Your first designer handbag?

erinleigh

Oct 7, 2011
What was your first designer handbag (post a pic!)?
How did you decide what to buy?
Did you have your heart set on a designer? Or did you fall in love with a specific brand?

I've got a number of 'gateway' bags (Coach, MbMJ), but I'm wanting to make the plunge and purchase my first big designer bag... but there are so many beautiful bags, I have no idea how to choose!!

I had a couple coach bags in the past and I also have a Rebecca Minkoff MAB, but this spring...I purchased my first louis vuitton bag :smile:. I got the Damier Azur Speedy 35...Now, I'm ready for another one....

My first designer bag was a Coach (still have it with me). 3 years ago, my son drove me all the way to San Marcus Outlet. I was inside D&B and wanted to buy a bag but my son knew better than me at that time. "Mom buy Coach". So we went inside the Coach outlet and I got my first designer bag. But now my taste has changed since my first purchase.

Chanel Ligne Cambon pochette, in the black on rose.

I don't really remember going into it with a bag in mind; I just walked in and the bag was on display in Galeries Lafayette. Back then, I thought anything near to what Bal Cities or something now go for was an asinine price, so I went price (if not size & lifestyle) practical. :P

I knew I wanted a Chanel though. Now, if I was eighteen again, I really don't know what bag I would've chosen.

Coach Hailey, then after a few more Coach, LAMB and Kate Spade my first 'premier' designer bag was an LV Speedy 25. I have no desire to go much above that in price (I would like an LV Totally PM though).

Coach was because lots of people here have them, LAMB and Kate Spade I stumbled on by accident, and LV because it's timeless and iconic (Speedy has been made continuously for 80 years and never goes out of style).

I saw in my aughter's Teen Vogue Keira in Paris with an amazing bag, and started researchin which bag could this be, found it was YSL Rive Gauche and had to have it. before, I did have some high end bags given to me by my aunt, but this was the first I lusted for and decided to start my own quest. Since then, I am very attached to YSL

attachment.php

Attachments

• keira_RG.jpg
    keira_RG.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 16,035
  • keira_ysl.jpg
    keira_ysl.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 8,458
my first was the louis vuitton neverfull pm. my sister-in-law is in love with designer brands and she was the main influence for me converting to designers, specifically louis vuitton.

What was your first designer handbag (post a pic!)?
How did you decide what to buy?
Did you have your heart set on a designer? Or did you fall in love with a specific brand?

It was this LV Chantilly. http://www.malleries.com/louis-vuitton-monogram-chantilly-pm-shoulder-bag-m563-i-31583-s-337.html

I bought it in 1980 at the LV boutique on Avenue Marceau in Paris. It cost less than $150. new. I've seen the same bag selling for $500. vintage, depending on the condition of the bag. I sold mine, some years ago, and the person who bought it still has it and says that it's still in mint condition.

A few years after having bought the above LV, I bought my first Chanel, in Paris, at the rue Cambon boutique. It was the same as this one. http://www.malleries.com/authentic-chanel-limited-ed-paris-model-mini-flap-bag-i-44113-s-2640.html

I was shocked when I saw it on Malleries, as it's very rare. It was only available in France and the above one is the only one I've seen since I bought mine back in the 80s. I'm wondering if that's my actual bag. I sold it to a friend of a friend, back in the 90s, and who lives on the east coast. I mailed it to her. When she bought it she didn't have kids. I'm thinking that when she started her family, she might have decided to sell it as it was a small bag. It's been on Malleries for many months.