Your 2017 wardrobe resolutions?

Over the past few months I have been really thinking before I make a purchase and I have been spending more on items but buying less. I cleaned out my closet over the holidays and ended up with 8 garbage bags full of clothes I don't wear (now all donated), including lots with the tags still on. Considering I last did this less than 2 years ago it was pretty shocking! I am trying to only buy items that are higher quality, that will last, and that are not fast fashion. I really want to bring this into the New Year as I start to build my Spring/Summer wardrobe.

Reactions: celine666666
My goals are to only add things to my closet that fit well, that are made with high quality materials, and different from anything else I already own. Care less about designer brand name & care more about fit and materials. Separately I'm going to try to recycle clothes as much as possible in 2017. I've gotten into a good groove finding great stuff at consignment / Buffalo Exchange type places while selling or trading in my good condition / don't wear for whatever reason pieces but I'm not brave enough to say that I'm going for a "net zero shopping year" or anything. Maybe next year depending on how well it goes!

@mellecyn I had to laugh at the 90s revival comments. I find it so funny that I'm now old enough to remember some of the trends coming back. I did not buy a nano bag last year but I sure did have a tiny backpack when I was young :lol:

Reactions: keodi and MinaAnais
Like some other posters, I cleaned out my closet (including my coat closet) and ended up donating 14 bags of clothes and shoes to Goodwill. It was such a relief and I felt like a huge weight has been lifted off me. I reorganized my entire closet and replaced those awful white hangers with wooden ones. Now I feel calmer and happier every time I look at my wardrobe. For 2017, I will focus more on quality over quantity, buying pieces that are versatile, fit well, classy and make me happy!

Since I work fulltime from now on, i'd like to invest in a few designer items. In the past years my focus was clearly on (Chanel) bags. Dreaming of Hermes Cashmere Shawls, Burberry cape, Chanel brooches and shoes, maybe a Kelly belt etc. I'd like to look put more together everyday. Already lost 7kg/15lbs last year, so the clothes also will look nicer on me :smile:

Since I work fulltime from now on, i'd like to invest in a few designer items. In the past years my focus was clearly on (Chanel) bags. Dreaming of Hermes Cashmere Shawls, Burberry cape, Chanel brooches and shoes, maybe a Kelly belt etc. I'd like to look put more together everyday. Already lost 7kg/15lbs last year, so the clothes also will look nicer on me :smile:
Well done!! Whenever I look at clothes I also remind myself it wouldn't hurt to work out first! Just to have anything looking way better on s better body.
But I see what you mean with looking put together. A few quality items are enough, in fact, focusing on a good coat, good shoes does a massive difference already.

- Stick to my budget
- Only buy things that are on my list
- Continue buying the following: high quality / made in EU or USA / fabric; silk, cotton or wool / good fit or bring in for alteration / ethical made
Good simple resolutions, making mine now. What is your list looking like? I did not stick to mine exactly last year, but it was good to have it as guidance. It kept in control some of the more ridiculous items I wanted...

Reactions: papertiger
Good simple resolutions, making mine now. What is your list looking like? I did not stick to mine exactly last year, but it was good to have it as guidance. It kept in control some of the more ridiculous items I wanted...
I'm looking for a new Hermes wallet in Barenia leather.. a pair of Acne jeans , APC sneakers and skirt , silk top , Hermes bracelet and I have one more Hermes bag I'd love to have, but I don't know if I want to buy it this year as I've just bought a bag last year ..

Another year - here we go again!
1. Wearing what's in my giant closet now instead of saving it for 'best'
2. Diet a bit so the stuff I have now fits better
3. Stop buying multiples (this is a hard one, especially for black tops!)[/QUOTE]

Two of these things should be goals for me too! I have a terrible habit of saving my nicer clothes for "some other time," assuming the day ahead isn't anything special or worthy of my good stuff. I also buy multiples of black leggings, black t-shirts, and black cardigans! It's like I'm afraid that suddenly all of the black clothing items in the world are going to disappear and I feel the need to stock up now! Why? I would love to understand the psychology behind both of these tendencies! Lol.

I'm looking for a new Hermes wallet in Barenia leather.. a pair of Acne jeans , APC sneakers and skirt , silk top , Hermes bracelet and I have one more Hermes bag I'd love to have, but I don't know if I want to buy it this year as I've just bought a bag last year ..
I also have a list and I can recommend that to everyone, it really helps keeping focus and not making decisions in the heat of the moment.
A list is also made (calmly at home) based on what is missing from my wardrobe, and what I have seen in shops, trend wise. So I can combine both what s truly missing -building on the foundation- and what's trendy...I allow myself a couple of hot trends items every season. And if I pick on a trend early enough I can resell the item when it's still in high demand...
But I went shopping last night and I felt so bad seeing racks and racks of clothes on sale....going nowhere...
Myrkur, I have my eyes on a APC handbag, also because they are minimalists and timeless (made in Spain/) what's your experience with that brand?

Reactions: LVk8
I also buy multiples of black leggings, black t-shirts, and black cardigans! It's like I'm afraid that suddenly all of the black clothing items in the world are going to disappear and I feel the need to stock up now!

This made me laugh. I do the same thing!

My 2017 wardrobe resolutions:
1. Define my style and edit, edit, edit. I feel overwhelmed when I get dressed in the morning because I haven't taken time to inventory what really works for my lifestyle and body. I need to take an afternoon where I go through everything I own, try different combinations/looks, photograph what works, and create a running list/gallery of go-to looks.
2. On that note, dress to feel like the best possible me. So often I throw on what is comfortable or easy, but don't feel like I'm putting my best possible self out to the world.
3. Gain access to approximately one-third of my wardrobe by losing ~8 lbs :smile:
4. Make a list and stick to it. No more random TJMaxx visits and purchases due to boredom. After I've determined my wardrobe holes, research the items I'd like and wait to purchase when they're on sale.

Love this thread!

1. Clear out the closet and declutter

2. Take more effort in dressing up to look put together daily

3. Make a stylebook to keep track of my wardrobe and cost per wear

4. Refine my signature style. For me this is mainly well-tailored sheath dresses and pencil skirts for work

5. Investing in good jewellery and wearing them

6. Fill the gap in my shoe wardrobe for work with quality low heeled shoes that are low key (and don't scream designer)