Your first Hermes scarf - do you remember it?

neenabengals

Jan 16, 2008
Hello
I normally hang around on the Chanel forum but am due to start a new job in October and want to buy my first Hermes scarf as a present to myself :yes: Something that I can wear casually but also dress up my work clothes.

I have poured through the reference threads and the overwhelming choice seems to be making me very indecisive.

I am 32 and wear a lot of black and neutral type colours. Perhaps I am thinking too much about this but I am torn as to whether to buy a scarf that has lots of colour or one that goes well with lots of neutrals..... which led me onto thinking about asking you all .....

1) Do you remember buying your first Hermes scarf and how old were you when you bought it?
2) What scarf did you buy? Type of scarf and pattern/ colours? Do you have any modelling pics?
3) Do you still wear it?
4) What factors did you consider when buying it?
5) Is there anything you would have done differently/ anything you regret about the scarf?

I would really appreciate all your comments on this as I really want to be able to buy something I absolutely love but also hope that I will continue to wear it for many years to come.

Many thanks in advance :smile:

Welcome, neenabengals!

I remember my first scarf very well--I was pregnant with my second child, and unlike my first pregnancy, I felt awful all through the second. I needed cheering up, so I decided on some retail therapy, and went into Hermes.

I received the most amazing service, from an SA I have since always trusted with respect to color--she has a great eye. She helped me choose my turquoise Gloire d'Alexandre.

Any regrets? Well, the scarf is beautiful, and the color is very flattering, but now I try to buy scarves with a theme I like, and all the fighting/battle scenes on this scarf are not my favorites. But, I do not think I will ever get rid of the scarf, because it was the first!

Hi yes, I remember my first H scarf, it was in 1986, NYC H store which was then located on 57th St. between 5th and Mad.

I bought the astrology print in a black/gold combo. Yes I still have it, and I still wear it from time to time but rarely as I have others that I enjoy more right now. But I wore it for so long and for a long time it was my only H scarf, for that matter, my only silk scarf as I was not a scarf person.

I choose this one becuase of the colors. I've always ben drawn to black and at that time, this seemed to be the color and pattern that I liked the most from the scarves they had.

Good luck with your new job and on choosing the scarf you love. Enjoy

mine was just a month or so ago. i cannot be precise on the date, only my CC knows for sure and she is NOT talking. i remember seeing ranag post about the coupons indiens, and someone else's stunning noir gris cheval sur mon carre. it motivated me to waddle over to the BH Hermes. Diane, the SA, could not have been more nice. she pulled out a few shawls with great flourish. i was so excited i didn't really even look at them. weird i know. i tried on the coupons indiennes in the brown colorway and that was it for me. then of course a few weeks later, ranag did another reveal on her tohu bohu in bleu gris. i immediately PM'd her and she very generously told me to call hermes in Manhasset, and what do you know another lovely lovely shawl arrived at my doorstep a few days later. now i have to ban myself from looking too closely at Ranag's reveals, because i don't want to appear to be a stalker.... although lets be honest, i might be. i hope that is not creepy.

i am going to be 42 in december and i plan to wear these shawls until they are threadbare. incredibly soft and the colors are amazing in real life. dip your toe in, the water is sooooo fine!

My first H scarf was given to me by an older, very elegant friend of my mother's. I went to her home to see her amazing scarf collection because she knew I was developing an interest in H. She made some tea, slowly opened each box (+30?) and told me the story of how she got each one (her first paycheck, a gift from her husband, etc..). I sat in a huge armchair and sipped tea while she displayed mountains of her beloved H silk. At the end of a wonderful afternoon, she gave me a box she had been hiding and said, "This one if for you!" I was stunned. It is a vintage size, Pani Indian by Kermit Oliver. I wear it tied around my bags all the time, and think of Mrs. H every time I wear it. A great memory of a kind and generous woman.

Hi yes, I remember my first H scarf, it was in 1986, NYC H store which was then located on 57th St. between 5th and Mad.

I bought the astrology print in a black/gold combo. Yes I still have it, and I still wear it from time to time but rarely as I have others that I enjoy more right now. But I wore it for so long and for a long time it was my only H scarf, for that matter, my only silk scarf as I was not a scarf person.

I choose this one becuase of the colors. I've always ben drawn to black and at that time, this seemed to be the color and pattern that I liked the most from the scarves they had.

Good luck with your new job and on choosing the scarf you love. Enjoy

Thats lovely MissMargaux, i'm glad you got such a lot out of your first scarf :smile:

I definitely remember my first H scarf. It was my first trip to Paris in 1991, and I was thrilled to be purchasing such an iconic item from the flagship store. I was far too intimidated to insist on viewing more than a few options, but I ended up with a sailing-themed scarf called "En Course," because it has a charming (to me) combination of cartoonish figures along the edge with a stunningly realistic depiction of a sailing vessel as the main design, and because it has so many fabulous colors! I still love it, and it still looks new. In choosing your first scarf, consider themes that might speak to you (Animals? Sports? A particular city or country? Hermes has done so many scarves that it won't be hard to find a subject that has special meaning to you). Second, consider the colors you like best, especially near your face! And then, start perusing some websites. Hermes.com showcases the currently available designs, but I also suggest Luxury-scarves.com and hsci.hermesscarf.com to see past designs, since many of these will still be available via resellers. And have fun! But beware: As all the members here will warn you, one is not enough!

I acquired my first H scarf in February, after DH's grandmother passed away. His aunt invited me to go through her mother's scarves and take a few home. I wore scarves a lot when I was in my early 20s and had my first job out of college, about 10 years ago, but hadn't worn them often since--still, I figured I might as well take a few, and once I saw her H scarf in its orange box, I knew that one was something really special (and amazingly, none of the few other women in the family wanted it!). It's a late '80s scarf and has some bright turquoise and pink shades I wouldn't have chosen myself, but it does work with a lot of my clothes and I wear it often, even though I've become an addict and bought a number of other H scarves since then.

As for colors, I wear a lot of black and tend to go for scarves in bold colors that have black in them or coordinate with black, and intricate designs that interest me. I am also starting to think more about how scarves will look when they're tied--which is on reason the "Which scarf are you wearing today?" thread is so addictive. :biggrin:

Thank you LBD, that is so kind of you, all the stories I'm reading are so lovely and touching. Mindi, you are right, one is not enough, I've since started wearing more scarves, and I own more now and enjoy them more.

What I love reading is how y'al treasure your scarves, it's not about how many but how y'all treasure each one. Like the lady Anabeni speaks about.

I don't have a lot, but I treasure all of the ones I have and my collection grows slowly. If I see one I truely love, I buy it, they are all beautiful, but I wait for one that I really truely love.

I got my first piece of H just a few months ago in May. It was an early birthday present from one of my closest friends (hey mlisaac!). A lot had been going on with my family at the time (sickness, death, the works). The mail man rang the doorbell, and there he was with this huge box. Hidden in all of the styrofoam popcorn was an orange box, and I almost fainted. I knew right away it was a scarf and I couldn't believe she got it for me. She said she sent it early to lift my spirits, which it definitely did.

The scarf is "KILIM" by Dimitri
R. in a navy colorway. The design is very colorful and I love wearing it. I've always loved scarves, but obviously this one is very special. :heart::smile::yes:

Hello to all of you who have very kindly posted replies. It is very much appreciated and nice to know you are all so welcoming at the Hermes forum :yes:

I love all of the stories that you have posted and thanks to all of you who posted pics - everyone's scarves are VERY beautiful.

It is very obvious that the scarves do hold a lot of memories for all of you and I especially loved Anabeni's story as to how she acquired her scarf.

I do hope to visit Hermes soon to try on lots of scarves and will post my scarf when I do finally decide on one!!

I think I will go through my wardrobe and look at which colours suit near my face to perhaps give me a better idea of what colours I prefer. If I was acting on just emotions, my heart tells me to buy a scarf with black and bright colours but I wonder if my brain will kick in and I will end up buying a more 'sensible scarf'.... who knows??:graucho::

Please keep your stories coming!! Thank you : )

OK well my first piece of Hermes silk was a pochette. I bought it while I was in Paris for the first time, doing a summer program studying French and the fashion industry. I remember feeling so grown up (I was 17) and sophisticated when I walked in to FSH. The SAs were very nice and I picked a classic, equestrian-themed black and white gavroche. I chose this one because a) I used to ride horses so I love equestrian themes and b) I couldn't believe how much money I was spending so I wanted a real classic I would wear forever.
I got my first carre last year for my 21st. The design was Monsieur et Madame in the pink/black/white CW. I picked that one because I thought the design was really clever and young, and I love the colors. It's been all downhill from there.....
ETA: Here's a pic of the M&M!

Attachments

• m and m flat.jpg
    m and m flat.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 196
Yes, my first was in the 1980s. I was in LA on vacation and went to the Beverly Hills H to specifically look for a scarf. They didn't have much of a selection so I got Clips in a red color. As it turned out, the red had a lot of blue in it and looked awful on me. I ended up giving it to my mother and after she died, I sold it on eBay.

My advice is not to settle ... make sure you really love it!

nb, (this was fairly recent), but it was still my first H
scarf. :smile:

1) Do you remember buying your first Hermes scarf and how old were you when you bought it? Yes. It was just a few months ago. ;) Old Enough. *LOL*

2) What scarf did you buy? Type of scarf and pattern/ colours? Do you have any modelling pics? Offrandes D'Un Jour in purple. Yes, see below.

3) Do you still wear it? I haven't worn it yet*. Except to create an action picture.

4) What factors did you consider when buying it? I wanted to make my first Hermes.com experience memorable, it's in PURPLE, and a portion of the proceeds went to Children's Rights and You (CRY)

5) Is there anything you would have done differently/ anything you regret about the scarf? No and No.

dreambox2008scarf1zz6.th.jpg

dreambox2008action1iz9.th.jpg

*purchased to wear with cap and gown for
graduation in October from business school. :smile: