Books & Music "You have to read this!": Books to Press on Others

The House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende is one of the best books I've ever read - it's a huge book and there are a lot of characters and subplots, but it is an incredible book.

Patricia Smith's 5 books on Tom Ripley:

The Talented Mr. Ripley
Ripley Under Ground
Ripley's Game
The Boy Who Followed Ripley
Ripley Under Water

MUST!

Wow I love this forum!

Hm some of my favourites that haven't been mentioned are:

Molokaii by Allan Brennert
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Beloved by Toni Morrison
19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult (I love all of her books!)

And ones that I love that are in here are The Help, The Book Thief, Sarah's Key and Steig Larsson's Millenium trilogy.

Thanks everyone for the great selections you've shared! I'm going to go download a bunch on my new kindle!!!

my favorite book (mainly because of the playful way it is written) It really plays with the art of writing, but is really enjoyable to read as well is

If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino.

Yes, I really love this book!

Here are some of mine:
Blindness - Jose Saramago
The History of Love - Nicole Krauss
Ishmael - Daniel Quinn

I love so many of the books already posted. The Mists of Avalon got me through high school, and The Poisonwood Bible is my fav.

I also recommend:
White Teeth or really anything by Zadie Smith
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
I Know this Much is True and She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

I am currently reading The Happiness Project: Or, why I spent a year trying to sing in the morning, clean my closets, fight right, Read Aristotle, And generally have more fun by Gretchen Rubin & I love it so far. I've been feeling down lately for no reason I can put my finger on. I'm on winter break from school, so I'm not stressed due to school work, my job is going well, money wise I am ok... I'm just not happy. This book is actually really helping.

Wow I love this forum!

Hm some of my favourites that haven't been mentioned are:

Molokaii by Allan Brennert
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Beloved by Toni Morrison
19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult (I love all of her books!)

And ones that I love that are in here are The Help, The Book Thief, Sarah's Key and Steig Larsson's Millenium trilogy.

Thanks everyone for the great selections you've shared! I'm going to go download a bunch on my new kindle!!!

I loved The Poisonwood Bible!! Great book!

Another favorite is The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. :tup:

A book I cannot recommend enough is "New York" by Edward Rutherford. Traces 4 families through the beginning of New York history from the 1600s when it was New Amsterdam. Its a huge book and I was depressed when it ended. Don't you hate when great, big books come to an end?

1) Suite Francaise - this was beautiful... sad, heartwrenching but beautiful. It left me wanting more (but the author never completed it). I recommended it to many of my friends but some skipped it because it was too heavy for them.
2) The Guernsey Literary Pie & Potato Peel Society - This was unexpected but it was so funny and sad that I re-read it at least 3 times. It's set in the Guernsey in the Channel Islands off UK and deals with post-war moods through a series of letters. I didn't like the ending though and a small part of me thinks that the author did not intend to finish the book that way (the niece finished it for her).
3) The Help - Again, I did not expect this to be great (had my fair share of "oh this looks great but eww turned out to be crap" books) but the author painted a very detailed and probably realistic picture of the white superior employers versus black employees divide a few decades ago when racism was rife. E.g. a upper class employer would go through lengths to build a separate toilet for her help so that their own toilet would not be contaminated. Terribly insulting but probably very true?
4) Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - One of the best Neil Gaiman books I ever read (I loved all his early novels) set in London. If you have been to London / know London well, you will find this a hoot as he weaves the names of all the tube stations in London very well into his book as his protagonists brings you on a mission around London (e.g. protagonist is called Doors because... she opens doors; Blackfriar station (now closed) is manned by what else, but 3 Friars etc)

So many more great books but this is all off the top of my head for now

PS: can I just say I LOVE LOVE LOVE this sub forum?? :biggrin:

I second "Neverwhere"! One of the most crazy, yet "real" book, if that makes any sense : )