Books & Music Your favorite book quote of the day...

"Though I did not know the place,
I set out to find the land of my dreams,
Having arrived at the land of my dreams,
I found that I did not know the place."

~Kino Travels the Beautiful World~

"That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen."

— Charles Bukowski in Women

"your letters got sadder. your lovers betrayed you. kid, I wrote back, all lovers betray. it didn't help. you said you had a crying bench and it was by a bridge and the bridge was over the river and you sat on the crying bench every night and wept for the lovers who had hurt and forgotten you."

— Charles Bukowski (Love is a Dog From Hell: Poems, 1974-1977)

"When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles."

Dune

"Do not say that social movements excludes political movements. There was never a social movement that was not at the same time political. Only in the order of things in which there will no longer be classes or class antagonism that social evolutions will cease to be political revolutions."

Karl Marx ~The Poverty of Philosophy~

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done;
it is a far,far better rest that I go to than I have ever known"

Sydney Carton,
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

One of my favorites, from my all time favorite book.

"He suddenly recalled from Plato's Symposium: People were hermaphrodites until God split then in two, and now all the halves wander the world over seeking one another. Love is the longing for the half of ourselves we have lost."

— Milan Kundera (The Unbearable Lightness of Being)

From Lord of the Rings - it never fails to give me goosebumps:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Just the 1st line is awesomeness - I guess that's my favorite quote of all time really.

Not especially enthralling, but poignant to me:

From Black Beauty, when he is in the middle of a terrible time.

"He did not rise; he made one slight effort to do so, and then there was a groan. I could have groaned, too, for I was suffering intense pain both from my foot and knees; but horses are used to bear their pain in silence. I uttered no sound.

One more heavy groan from Smith; but though he now lay in the full moonlight I could see no motion. I could do nothing for him nor myself, but, oh! how I listened for the sound of horse, or wheels, or footsteps! The road was not much frequented, and at this time of the night we might stay for hours before help came to us. I stood watching and listening.

This part especially: It was a calm, sweet April night; there were no sounds but a few low notes of a nightingale, and nothing moved but the white clouds near the moon and a brown owl that flitted over the hedge. It made me think of the summer nights long ago, when I used to lie beside my mother in the green pleasant meadow at Farmer Grey's.

This encompasses a lot for me: He is doing the very best he can, as he has been brought up to do. Even when things are bad he feels first, compassion and then nostalgia... about the time in his childhood when he was carefree. The nights are still the same but his situation has changed drastically and he is still doing the best he can.