Your favourite seasonal bags?

IWantANewBag

Jan 2, 2010
I thought I would ask which bags you favour most in summer and winter. Do you have some bags you only use for a season then pack away or some that work really well seasonally?

For me, my best summer bag is daria fringe hobo. I love that i can wear it hobo style or across body and it really works well with maxi dresses. In fact i was stopped and complimented on my maxi and my bag twice yesterday :yahoo:. We are having a beautiful summer, hot and dry and this means that fringe can be worn outside safely all the time! Don't think i would ever want to wear it in rain though as nappa leather is delicate. i knew that when i bought it though and it buttery softness is part of the appeal. I suspect it will be out of action come october.

I have not yet had a whole winter of owning mulberry bags (i first bought a mulberry at the end of Jan this year). Tbh, I am dreading the prospect of the winter months. I think my most hardy bag must be mitzy oak messenger but I still don't think i could bring myself to step outside into the pouring rain or falling snow with it on. I reckon that winter may, for the most part, see my bags hibernating and i will just wear drew minis and iholder under my coat to avoid the weather. What do the rest of you do?

So tell me of your seasonal bags and what works best for you in winter/summer? :smile: xx

My white soho was defo a summer bag. Because of that 'limitation', which had nothing to do with the tumbled leather (which was bomb proof) and more to do with my perception of its brightness, I rehomed it earlier this year. So I guess for me, the darker coloured bags are winter and lighter are summer. The exception to that is oak, which seems to work all year round. That said, I got an RN Mitzy recently and am loving using it!!!

Good thread IWANB!

I love my black bayswater in the winter - it is bomb proof and suits my mood and my clothes!

For summer my oak somerset is my favourite (but then i have only just got her!) She is casual and smooshy and being pebbled, also pretty bomb proof. And goes great with my tan clogs!

Interesting to see that you use black bays, in winter Poppy. I do not have a black bag at all, that could well be where I am going wrong for winter! I would like to get one but will most likely wait till next year now (I have bought a lot, lately and am on sofa now).

The other problem i have is that my winter wear is not smart work coats etc as am a sahm. My winter look is a massive North Face Artic Parka! I boughht it last winter cos i was fed up of always being freezing. It is suitable for Russian winters and is the warmest think you can imagine. It feels like you have stepped out wearing your duvet! I am often trapsing the streets with buggy in feezing temps, snow and rain. Soi fear that the trade off might be that it is hard/impossible to carry a bag over the top of the huge coat, lol. And I can't hand carry a bag cos of needing to push buggy. Bloody winter! xx

Last edited:
^^^ Maybe get a messenger bag for winter, so it will go over your coat? How about a black antony or black mitzy messenger?

A lot of my bags are multi-seasonal... the ones which arent are my lavendar ledbury which is a summer bag for me, and plum roxy which is more of an autumn/winter bag. The 'new oaks' wont get taken out in the rain, so are less likely to be used inn winter, but my older oaks that already have a patina (annie and antony) will be taken out in all weathers.

I would love a black mitzy, hula. That is a good suggestion. I would prefer a medium hobo though so I could swop straps with my oak mitzy messenger. Mulberry discontinued the medium hobo though sadly. Maybe when I am next in the market to buy one will turn up.

Your lavender Ledbury sounds gorgeous. Perfect and verry pretty for summer.I can also imagine plum roxy looking beautiful with autumnal colours. Like you, I am scared of taking new oak in the rain! Xx

Last edited:
I bet that rouge noir mitzy will also fair well in winter drizzle xx
I hope so, as my other slouchy bag is an Avimore, not too good for the wet!! I had a big oak mitzy hobo last winter and it stood the snow and rain very well. A black one would be even better. I did see a black mitzy hobo (med) at CO last week. So you could try the outlets if you are tempted.... Good at £315. x

Metalic glove! Thanks for the info and you are indeed tempting me! Honestly though i have to stay on the sofa as i have bought so many bags inside this last 6 months. I'm also just sorting out my wedding at the mo, we left it till last minute to plan as we were only having 11 close family members. Then a week or so, dp and i got drunk and decided we also wanted to invite some friends so now i am trying to orgaise something for 25 people and we marry in 3 weeks, lol. There might not be a wedding if dp finds out i've bought another bag, lol xx

Thanks MG, we will book the venue next week so can calm down a bit once that is done. Mulberry Ellie has some beautiful bags. She has recently downsized though and sold some she was not using. I think she had near to 150 at peak though, the biggest collection of anyone on here. I bet she has plenty of black or patent bags to choose from during winter months! xx

another derbyshire lass!!

Elvisfan, I live in the East Cheshire hills, between Buxton and Macclesfield. Derbyshire border is close by! Lovely county, nearly moved there when I was house hunting, but as I work in Manchester the commute seemed arduous, esp A6!!! Originally from London, it was the Derbyshire Hills that made me move up here!