Your Hermès Lessons Learned

1. Don't kid yourself that you only need one birkin or kelly then you will be done forever. [guilty!]
2. Stick to what you want and don't be overly steered by what others like. Be brave and say no. Don't settle. [Rouge H is not for me]
3. There is always another season and other colours.
4. You don't have to buy everything at once.
5. Accept tastes change over time, and let those bags go. [sold my 'one thing I'd rescue from burning building 1st birkin...]
6. Unless you have unlimited funds, stick to a rough number of bags to suit your lifestyle and accept you may have to part with some to fund future purchases.
7. Find a good reselling option you trust for when/if you do start selling off older bags/those that you don't use. [I placed a like new bag with a reseller, it didn't sell for ages. I collected it, and it had been clearly used and not stored very well....sold via someone else at a much reduced price due to wear]

1. Don't kid yourself that you only need one birkin or kelly then you will be done forever. [guilty!]
2. Stick to what you want and don't be overly steered by what others like. Be brave and say no. Don't settle. [Rouge H is not for me]
5. Accept tastes change over time, and let those bags go. [sold my 'one thing I'd rescue from burning building 1st birkin...]
6. Unless you have unlimited funds, stick to a rough number of bags to suit your lifestyle and accept you may have to part with some to fund future purchases.
7. Find a good reselling option you trust for when/if you do start selling off older bags/those that you don't use. [I placed a like new bag with a reseller, it didn't sell for ages. I collected it, and it had been clearly used and not stored very well....sold via someone else at a much reduced price due to wear]
Agree! Do you feel comfortable sharing which rehoming site worked out and which to avoid?

This 100%!

My lesson is unfortunately an expensive one: I have to live with something for a while before I know for sure whether it is a keeper. I mean, I know certain things wont ever work for me (I cant do a shoulder bag), but if I’m not sure it has to be “buy now, decide later”.
There is so much pressure associated with bag purchases in Paris and boutiques elsewhere. You have to make up your mind instantaneously. If you don't take the bag someone else will. To a lesser extent this is also true of scarves.

1. I never thought I wanted or would buy a Birkin. I always wanted a Jypsiere. Somewhere I went down the rabbithole
2. You can have too many blue bags...I think- No just kidding--they each serve a different purpose. Just realized I don't have a blue clutch, oh wait I do but not a Jige... :smile:
3. I did not know that some people are competitive and cutthroat about bags...Be Careful
4. H does not have large offering of small shoes 35- that is too bad
5. Its ok to not like Rodeos, twillies or orans

1. I never thought I wanted or would buy a Birkin. I always wanted a Jypsiere. Somewhere I went down the rabbithole
2. You can have too many blue bags...I think- No just kidding--they each serve a different purpose. Just realized I don't have a blue clutch, oh wait I do but not a Jige... :smile:
3. I did not know that some people are competitive and cutthroat about bags...Be Careful
4. H does not have large offering of small shoes 35- that is too bad
5. Its ok to not like Rodeos, twillies or orans
Mauihappyplace, I love no. 1, 2 and 5. Anything you can say to elaborate on 2 and 3, I would appreciate b/c you've obviously thought about these ideas and they're important.

I am familiar with the world of HS, sellers not being truthful about perfume residue, etc. Haven't bought any bags from resellers, I am pretty much a scarfie. I have 4 quota H bags and I got them from the boutique over a period of 20 years. And hardly use them. But I readily use my purple faux leather Coach bag, I like the style and the color. I would say it's ok to like Coach bags that are not even leather. So what? Some people I know would readily sneer at this choice and engage in one upmanship just to make themselves feel good, especially when other people are listening. I guess that would be my experience with no. 3. I no longer hang with these people.

Mauihappyplace, I love no. 1, 2 and 5. Anything you can say to elaborate on 2 and 3, I would appreciate b/c you've obviously thought about these ideas and they're important.

I am familiar with the world of HS, sellers not being truthful about perfume residue, etc. Haven't bought any bags from resellers, I am pretty much a scarfie. I have 4 quota H bags and I got them from the boutique over a period of 20 years. And hardly use them. But I readily use my purple faux leather Coach bag, I like the style and the color. I would say it's ok to like Coach bags that are not even leather. So what? Some people I know would readily sneer at this choice and engage in one upmanship just to make themselves feel good, especially when other people are listening. I guess that would be my experience with no. 3. I no longer hang with these people.
#2 BLue is my favorite color and 85% of my wardrobe so although I have several (#15 or so) blue bags they each serve different purpose...B25 ostrich B 30 epsom very different, C18 and C24...I have my BLues posted on the blue family thread. When I wrote the above post I forgot that I have a Kelly Depeches
in BLue Nuit but I was thinking I could use a dressy blue clutch like a pochette or kelly cut or jige...Hope my SA is lurking around here.
#3 None of my close friends are into luxury goods, but they indulge me. But I have some "associates" who ask questions about my bags...I was naive and did not realize this was not genuine curiosity but competitive vibe. Not to mention some tpf and FB people. In the purse world I thought we were all just appreciating each other's bags, I didn't know people were lying about how they "scored" bags, being resellers...I didn't know that people steal photos of peoples bags etc...Lessons learned the purse world especially Hermes can be cutthroat...Strange but true

1. Pace yourself, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.
2. Always try on the RTW, sizing varies season to season
3. Same advice on shoes, sizing varies.
Agree with #1...Hermes is a long journey...there are many who expect to drop a ton of $ in one visit and expect to be offered a QB..
#3 - can be annoying but the same happens for usual sport sneaker brands too...

Wow 4 QB in a span of 20 years...that's like an average of 1 QB per 5 years...I love this kind of pace tbh...gives you time to actually enjoy the QB and continue to shop and decide what your next QB would be...

I bought 2 non-QB from resellers and lucky it's from the same trusted one so far no issues but with increase taxes to buy them when it comes into my country...I decided not to buy anymore as I am happy with my current non-QB collection which fits my lifestyle though one day once financial commitments are done...I would like to save for the 1 QB...

1. Twillies are for me to wear, not my bags.
2. I can figure out a way to incorporate a 90 or other silk into my outfit every single day even though I am mostly very casual (today: jeans with many holes, white tee shirt, Birkenstocks, mousseline, B25)
3. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, there is no point saving your ‘good’ stuff (bags, shoes, RTW) for a special occasion…wear and carry everything because you are worth it!
4. GHW really is the only HW…I’ve rehomed more than a few bags (not just H) that I really thought I loved because they had PHW.

Agree! Do you feel comfortable sharing which rehoming site worked out and which to avoid?
I think it depends on what works for you and who gives best price. I've moved from consignment options to outright sale. You get a bit less, but no waiting and no stress at someone having a bag you own for long periods of time. Shop around for best price and read all the t's and c's. I don't flip bags or buy to sell on, so it really depends what the demand is for older/used bags I'm selling on. Prices vary a lot.