Your Opinion Please on New Mini vs Preloved Medium

arguspeace

O.G.
Sep 11, 2010
Hi all, I have a BNIB Chanel rectangular lambskin mini that I keep trying on at home and not using because it's a little too small and I'm scared to damage the leather. I'm thinking about buying a medium caviar that I believe I'll use every day. It will have to be preloved though and I will have to sell another bag (Celine Trapeze) in addition to the mini to fund the medium. I am wondering if I will regret selling the mini because they are so hard to get. I also feel like it's a waste sitting in my closet (like the Trapeze) Any thoughts/opinions on what I should do? I bought the mini because it was what I could afford at the time. I should have waited and saved more for a bigger bag, I sold a WoC previously for the same reason. Clearly patience is not my forte. I'm not going to make the same mistake a third time!!! : ) TIA

Hi all, I have a BNIB Chanel rectangular lambskin mini that I keep trying on at home and not using because it's a little too small and I'm scared to damage the leather. I'm thinking about buying a medium caviar that I believe I'll use every day. It will have to be preloved though and I will have to sell another bag (Celine Trapeze) in addition to the mini to fund the medium. I am wondering if I will regret selling the mini because they are so hard to get. I also feel like it's a waste sitting in my closet (like the Trapeze) Any thoughts/opinions on what I should do? I bought the mini because it was what I could afford at the time. I should have waited and saved more for a bigger bag, I sold a WoC previously for the same reason. Clearly patience is not my forte. I'm not going to make the same mistake a third time!!! : ) TIA
To avoid later on selling the M/L, want to see if you have ever tried putting your daily essential items into a M/L size before, and have tried it on in person? (it cross bodies for some but not everyone, and sits a bit high even if you could cross body).

I would suggest that you go to a store and try it on for size first, and play with the caviar leather and ensure you like this size and leather and look first. If you are sure this is the right one for you, then finding one that you can afford sounds like the right idea. the thing is, it might take a little while to find one in resale market but the good news is that it's possible for you to score a good deal, just make sure you get it authenticated first and heed the warnings and tips of buying in a safe manner to avoid issues.

good luck

you sold the woc, which holds basically nothing, and now you want to sell the mini, which you say is too small. i think you should sell the mini - you're obviously not a small bag person, the pricepoint of those bags is just lower and more appealing, and 'it's hard to get' isn't a reason to keep a bag. definitely go into a store first (even if you plan to buy preloved) and put your stuff inside the medium to make sure that'll be big enough and suitable for you. i don't see why you'd regret selling the mini... do you regret selling the woc? if a bag isn't useful then re-home it and get something that fits your needs better. and don't worry about making mistakes, i think we all know how it feels to have bought the 'wrong' bag multiple times until we find what fits

It depends on how you want to wear your bag as well. The medium flap doesn't allow cross body but the mini does. If I compare how much both can hold, the medium just holds slightly more. Normally I've 2 lippies, my trifold Chanel wallet, hand sanitizer, thin card holder, some receipts and my iPhone 6s. The medium will hold maybe an additional key holder and maybe the Chanel o case.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I agree with the great advice you've been given so far. A bag being "hard to get" is never a sufficient reason to own it. There are "hard to get" bags that I hate. I am happy for others to own them and for me to run screaming from them. :lol: Your bag should work for you and support your happy lifestyle. It seems like the mini isn't doing that for you. And that's ok. :flowers:

If I were you, I'd go into a Chanel boutique and try my things in a M/L classic flap, a jumbo, a couple of different sizes of reissue and maybe even a seasonal bag or two that I loved. Figure out what bag functions well for you and sparks joy. Then you can go after it! :smile:

I personally looooove the preowned market because you can get new or like new bags for a fraction of the price. I don't own a reissue or a seasonal bag, but I've read that the price drops quite nicely (for a buyer) resale. And as you know there are beautiful M/L classic flaps available too. So whatever you want you will be able to find (with patience).

And as for the lamb. Most of my Chanels are lamb. I love the material. They aren't overly delicate. So not workhorse material but definitely material to use and love.

And, you didn't ask directly but I don't think selling the Celine Trapeze is a huge loss. I think bags with extended side gussets are going to look dated down the road. And Celine bags don't hold their value well despite their high quality construction and materials. So if you don't use / dearly love the Trapeze, I'd suggest you sell it immediately to get what you can out of it and move to a bag that will better hold its value and make you truly happy. :tup:

Definitely sell what you don't love and don't use! Of course unless budget is not a concern :smile: But don't get what looks and works well on others either! If you're scared of using lambskins, go for caviar or calf. If you like to wear bags crossbody, M/L may not work unless you're on the petite side. If you like to have more room in your bag, and the option for crossbody or shoulder, maybe consider a jumbo.

Try them at a store without distractions from their prices first. You'll know what's best for you. I've been tempted by how awesome jumbo looks on others many many times, and how much more room I get. But after trying it on in the store, I can quickly remind myself how heavy it was empty when the temptation arise each and every time now. ;) I've also seen friends make awful purchase decisions on seasonal styles solely because of lower price points or because they're traveling somewhere with weaker currencies too. The bags end up lasting half as long as their good purchases, so in a sense, lose more money in the long run.

Be a smart shopper for yourself ;)

Reactions: katiebal
Agree with previous posters that you should sell any bags that don't fit your lifestyle, unless you are a collector. Definitely try on the M/L to make sure that it isn't once again too small for your needs. You can also consider the reissue as it often holds a bit more than the classic of comparable size due to the leather and it can easily be worn crossbody.

Hi OP! I recently bought my first M/L (love it!), and my experience with the bag is that it is totally different from my mini. Although the M/L fits more, the difference is not really that significant. You also need to get used to the double flap, which some people seem to like while others don't. Personally, I am learning to live with the double flap... I'd much prefer a single flap which is way more convenient, but I was after a specific leather / hardware combination and had to pounce on the M/L which was available in the store whereas the mini wasn't.

Before you sell your mini and pull the trigger on the M/L, I'd suggest trying to get hold of an M/L that you can use for an extended period of time. Are you based in the US? Perhaps you can consider borrowing from a friend or renting a bag (have heard of Bag, Borrow or Steal but never tried it). Use it for a few weeks, see how you like it, and assess if the bag fits all your daily essentials. You might end up finding a different size bag is more appropriate for your lifestyle!

Also just wanted to add that you really don't have to worry about damaging your lambskin mini. If you are carrying it crossbody, it shouldn't really get damaged easily. Just use your hands to "protect" your bag if walking through crowds and you should be fine. :smile:

All the advices above are great! I think you need to figure out what works for you first.

Maybe try on m/l at boutiques or consignment stores. M/l can fit more than mini, but not a lot more. Just a few small things due to the double flap. Plus m/l cant be worn crossbody as comfortable as mini. Maybe consider jumbo caviar too since its bigger and can be worn crossbody. If weight is an issue for u, try the single jumbo as suggested by Sparkletastic.

Imo, dont keep bags just because they are hard to come by. There are always new things, and unless its a classic, the trend will eventually slows down. & you need to make sure the bags with you are the ones that you trully love & can make most use.

Good luck!

I tried the M/L a long time ago, before large and frequent price increases, and it barely fit my essentials. At that time, my thinking was since M/L is too small and I really want a Chanel, I’ll just get the WoC and save a lot of money and only use it for nights out. Turns out I was too lazy to take cards out of my wallet so the WoC got little use and was sold (which I do not regret.)

But, I have since downsized my essentials a bit so I will try it again (regardless of what I end up choosing, I will forever kick myself for not buying more pieces before prices went through the roof.) I like wearing my bags on my shoulder and crossbody; I am 5’1” so I *may* be able to do crossbody with an M/L.

I understand mini holds almost as much as an M/L, which was one reason I got the mini. My original plan was to add the Jumbo later (I have tried the Jumbo before and thought it was too large, but I’m going to try it again.) but now my priority is to sell the mini so I know what my budget is. I do have to be careful with not getting a very large bag because I’ve never met one I can’t fill :P

I have researched reissues online and know the sizes/strap drops are different from the classic flaps. I prefer the classic flap look (even though reissue is more in the spirit of the original,) but I plan on trying reissues too (especially the 226/227s) I hope I find a size that works for me. I know I’m not the only one who has wished for one between M/L and Jumbo.

I have in mind shw, which looks harder to find than ghw from a quick glance at resale sites. This sounds like a good opportunity for me to learn to be patient. Regardless of which combination I go with I will definitely get it authenticated first.

Thanks for the idea of borrowing an M/L for a few weeks. Unfortunately I do not have any friends who have one. I am based in U.S. but in Asia right now for an extended period of time. I have never used BBS but will check them out.

I am excited (and relieved) about finding what works for me and getting a bag I want without (too much) compromising and feeling happy looking at her and joy in using her. Not to mention more shelf space. I definitely want to be a smarter shopper, I’ve bought and sold a number of bags over the years and always end up losing money :annoyed:

Lastly, I am selling the Trapeze as we speak. I agree with you, Sparkletastic, I bought it for the quality and craftsmanship as much as the style, but their values drop steeply and quickly. I’m now finding it too big and it’s hard to get things in/out of it so off it goes : )

I really appreciate all your opinions and advice. No one I know likes to talk about bags as much as I do, your input is very valuable to me :heart::heart::heart:

This is something I was tossing up with -a preloved medium flap or mini flap.

I ended up getting both!

I got the preloved medium flap first because this was the holy grail bag for me (i.e. if I could only have 1 Chanel it would be a classic flap medium) and I came across one at a great price

Then I got a mini because I wanted a more carefree Chanel. The medium flap was in lambskin and however much I love love lambskin -its too scary to bring out every weekend. I don't think lambskin is suited for every weekend because it does scratch and I don't want to risk rain on it.

Now I'm very Chanel satisfied with my medium and mini :smile:

Good luck deciding! I think get the one you can't live without and makes you happy :smile:

I keep thinking of getting a medium CF, too. The construction is so amazing, but the capacity of the bag is very limited. A couple of years ago I was looking to buy my first Chanel bag. I watched so many youtube videos of the m/l and what fits. Then I DID go to a consignment store where they had everything to try. Medium, 2 jumbos (double and single flap), and maxi. The Maxi was eliminated immediately. Those chains were so massive and heavy they could tow a truck! Both Jumbo had chains that were too long as single chain wear and doubled felt awkward and overwhelming. Next the medium... I prefer a shoulder length to crossbody so the chains were great & comfortable. But the capacity is not much more than a mini. I had my LV Eva clutch with me that day so I tried putting the items into the medium CF. They fit but it was tight. The Eva appears so much smaller but it is pliable. The Chanel doesn't have much give.

I ended up getting the Trendy CC size small. It fits double what the medium CF holds. It's lined with red leather like the CF. Its so well made and beautiful. Then I bought a couple more Chanels including the sq mini but still think about the medium CF. There is something about it. I have to keep reminding myself how limited the storage was that day. Like a mantra.. 5K for a bag but can't fit sunglasses... etc. Big bucks,,, stuff doesn't fit. It's like I know better but I keep wanting that bag!

My first Chanel is a jumbo and I never look back. :smile: from your answers, it sounds like you are a "big bag" kind of girls, so instead of saving for the m/l and potentially get a jumbo in the future, I'll say try to save for a jumbo instead (before prices increase or caviar leather goes out of production). Depending on your everyday items, m/l may not fit. For me it's very important to be able to fit a book or an iPad on my everyday bag ; as well as being able to use it as a work / travel bag so a jumbo was a no brainer. if you don't carry a5 sized items around, m/l could be a good fit. (I'm getting m/l next just for night outs and evening wear).

Get a bag that you will use everyday or at least a few times a week; think about all the typical items you will take with you on those uses and see which size fit. More regular use and fit your lifestyle is the most important criteria for choosing a bag.

Reactions: Sparkletastic