Your city's style stereotypes

Well, I've lived here for over 8 years and work in midtown; I have lived on the Upper West Side as well as in both the East Village and West Village. And I do see (and wear) a lot of black everywhere.

That said, I could see how it might be different among the UES posh set.

Ash

You're probably right. I don't live in New York. I only visit.

I really don't see that much black. I see it in Soho because it's "trendy" right now, I see it at Barneys, but not more than elsewhere, really. But I do see a lot of trends gone wrong (likes multiple trends that really don't go well with one another) on the tourists and the people who try really hard to be fashionable.

For Union Square, I see a lot of Mary Kate/Nicole Ritchie Rachel Zoe-inspired wannabes.

Seriously, isn't that the uniform of every college kid across the country? That actually sounds like my high school, when my sister was there.... It's really weird that my high school is on par or even more advanced, stylewise, than the average college kid. Louis Vuitton, Juicy Couture, Uggs, designer jeans of various sorts ... those were all staples in my high school five years ago!

That is so true! I'm a college student myself and everyone dresses poorly in the winter. It's very heartbreaking to see pretty girls dress in baggy sweat pants tuck into their uggs and thier northface jackets.

You're probably right. I don't live in New York. I only visit.

I really don't see that much black. I see it in Soho because it's "trendy" right now, I see it at Barneys, but not more than elsewhere, really. But I do see a lot of trends gone wrong (likes multiple trends that really don't go well with one another) on the tourists and the people who try really hard to be fashionable.

For Union Square, I see a lot of Mary Kate/Nicole Ritchie Rachel Zoe-inspired wannabes.

Also in Union Square there alot of "Scene" people. Scene kids live in tight jeans,stripped shirts,Band shirts, polka dots,fish nets,crazy socks. The girls use an excess of black makeup & mascara,and the boys wear girl pants. When im in Union I rarely see any mary kate wanna be's,thats usually in prince st..

Vancouver is the west coast casual capital. Everyone wears Goretex jackets like that's the only type of jacket you can buy here. It's a rarity to see someone wearing designer clothes, nice purses or heels higher than 2 inches. The down side is that there isn't much of a selection of high end clothes and bags in town, which is why I'm always buying online, but the up side is that I'm always the best dressed.

You forgot about the women runing around in Lulu yoga clothes and puffy vests when it gets "cold"

Was just downtown today so everything is fresh in my mind

Bloor St. This is Toronto's equivalent of 5th Avenue. Lot's of designer bags (mostly real), Chanel sunglasses, Juicy Couture, TNA, Lululemon, Burberry scarves.. etc. Most people are seen carrying LV and Holt Renfrew shopping bags.

Yorkdale mall: Typical teenage style.. American Eagle, Hollister, A&F, more TNA.. most people shop at Aritzia.

Queen St: Cool cats with wacky outfits... rockers, emos, indies, whatever they refer to themselves these days. They're slowly dying down as more chains are opening up stores here (Zara, H&M, American Apparel, Guess, etc.)

Purely from observation. I do not intend to offend anyone, as I have friends/know people that may fall into some categories.

Los Angeles (and surrounding areas): Anything goes

Scenesters: "takes a lot of money to look cheap" - very eclectic, vintage, ghetto-fab, w/ "key" pieces (designer bag, chanel earrings or necklace, over-the-knee boots, flashy hoodies, fly sneakers, lots of gold, Louboutin's, etc)

Bros (and bro-hoes): I.E. Travis Barker - black bandana on head, spiky hair, form fitting black shirt, flashy belt buckle, may be wearing an armband, baggy jeans, clean sneakers, asian inspired sleeves, etc
Girls - big (fake) boobs, blond hair (even if you aren't caucasion) w/ dark streaks, Frankie B's or any other really low jeans, lots of layers (w/ the bra showing), lots of eyemakeup w/ pale lips, etc.

Label whores: no explanation needed. Just blatant usage of brands.

Rachel Zoe clones: If it's in a magazine, they are rockin it. Over accessorized.

Rockabilly: Dark hair (or really blond or red), red lips, black eyeliner, perfect hair, retro fashion, cuffed jeans, plaid shirts, mul. tattoos or peircings, pompadours, sideburns, etc.

There are so many styles out there. I love fashion and individuality!

^
That is too funny. Don't forget the "I am a rich beach bum" which is shorts 365 days per year, flip flops, baseball cap, and Papas and Beer t-shirt.

Fun thread! Someone please do Los Angeles (my hometown)...

what part of los angeles?:lol:

lets see, the west side:
  • lots and lots of "8 x 10's" and PA's driving around in jeep convertibles with their black backwards baseball caps on.
  • lots of silver haired old rich guys driving around in convertible maserati's sitting next to a blonde with balloon lips and brand new bolt-on cans
  • lots of "sensitive pony-tailed music business groovy guys" in BMWs and Porsches

Athens, Georgia: a college town.

during the winter, girls live in designer skinny jeans or tights tucked into knee-high flat boots (gotta be flat for walking around a GIANT campus) or regular designer jeans and sperrys or ballet flats, cable knit sweaters of all sorts (cotton, wool, cashmere, almost always ralph lauren), oversized pearl earrings, those deplorable northface jackets, and a herve chapelier or longchamp tote for books.

in the summer, it's all linen skirts and dresses. NO shorts, NO pants. rainbow flipflops. ralph lauren skinny polos in every color of the rainbow.

we are the world capitol of preppy.

For Chicago, you need to add the dog as the ultimate fashion accessory. I see pooches in carriages and with Louis Vuitton collars downtown. The girls are plainly dressed from Brooks Brothers with the cashmere and always with a Louis Vuitton speedy. They are LVed out in Oak Brook.