Your advice? Expandable Ligne or Jumbo Classic Flap

photomj

Rocker Chic
O.G.
Aug 30, 2007
Hi Ladies -

I am venturing into Chanel territory. I can't stop obsessing about them! I first fell in love with the Black Expandable Ligne but figure that if I'm going to spend $2,600+ on a bag it should be something more classic and timeless? That's why I'm thinking the Black Caviar Jumbo Classic Flap?

If you could only buy one of those bags, which would it be? (I guess we all know that saying we will only buy the one bag is kind of ridiculous, but for now, that has to be my argument!)

I'm 5'10 so small bags look ridiculous on me. I'm a photographer so I stay at home during the week and dress pretty casually when I go out (jeans, boots, etc.) Both purses look fabulous with jeans but if I had to dress up I'm thinking the Jumbo classic would make the transition better.

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

PS - I do love some of the totes but I think for strap drop the Expandable Ligne and Jumbo Flap are the most comfortable for me to wear.

Get the jumbo, hands down! I had a black expandable but I sold it so I could get the white jumbo classic flap and the black patent classic flap. I have no regrets whatsoever. :yes:

Don't get me wrong, I still love the expandable ligne, but between the two I'll always pick the classic jumbo over just about any Chanel bag.

Hi Photomj :smile:

Out of the 2, I'd go for the Black Jumbo Flap (but you should know that I'm biased as I own one) :

1. it's timeless;
2. the size would probably fit most of your daily essentials unless you carry round the kitchen sink too :biggrin: (my wallet, phone, house & car keys, office tags go in with room left); and
3. with your height
- the straps would definitely be comfy (I'm short so have to shorten mine)
- the bag looks fab with jeans and equally fab dressed up.

I'd also advise getting it in caviar as opposed to lambskin for its durability.

I considered getting the Expandable Ligne mysef but I thought the shape and chain length didn't work for me mainly because of my height :sad:

Have fun shopping and let us know what you decide! :smile:

for your first chanel it ahs to be the classic flap, in this cos the jumbo.

you will love it cos it holds tons compare to the medium flap, 2nd you can wear it from day to night, 3rd you can wear it across your body as messenger style.

with your height you'll probably can get away without adjusting the chain

I feel your pain. I was in your same situation and I went more toward the classic look, IMO, if you are going to drop the $$$ it better be something you will love for some time to come. The classics are timeless, but you need to go with what you love and what suits you the most.

I have and love both bags (Expandable Flap & Jumbo Classic)! But if I had to choose one, I would definitely choose the Jumbo Classic Flap. I get so much more use out of this one, plus it looks more chic because of its cleaner lines and longer chain.

-Stephanie

As a flap lover who has both, I'd go for the Jumbo!! :smile: :heart: I have several Jumbo flaps and one Expandable flap in dark brown, and IMO, the Jumbo flap transitions better from casual to dressy (if you had an occasion to dress up), but can be the perfect casual bag because of its size, whereas the Expandable flap to me is strictly casual. :smile:

Also, the Jumbo flap holds its shape perfectly, whereas the Expandable flap tends to cave in a bit by the clasp... not a big deal, but it's still something to consider. :smile: If I were you, I'd go and try both on in the store wearing what you normally wear to see how you feel with each bag... and get the one that makes you weak in the knees hehe. :P Good luck deciding!! :tup:

Thanks so much ladies! They all make me weak in the knees!

I definately was drawn to the expandable one first but kept thinking about the "investment" of the bag and how it has to work many ways!

My NM is having a preview sale on Sunday but I hear it is mostly older bags and nothing current and NO classics! Sigh.

You are all right...I am leaning towards the jumbo classic. It looked great with my jeans!

Thanks again for all your thoughts. I appreciate them!