Your opinion on wallets

newbie7

Feb 28, 2012
Hi - I don't have any experience with Ferragamo brand, but now contemplating on either buying a Ferragamo or Balenciaga wallet. I own several Balenciaga handbags, but none wallet. I thought I would get a Bal. wallet to go with my handbags, however, I am now drawn to Ferragamo wallet design (the bow gets me!)

Do you have any experience with Ferragamo wallet's quality and functionality? Does anyone here own both brands wallet and prefer one over the other?
Which wallet do you suggest I should buy? TIA.

I had a black leather french purse style Ferragamo wallet that I used for at least 5 years. It was the perfect shape/size, and even had a clear ID window. The leather held up wonderfully, and I never even waterproofed or moisturized it. However, mine had the grosgrain bow on the outside flap (of the coin purse side), and the ribbon became threadbare on the edges. I contacted Ferragamo, who said that couldn't be fixed. After the bow got too shabby looking, I retired the wallet. If the bow you are looking at is leather, or if you don't think you'll have this wallet forever, I would recommend it.

I don't know a thing about Balenciaga (not my personal style at all) so I cannot compare the two.

I have owned several Ferragamo wallets and have always been very happy with them. Quality and workmanship are outstanding. I have also owned many Balenciaga bags and coin purses, but don't really like their wallets. I would personally choose Ferragamo, Fendi or LV over Bal for wallets.

I had a black leather french purse style Ferragamo wallet that I used for at least 5 years. It was the perfect shape/size, and even had a clear ID window. The leather held up wonderfully, and I never even waterproofed or moisturized it. However, mine had the grosgrain bow on the outside flap (of the coin purse side), and the ribbon became threadbare on the edges. I contacted Ferragamo, who said that couldn't be fixed. After the bow got too shabby looking, I retired the wallet. If the bow you are looking at is leather, or if you don't think you'll have this wallet forever, I would recommend it.

I don't know a thing about Balenciaga (not my personal style at all) so I cannot compare the two.

Thanks for your input. 5 years is a long enough time for me. I think I will go for a Ferragamo wallet.

I have owned several Ferragamo wallets and have always been very happy with them. Quality and workmanship are outstanding. I have also owned many Balenciaga bags and coin purses, but don't really like their wallets. I would personally choose Ferragamo, Fendi or LV over Bal for wallets.

Glad to hear from you. Do you recommend certain leather type in Ferragamo wallets? I am eying the Vara Icona wallet. It seems NM has taken down other "bow" type wallets.

Glad to hear from you. Do you recommend certain leather type in Ferragamo wallets? I am eying the Vara Icona wallet. It seems NM has taken down other "bow" type wallets.

I've actually only ever bought their pebbled and smooth leather wallets due to preference, but my mom has had several wallets and bags in the saffiano leather and they have all worn well (we have been Ferragamo fans for years, decades if you count my mother). I used to have several wallets just because I liked to switch wallets when I switched my bags, but I no longer do that. In any case, my wallets would always last me at least 5 years.