You think you've already had your share of idiot ebayer buyers and then along comes..

Fred&Ginger

Mar 17, 2007
....another one.

I was selling a Chloe bag on ebay, which was bid upon within my selling range and the buyer won the bag.

Then the questions started, about colour, authenticity, returns if fake etc etc etc

I remained patient and explained my terms and re-iterated how she should check authenticity etc

She then accused me of being rude, which again I calmly replied that no I wasn't being rude just explaining the facts, that she should have checked all this out prior to bidding.

And she accuses me of being rude when her emails state 'Please can you confirm that this bag is genuine and will accept return if proven otherwise as I work in Selfridges and can tell?'

Then a query over the handles it didn't look the same as other Chloe bays. I sent her pictures of online store pictures to compare and even offered to send her additional clearer pictures.

Today I get this email:

Hi there,
I don't feel that better pictures will help. Please take a look on http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/30465 and zoom in on the bag - they look completely different. I have reported this to Ebay as I feel this is a counterfeit product.
I do not want to risk this being a fake for the money - I hope you understand...

Of course I understand that she obviously doesn't work in the handbag section of Selfridges as the bag in the link is a Chloe patent bay hobo, and my bag is a Chloe patent bay.

Where do these people come from? Obviously they don't read the ebay rules and guidance? Someone give me strength!!

I have responded and advised that of course I will be reporting her as a timewasting non paying bidder!!

What happens if she has reported me. What action does ebay take, so that I can be prepared, get evidence if needed etc...:confused1:

Tell her she obviously doesn't work in Selfridges or can get the bag at lower price (staff discount). She sounds like she's having buyers remorse which is common on ebay and usually PP will side with the seller... and of course you'd give her an unpaid item strike... tell her that see what she has to say.

Are you sure this situation isn't still salvageable, with the buyer?

Whether she works in Selfridges, or was just saying that to try to protect herself (as she is genuinely terrified of receiving a fake), does it really matter?

You're selling an authentic bag and she wants to buy an authentic bag, so it seems ridiculous to just give up on trying to reassure her of that fact.

Try to put yourself in the buyer's shoes - imagine you know very little about Chloe, but that you know eBay's reputation, all too well.

In other words, it is not you, personally, that she is questioning (as she doesn't know you from Eve); it is eBay sellers, in general. :yes:

If I were you, I'd tell her that the bag on NAP is the hobo version and that's why the handles, inevitably, look different and that I'd thought about the situation and can completely empathise with her fear of buying a fake and that I was sorry if I sounded rude, or abrupt, but that I'd realised that I'd, mistakenly, taken her legitimate doubts about eBay sellers personally, which was wrong.

I'd promise her, wholeheartedly, that the bag was authentic (and tell her where I'd bought it from) and that, in the highly unlikely/impossible situation that it was found to be fake, she could return it for a 100% refund, including shipping both ways. :yes:

If she then wanted to continue with the sale, I'd slap a big, irremovable without cutting, tag (or the equivalent) on it and state; 'Returns only accepted while this tag remains attached.' (but then, I'd do that with anything designer I sold on eBay, that has ever been faked).

Last edited:
I think in this situation I wouldn't want to sell to her since she clearly didn't authenticate prior to bidding and sounds like she's gonna be a MAJOR PITA. However, Chloehandbags is always much more patient and seemingly kinder than me. I just would want to cut my losses instead of shipping her a bag she's gonna pick to pieces and then have to pay to ship it back and wonder what she's going to do next.

But, that's just me.

HI Chloehandbags!!! :tender: (no offense of course)

^ No offence taken, imon! :flowers:

You may well be right about this buyer, but I just think back to the time when I was absolutely clueless about all this stuff and wonder how many goofs I might have made, had I been trying to buy a designer bag on eBay! :sweatdrop:

Are you sure this situation isn't still salvageable, with the buyer?

Whether she works in Selfridges, or was just saying that to try to protect herself (as she is genuinely terrified of receiving a fake), does it really matter?

You're selling an authentic bag and she wants to buy an authentic bag, so it seems ridiculous to just give up on trying to reassure her of that fact.

Try to put yourself in the buyer's shoes - imagine you know very little about Chloe, but that you know eBay's reputation, all too well.

In other words, it is not you, personally, that she is questioning (as she doesn't know you from Eve); it is eBay sellers, in general. :yes:

If I were you, I'd tell her that the bag on NAP is the hobo version and that's why the handles, inevitably, look different and that I'd thought about the situation and can completely empathise with her fear of buying a fake and that I was sorry if I sounded rude, or abrupt, but that I'd realised that I'd, mistakenly, taken her legitimate doubts about eBay sellers personally, which was wrong.

I'd promise her, wholeheartedly, that the bag was authentic (and tell her where I'd bought it from) and that, in the highly unlikely/impossible situation that it was found to be fake, she could return it for a 100% refund, including shipping both ways. :yes:

If she then wanted to continue with the sale, I'd slap a big, irremovable without cutting, tag (or the equivalent) on it and state; 'Returns only accepted while this tag remains attached.' (but then, I'd do that with anything designer I sold on eBay, that has ever been faked).

Honestly I would bend over backwards to answer authenticity questions BEFORE a bid. However, don't win an auction and then start with the authenticity questions. I do not accept returns, period. Authenticity is not an issue since I buy all my bags at a store and then occasionally sell ones I have carried. I just feel if I state I will accept a bag back then that opens me up to scammers sending me back a fake bag.

If you are not sure the bag I am sending you is authentic from the pics, don't bid. I realize some people show pics of authentic bag and then switch, but honestly if a seller did that does a buyer REALLY think they will agree to take the bag back up front?

Thanks everyone for your support.

I have tried to be helpful and supportive, when a lot of the time I really wanted to tell her how irritating she was. Obviously chloehandbags your much more patient than me, and I admire you for that, but I think I've reached the stage of 'bring it on', I'm past caring, and don't want her to have the bag, ever!!

I have a 100% feedback on a score of 1200 with dozens of successful sales of designer bags, with lots of positive feedback. I asked her to check this out, but she didn't. I've sent her comparison pictures and links to sites. I've sent this forums webpage and details of what she should do. I've sent her an offer of additional pictures.

I got the feeling from the start that this sale wasn't going to happen. Over time you just know....don't you?

She emailed again last night, and told me she's reported me 'and we will wait and see'.

I've refrained from emailing back, because I would be rude and tell her what I think of her, but I'd be just operating on her level.

I'm confident I can fight this if ebay decides to do anything. And come thursday I'll be reporting her as a non-paying bidder regardless.

Do they suspend your whole ebay account over an allegation? It seems a bit harsh if they do.

You might be better to withdraw mutually from this sale as she sounds like she has an early case of buyers remorse.
She quite possibly does work in Chloe selfridges as they dont have a clue about authenticity there. I once went in and asked them how they know a bag is authentic and they showed me that little card you get inside and thats all the proof they need....:shame:

^^I second that advice. It is not worth the headache and stress to fight it, bc in the end, she will probably find some other reason not to pay, or worse, send it back to you...and in what condition?

Sometimes you rant, you take a deep breath and cave, and then move on. The only way to survive ebay anymore...You'll live longer:smile:

Good luck!

I agree with the 2 above.....I will email the buyer and let them know if they don't want to complete the sale thats fine....and move on....saves and disputes, negative FB threats etc.
Deep breath and move on.....

^^I second that advice. It is not worth the headache and stress to fight it, bc in the end, she will probably find some other reason not to pay, or worse, send it back to you...and in what condition?

Sometimes you rant, you take a deep breath and cave, and then move on. The only way to survive ebay anymore...You'll live longer:smile:

Good luck!

I feel that even if you salvaged the sale, she is going to do something hinky anyway.
She is over her head, cut her loose & tell her you won't give her a non-payer strike if she removes her complaint about fake.
Get rid of her any way you possibly can.
Don't forget to block her from future auctions!
Sorry for your trouble!

She is a non paying bidder with no evidence of being sold a fake because she does not even have the bag yet!! What a time waster. I know I have said this 100 times but I seriously do not understand why people bid and do not pay!! It is terrible!!

I agree with other posters that a mutual withdrawl is best. Otherwise.... I would tell her to go right ahead and report you, she will back away like a coward i bet....