Your car vs. LV

MrsVuitton

Aug 19, 2008
My friend always says when she sees someone get into a car made out of duct-tape with an LV she thinks it's fake automatically but I think people can misplace their money and spend it on 1. anything they want or 2. not make the right choices on where to spend it.

Most of the time, you just see someone in the mall but does it honestly lose it's credibility when you are dressed to the hills and drive a trainwreck?

P.s. I don't drive a trainwreck. ;^)

I would have to agree somewhat with your friend. I understand having nice things but at least have a decent enough car to get around in before you go blowing your cash on LV.

That's just what I think though. :lecture:

i think people are willing to spend money on an LV before a car. it really just depends on the person, some people just aren't "car people." i grew up around cars so i always took pride in what i drove. i just bought my new car (YAYYY :yahoo:) and wouldn't trade it just to have nice LVs. i have my nice car and i save up to have my nice bags :smile: then i get the best of both worlds.

i think people are willing to spend money on an LV before a car. it really just depends on the person, some people just aren't "car people." i grew up around cars so i always took pride in what i drove. i just bought my new car (YAYYY :yahoo:) and wouldn't trade it just to have nice LVs. i have my nice car and i save up to have my nice bags :smile: then i get the best of both worlds.

I agree, I'm exactly the same!

I like nice cars too but I really don't see myself ever spending $100,000 for an SL500 even though I love them. I'd be happy driving a $25,000 car because they are really not that important to me. My dad, however, will spend $$$ on cars and wear Wal-Mart clothes.

I wouldn't assume someone's bag is fake because they don't drive a fancy car. Maybe they don't prioritize the same way I do but I still don't think that means their prioritizing is wrong.

I don't think it necessarily means the bag is fake because there are a LOT of people out there who would sooner buy a designer bag than get nice clothes or buy what they actually NEED. My bf told me about how Burberry is having trouble because a lot of people who don't make much money at all are all saving all their money just so they can buy Burberry bags, and thus it's lowering the brand image.

This is an interesting question that I always think about lol. For me, I like to have the all around luxury, including the car and clothes. If I don't have the car first, than I personally will feel out of place in society. For example, if I were to drive a beat up car and dress in $$$ clothes, I mean there is absolutely no balance there.

Last edited:
LOL, I would be that kind of person to be honest! Louis Vuitton (and maybe Christian Louboutin in the near future) are the only things I will pay a lot for! I buy my clothes and shoes etc on sale in cheap stores (H&M, etc), and I really don't care about cars either, I do like Mini Coopers but I would never pay 20,000 euros for a car, so a car made out of duct tape would be just fine hehehe

I'm not terribly into cars either, a more reliable car is more important to me. And my DH is a student currently. I've been driving economy cars since I was in college and I have a nice one of those at the moment and probably will continue to until he gets out of school.

Interesting point. An LV bag costs about £650. A "nice" car would set you back at least £20,000 - so - yes I can see someone spending all their pocket money on a bag and can't afford a nice car. Some of the folks on here look too young to drive. I know a number of guys who drives a porsche, wears designer gear, but lives in a small one bed apartment or rents a room in a shared house. Its certainly where you choose to spend your money.

I agree. I drive an average car. But I own over 10 LVs and a couple of Chanels, etc. I also happen to be an attorney and make a good living. I don't think buying an expensive car is worth the money (unless you have tons to throw around) because as soon as you drive off the lot, it has depreciated 40%.

Its all a matter of perference. Designer bags are my passion and I like to spend my money on bags. They will be with me for many years to come...whereas a car, no matter how luxurious, will usually be changed after a few years.

But on the other hand, I can understand how some people may automatically assume that the purse is fake because the car is run-down. If your car is that run-down, why would you spend money on a purse and not buy a car in better condition right?

I like nice cars too but I really don't see myself ever spending $100,000 for an SL500 even though I love them. I'd be happy driving a $25,000 car because they are really not that important to me. My dad, however, will spend $$$ on cars and wear Wal-Mart clothes.

I wouldn't assume someone's bag is fake because they don't drive a fancy car. Maybe they don't prioritize the same way I do but I still don't think that means their prioritizing is wrong.