Travel You need a PASSPORT for a U.S. Territory now???

You don't need a US passport to get into a US territory in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, St Croix, St John or St Thomas). BUT, the new law that took effect on Jan 23, 2007 says it requires you to have a passport to get back into the US when you return. I would go with what the airline says... You don't want to get to the airport and have them turn you away!!

You don't need a US passport to get into a US territory in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, St Croix, St John or St Thomas). BUT, the new law that took effect on Jan 23, 2007 says it requires you to have a passport to get back into the US when you return. I would go with what the airline says... You don't want to get to the airport and have them turn you away!!

A US citizen does not need a passport to get back into the States - it would be illegal to deny a citizen entry into their own country. You would probably have to spend a decent amount of time in the airport sorting things out, but they would eventually have to let you in. What can happen, however, is that you may be denied access from leaving the states in the first place, if your passport is about to recently expire or you just don't have one.

Dealing with passports may be frustrating, but just try getting a visa for another country!

Well, I'm SOL if I need a passport...I don't have one (don't travel much!) so I won't be able to get one in 6 weeks.

According to the travel.gov website:
Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

Puerto Rico is a US territory. So I'm hoping my driver's license and birth certificate will be enough...:sweatdrop:

I think I got mine within 2 or 2.5 weeks when I had to have mine expedited :smile: I would do it just for piece of mind - and hey, if you ever do wanna go anywhere internatinoal, you'll already have your passport! ;)

I didn't have mine expedited and it took less than 2 weeks to get it - this was in September when they said it was going to take 14! If you don't urgently need it, just apply without paying the additional fee and you should get it before 6 weeks. If not, you don't need it anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I think I got mine within 2 or 2.5 weeks when I had to have mine expedited :smile: I would do it just for piece of mind - and hey, if you ever do wanna go anywhere internatinoal, you'll already have your passport! ;)

I also had to do this when I got mine. It cost more of course but it was no hassle other than that.

IMO, everyone should have a passport. You never know when you might need it.

I go to PR a couple of times of year and the last time I was there was 5 months ago and I didn't need a passport.

The Puerto Rican travel commercial even states that if you're an American you don't need a passport.

Also, you can get a passport in one day. It's a PITA & it'll cost you, but it is possible.