Your H collection = x amount of Birkins?

Chipper

Hermesmerized
O.G.
Dec 31, 2007
Hi all, food for thought! How many Birkins could you buy with the total sum that your current H collection is worth?

Several weeks ago, my sister was in town visiting, thus providing me with another oppportunity to show her my H rainbow. She looked through each item and sang their praises.

But after realizing the grand total of my modest H collection, she asked (puzzled), "Why didn't you just buy a Birkin?"

Me: :amazed: :lecture: :thinking: :shocked: :Push: :idea: (in that order)

Now, granted, it isn't easy to "just buy a Birkin," but I understood her point. I realized, that, in waiting and dreaming for my HG, I had actually been acquiring a mass collection of substitutes all along. I love each and every one of my treasures, but, in retrospect, perhaps I would like to have a Birkin first, instead of five keychains and some leather goods in the meantime.

So, I have to pause, rewind and edit before pressing play. I feel extremely ridiculous, but in short, perhaps this thread is also a gratuitous way for me to ask for hugs from my tPF siblings.:shame:

:hugs:Here is a hug for you! I am resisting temptation to buy things just because, but I do collect some Hermes china and the small leather goods. Hermes is not just about the Birkin, enjoy the other things too!

I swear I was just thinking this same thing the other day. I have 8 GM shawls and was asking myself... would I rather have one more Birkin or the shawls. And I would rather have the shawls as they serve a different purpose. And with my rainbow and scarves added together, I could get another Birkin but again... I think I would feel a longing for these things. So I really like being more well-rounded and having only the two Birkins but other beloved accessories.

I swear I was just thinking this same thing the other day. I have 8 GM shawls and was asking myself... would I rather have one more Birkin or the shawls. And I would rather have the shawls as they serve a different purpose. And with my rainbow and scarves added together, I could get another Birkin but again... I think I would feel a longing for these things. So I really like being more well-rounded and having only the two Birkins but other beloved accessories.

KG, you know, this also reminded me of the "oh, I could have bought another Maltese" topic in the SM Forum. LOL!

So, I applied the same logic with H.

Thanks, all!

I agree, having a well-rounded collection IS important. How did everyone else start off? Did you buy something small first and then work your way up to the Birkin or did you take a leap and splurge for the big momma, adding small (but essential) family members afterwards?

Chocograce, here's another hug!!! To be honest, I sometimes feel the same way as you---but I love my other Hermes items, too!! There is so much more to Hermes than the Birkin!! It shows that you are a true connoisseur!!:yes:

ChocoGrace - Think of all the lovely Hermes items that you will be able to wear with (and in) your future Birkin! :heart:

This way, you could still enjoy Hermes every day too!

KG, you know, this also reminded me of the "oh, I could have bought another Maltese" topic in the SM Forum. LOL!

So, I applied the same logic with H.

Ha, ha, oh, I think of that, too! Maltese and H... my two passions!!

I'm having a brain freeze... do you have a Maltese? I probably know this but am not recalling now for some reason....

EDIT: I just now saw that totally adorable Maltese cutie on your profile page!!

I agree with a balance, but I do look at the price points of some accessories and say to myself, "hmmm, that is 1/4 of a bag" or "that is 1/8 of a bag". I like having some small accessories, but I have definitely slowed down on purchasing those to allow myself more large purchases---bags, not only Birkins, but other H bags.

I think maybe with the rest of my collection I could have maybe a Birkin and a half? :sweatdrop:

I do love my other purchases, though-- on any one day, I can only carry one Birkin, no matter how many I have, but with a Birkin and accessories, I can have it plus a scarf, bracelets, wallet, bebop, hat... I guess it depends on everyone, I know some people are really not scarf people or into jewellery at all, but for me, I am glad my collection is what it is. :smile: I don't think you've made the wrong call at all, so long as you love your items. :heart: