your choice of fur

I don't own any fur, so I'm not speaking from experience, but I've heard Marni does some pretty good furs (and they're kind of cool and young too). Supposedly, Consuelo (Marni's designer) is married to the owner of Italy's largest fur supply company, that actually supplies all the major houses (including Fendi).

I gotta say... Fendi fur does have amazing quality for a fashion house that is not concentrated on the fur. The problem with a fashion house fur is that it IS for fashion. If you don't mind your fur being OUT of fashion in a few years then yeah, why not.

Between j Mendel and dennis basso, I actually prefer dennis basso. Personally I think dennis basso has slimer cuts then j Mendel. A lot of dennis bassos' pieces are geared towards the youndet generation. Their signature pattern and bell sleeves, and not to mention their staple princess cut bargazin is honestly fur best quality I have ever seen. And you are talking to a fur-crazed woman LOL. (no offense to anyone!) both have gray quality but a bargazin on Mendel is just not as slimming as basso would have done it. It is weird but that's the way it is to me. So if you want something that makes you look a tad skinniet, basso is the way to go man.

Thanks for this XX, always easier to make an informed decision when someone really knows their stuff......will check out Dennis Basso

Interesting to hear that Fendi gets their fur from others, I thought they have their own source?
BTW is the Italian supplier mentioned called Coop Pelliciai Ruitini?

I will probably go with Fendi still because one can get them at outlet prices especially during sale - Wouldn't that be great if J Mendel could do the same?:idea:

Afraid being attacked by senseless fur protestors on the street is the main reason I haven't purchased any fur pieces - If they really want to stop animal cruelty they should try to stop people from eating meat!:P

So you ladies would rate J Mendel over Fendi for quality and design then?

XX, the thought of someone "doing something to you (or your fur) in front of your son (or for that matter without him) makes me furious- that is so horrible You should be able to wear your beautiful furs whenever you want !!!!!!! Chessmont, agree totally. Vanilla Sky, I live in NYC (like a lot of ladies that responded) and while I stay on the other side of the street when the crazies are picketing Dennis Basso, they are cordoned off by police. . .I think they know that there would be serious repercussions if they tried to assault or menace any bystander. Someone mentioned resale, and I got a very nice sheared fur Christian Dior via that route, but the best ones that I have are some minks from my mom that are thirty years old (I know because I picked them out when I was 11 in the fur district with stepfather. Agree with India re where to buy classic fur, with the only change being I saw a beautiful chinchilla for 4K USD about a two years ago - again in the fur district - and that was the price offered to me as I walked in (at that time 4K could also buy a shearling at Fendi). I seriously contemplated buying and bringing to a furrier to have restyled, but it made me look like a chipmunk (I'm somewhat chunky). Dennis basso does have sample sales as does Mendel (subscribe to Madisonavenuespy.com or soiffer haskins.com or racked.com should bring prior sales up). Racked.com is how I found out about the H sample sale, although the lines have been too daunting for me to go :smile:

Hermes 40, its also possible Mendel goes on sale. Bergdorf's carries them (so I assume NM does too), and all the boutiques are on sale on Madison -- its like a desert in this economy.

fendi (it started as a furrier after all albeit the quality is not there anymore , albeit one MUST differenciate between their fashioon range>(24 carat gold dipped fur) and theri classic fur line ) j,mendel and basso but i also love the old revillion pieces or my all time favorite chado ralph rucci!
for evening capes etc nothing beats dior foururre or old valentino

also other houses like slupinski (in st.moritz) or liska in vienna have niece pieces

this beeing said while h is not a direct fur house they do have some niece pieces from time to time (like the broadtail military coat few seasons back or the croc trenchcoats with sable trim - deeevineee) that are outstanding and of superior quality

you can have hit or misses everywhere but as long as i love the style and the quality i will buy regardless of label

Last edited:
I can never get my fat sausage arms into J. Mendel...wish I could. Fendi can fit but sometimes too crazy looking for me. Loads of people wear fur in my part of Alaska so I never felt threatened. I'm a sheared mink and swakara girl...goes really well with the H ;)

As we have such great fur aficionados on here would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the make of this one on Miroslava? It would be perfect for me, just my style. H_addict suggested J Mendel

attachment.php

Just curious... If you were to choose fur (please don't be mad if you are a PETA member) would you choose from Hermes, Fendi or J.Mendel and why?
I saw an incredibly luxurious chinchilla coat at Fendi in Florence this month at 42000 euro - Incredible piece but the thought of how many cute chinchillas went into making that coat and the pricce were... a bit too much.:P

i would def. go for a brand that is known to specialize or have a lot of experience in fur - i.e. j. mendel/dennis basso/michael kors/fendi. i just bought a michael kors sheared mink and i *love* it! i'd be wary of paying full price ATM, there are a lot of good deals available now on fur, SF neiman marcus had 50% off everything over the holidays!

love this!!! looks more like a dennis basso to me, i find the j. mendel styles tend to be more conservative, esp. in the lighter furs.

As we have such great fur aficionados on here would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the make of this one on Miroslava? It would be perfect for me, just my style. H_addict suggested J Mendel

attachment.php