Your Most Regretful Bag Purchase

Apr 22, 2018
What is your most regretful bag purchase?

Mine would be the Strathberry Midi Lana bag. I bought the bag online directly from the Strathberry website. The bag itself is very nice quality and the leather feels nice! The size is decent and fits all my essentials.

However, maybe it’s my body shape, the bucket bag keeps sliding off my shoulder. Not the most convenient when I have to hold my toddler sometimes. I don’t like to use the bag as a crossbody bag - don’t like the look of it.

Just glancing at my current collection, think it's probably the Loewe Gate bag that I got in blue. Not a problem with the style of the bag, but this was an impulse purchase and I am NOT a blue gal at all. Been struggling to wear it and am likely going to sell. :shocked:

Oh, I don’t own any bags from Loewe, but I have heard good things about their leather quality :smile::smile:. Yes, I know what you mean! Now I only buy bags in neutral colours - black, white, cream, beige, oak/brown, and grey.

From the pictures I googled, the Loewe gate bag looks cute!

Another lesson I learned was - don’t buy a bag because it’s on sale. Buy it because you love it.

I have two.

Hermes red Halzan. Bought on impulse, realized afterwards that I don't like red bags on me (doesn't match my personality or skintone.) :facepalm:

Chanel 226 crumpled calfskin soblack Reissue. I LOVED this bag, but afterwards realized it was a tad too big and bulky to look perfect for my frame, and should have bought the 225 size as my holy grail. Not available all the time so I missed out on that window. :facepalm:

Burberry small belt bag. Super heavy, no opening to close it.

Strathberry East West. Smaller than I thought, and the chain strap is awkward. But the bag is beautiful. I did get it on sale, and will carry it. Just wish it were a little larger.

Reactions: 880
Oh, I don’t own any bags from Loewe, but I have heard good things about their leather quality :smile::smile:. Yes, I know what you mean! Now I only buy bags in neutral colours - black, white, cream, beige, oak/brown, and grey.

From the pictures I googled, the Loewe gate bag looks cute!

Another lesson I learned was - don’t buy a bag because it’s on sale. Buy it because you love it.
Yes, exactly! I am a neutral color type of gal, lots of black bags, tan/brown/cream tones, and my preferred pop of color is red. I don't even wear blue denim, I don't know what I was thinking at all!
Plus the bag was on sale, hence the spontaneous purchase... Sigh.

A few regrets
a beautiful barenia HAC 32 GHW right at the moment when I decided I preferred PHW for H bags.

every beige Caviar leather chanel bag I ever bought. I’m more a metallic chanel person. And if I want beige, I much prefer Hermes etoupe or gold.

I also regret selling some h bags: namely a marron fonce Fjord Paris Bombay, a Porc kelly 28 and a black troika bolide 31. But, you only know you love an H bag, when you sell it and then, a few months later, try to find the same one to re purchase.

It would have to be the Louis Vuitton Suhali Lockit PM.

I bought it many years ago thinking it would compensate for the bag I really wanted (Birkin) and when it came time to selling it, I lost roughly $2,400, which was a tough pill to swallow. I debated on whether I should sell it or not based on resale value, but I wanted the small Chanel Boy more and thought the $800 would be handy in contributing towards the Boy.

I also found the bag dated quite quickly based on its yellow contrast stitching. At that time, I also went through a long phase of loving handheld bags.

Since that happened, I have been very strict in deciding which bags I allow into my collection. That's why I prefer to play it safe nowadays.

Everytime I buy a preloved bag I end up regretting it. I just can't fall in love with them. I've always ended up selling them even at a significant loss. I've vowed never to buy preloved again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying preloved. If there were then I wouldn't be able to sell mine and you really can get nice, like new bags at a huge discount. But I'm just speaking honestly here when I say it is not for me.

Chanel Jumbo in lambskin (too scared to wear)

Gucci Dionysus in small - love the bag but the chain strap constantly rolls off my shoulder!!

Every girl who loves handbags dreams about owning a Chanel jumbo. Lol. I had that thought too, but eventually decided against it. Lamb skin is too delicate for my lifestyle. I bought a Chanel Boy in calfskin.

Do you sell bags that don’t work out for you?

Reactions: keodi, 880 and JoRW
Chloe Faye Day in brown. I actually love the look of the bag but it is a bit fussy to get in and out of. I’m not much of a brown girl I just had it in my head that I needed a brown bag. The resell price for this bag isn’t too great so I’m not sure what to do with it.

True, Chloe doesn’t have a good resell value. If you aren’t using your bags, do you give them away to your friends and family? I had given a few of my handbags to my cousins.

Last edited:
A few regrets
a beautiful barenia HAC 32 GHW right at the moment when I decided I preferred PHW for H bags.

every beige Caviar leather chanel bag I ever bought. I’m more a metallic chanel person. And if I want beige, I much prefer Hermes etoupe or gold.

I also regret selling some h bags: namely a marron fonce Fjord Paris Bombay, a Porc kelly 28 and a black troika bolide 31. But, you only know you love an H bag, when you sell it and then, a few months later, try to find the same one to re purchase.

Chanel beige bags are nice, but I am afraid it’ll get dirty really quick. Too high maintenance for me. Why did you sell your Kelly 28? Speaking of H, I am looking to buy a Lindy 26. Lol. No rush in purchasing. Whenever it comes, I guess :smile::smile:.