Your Hermès Lessons Learned

foxyqt

O.G.
May 22, 2007
Hi all!

So I thought it would be a fun idea if we could share our personal “lessons learned” regarding our preferences when it comes to bags, RTW, jewelry etc. that we’ve come to realize along our “journey” (I know its a controversial word :lol:)

I’m sure we’ve all made some expensive mistakes along the way, but ultimately these mistakes made us know more about our deal-breakers, what we like/dislike, things that we look for when considering big H purchases..

I got this idea after recently deciding to let go of my Mini Lindy in Rouge Tomate GHW.. although its a STUNNING bag and I was very fortunate to have bought it from the Hermès website, I triiied and I tried to make it work for me, tried adding twillies, rodeos, tried convincing myself that its a fun “pop” of color but alas! I realized I cannot make a bright red bag work for me. I am just not a red bag person.

So here are my lessons learned:
  • Reds (except burgundies, maroons), blues (unless in exotics), oranges and yellows are not my colors. I can do pinks, purples and greens. Otherwise - neutrals are what my heart desires!
  • I certainly do not have the clutch life. No clutches for me!
  • Stick to sizes 25 and smaller. They are what fits my petite frame the most.
  • I thought I was a diehard GHW fan - but PHW is beautiful too and now I know that hardware isn’t actually a dealbreaker for me if a bag was in a color that I love.
  • I realized I am past the phase where I need to buy something just because it is rare or highly coveted by others. I used to get sucked into the hype but I’m proud to say that I’m not anymore (I hope!:giggle:) for example: Box leather, although it is beautiful, I am certain that I will not be able to maintain smooth leathers.
I’ll think of more to add as we go, would love to hear from everyone!

I really like this idea and while I can’t add much what doesn’t suit me can provide some lessons.

For me i have to be careful which scarves I purchase particularly ones i have bought in the sale. I don’t like to rehome items so I need to consider which colours work best and which ones I will use- i have a few scarves that fall in this situation.

One of my recent lessons is Hermes rewards positive attitudes and if you come in with low expectations you can get the best surprises.

• Open tote bags like Birkins and HACs don't work for me. I need to have an option to be hands free.
  • I can only accept epsom in small bags like Kellys 28 and below (like mini II)
  • No more big bags for daily use.
  • No more silk scarves, losanges, etc. I can't make it work for me anymore lol
Ohh I should add scarves to my list because like you I’ve triiied with several styles/sizes and couldn’t make them work for me either!

• Haha
Reactions: allanrvj
I really like this idea and while I can’t add much what doesn’t suit me can provide some lessons.

For me i have to be careful which scarves I purchase particularly ones i have bought in the sale. I don’t like to rehome items so I need to consider which colours work best and which ones I will use- i have a few scarves that fall in this situation.

One of my recent lessons is Hermes rewards positive attitudes and if you come in with low expectations you can get the best surprises.
Totally agree with your last point! Sort of like serendipity :love:

Similar to you I also used to only consider GHW but now I find Palladium to be very attractive as well. I've realized that as long as the color and hardware combination is right, it will look beautiful no matter what. :smile:
Absolutely! I remember when I was considering a B25 in Rose Pourpre, at the time it only came in PHW and I was bummed about it because I would only stick to GHW, but when the bag eventually arrived and I saw it in person the RP/PHW combination looked perfect! It was just “right”! :loveeyes: