You can afford a pricy Chanel Purse

I can afford my 5000 dollar Chanel But???

• If I buy it, shouldn't that money go for something that the house needs

• Isn't there a Mr/Mrs so and so I know that really are hurting for dough

• Does my Husband have to buy something expensive like for 10,000 dollars?

• Will I really wear this bag 5000 times? After all I have allot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

susieserb

Susie
O.G.
Dec 11, 2006
You buy it.. but there's that little twinge in your stomach for spending almost (let's say)
FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Feeling guilty (that money could go towards a remod for the home)
Feeling piggy (there's so and so that can really use that money)
Feeling elated, "I got a CHANEL BAG WHOOOP WHOOOP

I get all of these emotions and about to do this ring around the rosy one more time...no likey

Last edited:
Similar thoughts have popped up in my mind, so I get what you mean. I think it's a common phase that some go through - the feeling guilty phase. For me, I can justify spending X amount of dollars on a bag because I don't have any other habits/hobbies/interests that are costly. Purses are really my thing. I even had a discussion about this with my husband the other night, and we were both in agreement that I probably only spend about 1/4 of what the average woman spends per year on clothing alone. I also don't get my hair or nails done. I'm not into expensive jewelry, and I don't drive a luxury vehicle. That might not sound glamorous, but it's true! And I don't smoke cigarettes, which we all know is an expensive habit. Basically, all of these expenditures can add up. And I'm not at ALL knocking on individuals who do or have any of the aforementioned; I'm merely explaining how I personally justify my handbag purchases, whether they be $500 or $5,000. My main point is that, yes, I have gone through the same insecurity when dropping a large sum on a bag - but at the end of the day, I know I am financially responsible enough to put my priorities first, and therefore can justify indulging in something that makes me happy.

You buy it.. but there's that little twinge in your stomach for spending almost (let's say)
FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

I get all of these emotions and about to do this ring around the rosy one more time...no likey
So, if you have the right qì in your life,
you still have the funds for that remod of your home,
you contribute to whatever cause is near and dear to your heart, with funds & time, and
you enjoy your lovely things and again find a balance.

There needn't be guilt, piggyness (is that a word?), or overinflated elation, but a calm sense of joy (yeah right...and then you do the happy dance :yahoo:!). :smile:

None of the choices above i feel related to. If i have 5000 i will be thinking about the color and the style of a chanel bag that i will buy, then i would spend all day in my closet trying to figure out what outfit to wear it with. :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

Similar thoughts have popped up in my mind, so I get what you mean. I think it's a common phase that some go through - the feeling guilty phase. For me, I can justify spending X amount of dollars on a bag because I don't have any other habits/hobbies/interests that are costly. Purses are really my thing. I even had a discussion about this with my husband the other night, and we were both in agreement that I probably only spend about 1/4 of what the average woman spends per year on clothing alone. I also don't get my hair or nails done. I'm not into expensive jewelry, and I don't drive a luxury vehicle. That might not sound glamorous, but it's true! And I don't smoke cigarettes, which we all know is an expensive habit. Basically, all of these expenditures can add up. And I'm not at ALL knocking on individuals who do or have any of the aforementioned; I'm merely explaining how I personally justify my handbag purchases, whether they be $500 or $5,000. My main point is that, yes, I have gone through the same insecurity when dropping a large sum on a bag - but at the end of the day, I know I am financially responsible enough to put my priorities first, and therefore can justify indulging in something that makes me happy.
Well said luxurista! Maybe I should have a similar discussion with my hubby. :smile:

Last edited:
Oh I feel the guilt all the time...funny enough, especially a few days AFTER I've bought the bag. It is true, only a few ladies here can afford to snap their fingers and purchase multiple jumbos/exotics/etc without blinking. I've just got a 'ordinary' marketing job, and although compared to Joe Average we're doing good, it's not like I can just cough up the cash for a luxury bag. I could've used the money towards a 5* holiday, put it in the house, bought things for the family...yet at least once a year I take it to a boutique. I guess I'm like the posters above - try to see things in perspective. I also don't wear expensive clothes (Chanel RTW or J12? I wish!), use my bike and public transport, if I buy designer shoes then most times it's during sale and make sure I WEAR THEM, I don't spend €€€ on make-up, manicures and so on (I'll do my own nails most of the time), don't go out a lot at all, quit smoking, etc. Plus, I see my bag purchases as a reward for having worked hard all year and being sensible enough to put aside enough salary to do so :smile:

This way in the end I can justify it, go back to this forum and dream about my next bag! Oh, and last but not least - I never buy bags that'll end up unused in the back of my closet. So yes, ensuring you'll actually love the bag and use it with pride also helps with the justification process!

i have found that even though i can afford to spend pricy chanel money i don't feel comfortable long term carrying most of these bags. i just don't feel like myself. i am a private person and somehow feel too revealed in a way that i am not comfortable with.

i have found that even though i can afford to spend pricy chanel money i don't feel comfortable long term carrying most of these bags. i just don't feel like myself. i am a private person and somehow feel too revealed in a way that i am not comfortable with.

I truly agree with you. The majority of the items I have/had that go out of their way to showcase the brand, I have sold or I turn over the medallions, or wear them inward. I feel extremely self-conscious if I'm toting around a bag with a logo, *except* the Speedy. For some reason, I feel the Speedy is so popular and iconic, that it's normal to see one. Not to mention, most people might even think it's fake anyway. (Joke's on them!) :roflmfao:

But seriously, I don't try to justify my spending--if I do, it would be too depressing. There is no way that $5K on a bag is sensible spending. Just as most other material things that I "want" in life, the purses are in that same category. Most days, I'm so on the move that I can't even wear the bags like I want. And then I travel so much, a lot of my bags stay behind because they are too expensive or too heavy with which to travel.

I have downsized, but I don't justify.

Oh I feel the guilt all the time...funny enough, especially a few days AFTER I've bought the bag. It is true, only a few ladies here can afford to snap their fingers and purchase multiple jumbos/exotics/etc without blinking. I've just got a 'ordinary' marketing job, and although compared to Joe Average we're doing good, it's not like I can just cough up the cash for a luxury bag. I could've used the money towards a 5* holiday, put it in the house, bought things for the family...yet at least once a year I take it to a boutique. I guess I'm like the posters above - try to see things in perspective. I also don't wear expensive clothes (Chanel RTW or J12? I wish!), use my bike and public transport, if I buy designer shoes then most times it's during sale and make sure I WEAR THEM, I don't spend €€€ on make-up, manicures and so on (I'll do my own nails most of the time), don't go out a lot at all, quit smoking, etc. Plus, I see my bag purchases as a reward for having worked hard all year and being sensible enough to put aside enough salary to do so :smile:

This way in the end I can justify it, go back to this forum and dream about my next bag! Oh, and last but not least - I never buy bags that'll end up unused in the back of my closet. So yes, ensuring you'll actually love the bag and use it with pride also helps with the justification process!

Exactly! I agree that my bags are my reward for hard work and earning the cash. We need to have some pleasures in life and a new Chanel bag is the ultimate pleasure :smile: It might not make sense to most people, but each person has their vice.

None of the choices above i feel related to. If i have 5000 i will be thinking about the color and the style of a chanel bag that i will buy, then i would spend all day in my closet trying to figure out what outfit to wear it with. :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:
Oh trust me, I do dat!!!! Actually if the bag arrives today that's all I'll desire to do~

FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

To be honest, if you get this swirl of emotion, I really don't think you should be purchasing.

If you're feeling guilty about the price becuase you should be buying other things, or whatever, but you can justify it -- like others have, (i.e. not spending money on other pleasures like manicures, and this being your one of little pleasures) ….that should make you feel content that you deserve this something… remember life isn't all about saving and working...

If you cannot justify it that way, I really wouldn't buy it if you are having thse sorts of emotions. For instance, if a VERY close family member or friend that I loved wasn't doing too well, I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping so much money on a handbag until I was able to help people related to me first and have money left over to buy these things. (I am fortunate enough that this isn't the case for me… but, there is no way I could go out and buy a bag over helping people I love). I am not judging though (especially if point I made above is applicable and this is you chosen 1 of little luxuries).

Trying giving to charity everytime you splurge on unnecessary items that are pure luxuries, that's how i justify my lifestyle to my conscious :smile: … I give a little to myself to motivate me to keep working hard, and then I give to others, to ensure I keep things in perspective.