Your interpretation of this Tiffany experience?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
Never read a thread like this one! Very curious to know if the majority of readers think this situation is fair or a little off. If a $1,000 deposit was placed on an e-ring at the store with promise to pick it up in 2-3 weeks for a full payment, do you think acceptable to get a “courtesy” call to return to store within 24 hours to make the full payment? This is 24 hours after leaving the $1000. Another customer out of state wants to “see” ring to compare it next to another and because only $1000 down on it, it can still be shown elsewhere. I, personally, think it sounds sketchy and the store only wants to make the sale sooner rather than later. I recognize that inventory is likely low and maybe there aren’t a lot of stones of that size, shape and specs. But there is $1000 on it. I’d feel obviously much different if zero money was down. Very interested to hear what all of you have to say!

I have no idea what Tiffany's policy is on down payments for engagement rings (I'm surprised they allow that, tbh), but if it is their stated policy to permit down payments, then this seems to be in bad form and poor taste.

They should not be showing the ring to anyone else since you have already made a deposit on it. It's like a home owner should not be showing the house to someone else once a buyer has made a deposit on the house.

Reactions: SakuraSakura
MatAllston - I was so hoping to hear from you! I know you are familiar with Tiffany’s. The store manager says since the ring was transferred in, they can only hold it for 3 days maximum if not paid in full. Otherwise they can transfer to other stores even with a deposit placed on it.

I still think that is not right. They should not be taking a deposit from you if they could sell it to someone else. My two expensive items from them are my two diamond rings: my classic ering and my Lucida. I know they held one of the rings for my hubby when he was undecided and they held it for a few days without any deposit but they did inform him that if someone else asks to view it, they will call to inform my hubby.

Reactions: jennybeans123