/promote/tolerate fakes in this forum. If you do a search I am sure you will find many reasons why this is so. Fakes are illegal for a reason. There are certainly many fashionable choices out there that are not fake. One does not need to carry LV/Chanel/--- in order to be fashionable.

I feel bad when people judge others just because they carry fake bags.
I agree that I'd rather save up and buy the real thing just because in my country, fake bags are sold for hundreds and hundreds of $$$. I'd rather use that money getting the real thing. Just my opinion.

I agree that not everyone can afford expensive bags or willing to pay $$$$ for a bag even they have money..so that's why they buy fakes.. I had someone told me better buy fakes than real when I was carrying my real bag because there's no one cares about it anyway...and I just smiled at her and honestly I feel so annoyed by that woman...I, personally, prefer not to buy fakes because I do not want to push myself to buy something I can't pay for. I think its better to stay within my limit like someone here mentioned before. I'd love to have Birkin someday but now I don't have the money to splurge on that bag. So, I'm saving up.

If I see someone bring fake bags, sometimes it bothers me but then I try to understand that not so many people can't afford to buy $2000++ bag and I'm a lucky duck who can afford it.. and just be thankful for that.

It doesn't bother me. I think people who carry fakes are probably insecure of themselves or usually I give them the benefit of the doubt that they're unaware of certain styles that are fakes (eg: fake chloe paddington without the lock or whatever). These people probably buy from stores that make look-a-likes like Aldo or Zara. No surprises. A deliberate fake would probably get me cringing but I'm probably too used to it in this city. I have my own style and I dress well with my bags so I don't usually get comments like my bags are fake but stuff like "She looks like a rich kid", "Spoilt brat!" and all.

How do I feel? Honestly, a little embarassed for the other girl. I don't mean to sound judgmental, but if I do.. so be it. If I only had a budget of $20, I could find far better ways to dress myself than to resort to wearing a fake.

It sounds like many of you are judging people for wearing fake bags, just because they don't have the money for the real thing shouldn't mean they should be denied of a fashionable purses also? an expensive bag does not equal a stylish woman personally I think the LV bag (anything other then the monogrammed brown) looks like a diaper bag, how is that fashionable? It sounds terrible the way you guys are talking about those people with their fake bags?

A truly stylish woman wouldn't need to resort to fakes. They could take as little as $20 and find a very fashionable bag at a department store and completely "rock it" better than some women who are out there toting thousand dollar bags, but are clueless about style.

You are right that money does not dictate style, but that doesn't mean that ANYONE needs to knowingly resort to fakes if they want a fashionable purse.

I don't think the vast majority of people here are judging "those" people with "their" fake bags... it's just that bluntly, fakes are NOT, EVER acceptable. They are illegal, and contribute to child labor, as well as terrorism, arms trafficking, and drugs.

-So if it seems that we are being harsh on fakes, it's just because we are aware of the harsh realities of fakes. There are no fake bags that merely exist to be simply a function of fashion alone.

It sounds like many of you are judging people for wearing fake bags, just because they don't have the money for the real thing shouldn't mean they should be denied of a fashionable purses also? an expensive bag does not equal a stylish woman personally I think the LV bag (anything other then the monogrammed brown) looks like a diaper bag, how is that fashionable? It sounds terrible the way you guys are talking about those people with their fake bags?

We aren't making fun of the fact that they can't afford it. We don't condone counterfeits and what they stand for. We also don't understand why people try to be something they are not. Fakes aren't stylish. They promote child labor and terrorism. I think that if a woman carries anything with confidence, whether it be Coach or Chanel, that is all that matters.

A truly stylish woman wouldn't need to resort to fakes. They could take as little as $20 and find a very fashionable bag at a department store and completely "rock it" better than some women who are out there toting thousand dollar bags, but are clueless about style.

You are right that money does not dictate style, but that doesn't mean that ANYONE needs to knowingly resort to fakes if they want a fashionable purse.

I don't think the vast majority of people here are judging "those" people with "their" fake bags... it's just that bluntly, fakes are NOT, EVER acceptable. They are illegal, and contribute to child labor, as well as terrorism, arms trafficking, and drugs.

-So if it seems that we are being harsh on fakes, it's just because we are aware of the harsh realities of fakes. There are no fake bags that merely exist to be simply a function of fashion alone.

Completely agree

And many judge us for carrying real bags...

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was that no one every remotely suggested that just because they can't afford (or choose not to buy) Chanel or some other designer bag that they don't deserve a fashionable handbag. There are plenty no name bags out there that are fashionable and nice. However, those bags are not illegal. They do not steal designs. Expensive bags doesn't = stylish. I don't think that is really what anyone is saying. I think posters that call out these people do sound obnoxious but IMHO, the majority of the comments are not horrible.

It bothers me when I see a fake Chanel because I don't want the Chanel brand to be counterfeited like the LV brand has been. I truly want Chanel to stay above the masses because I like carrying unique bags. I have started seeing more fake Chanels than before and they do seem to be just certain styles. It seems the fake bags scream "Chanel" while the real ones are just quiet and classy!

I think there were some posts mentioning that people laughed at the ones they saw with fakes. That is as tacky as wearing the fakes. I think it's OK to by a style that is similar to a designer bag as long as you are not trying to buy a fake. Like, it's clear that the bag is not a knock-off. So, I don't like fakes, but I'm not going to feel agressive or look down on someone who has a fake.

Why so many posts on laughing about people who carry fakes? Such happiness in feeling better about having a real versus fake.
I don't carry fakes. I know it is wrong and what is behind them but it is none of my business what others do.
I would never insult a person or laugh at them or even give them a second thought on what they have.
In life there are such more important things to worry about then judging a person on what they wear. I feel sorry if a person has to pick on others to make themself feel better about who they are.

There's a difference between people carrying knowingly or unknowingly a fake bag IMO.

The ones who are knowingly wearing a fake bag should know better. The ones who are unknowingly wearing a fake bag.... Well, I just feel sorry for them, since they might have spent a lot of their precious money to get them.

It's awful to watch people bidding on fake bags on eBay, sometimes even up to $2000 :wtf:. It makes me wanna scream to them: come on over to tPF, educate yourselves on Chanel before placing any bid! I always try to report these scammers to eBay, but often enough they'll get away with it. So sad.

There's a difference between people carrying knowingly or unknowingly a fake bag IMO.

So true. My best friend had a "Goach" bag in college. It's like the illicit, inbred lovechild of a Gucci & Coach bag with interlocking Gs in the style of the Coach monogram.

I didn't say anything at the time, but now we both look back and cringe. She really didn't know any better.