Yorkie boy or girl?

maxxout

O.G.
Mar 27, 2010
Do any of you have Yorkies? I have a three year old girl, and have decided to get a second. The same parents of my puppy are having their last litter, and I can choose between a girl or a boy. My girl is a sweetheart and is a little on the submissive side when she meets other dogs. I don’t want a rambunctious dog. I’m not sure if all male Yorkies ( neutered ) are more assertive than females.
Also, has anyone ever had two female yorkies at the same time?

In general I have heard that if one wants to have two dogs. It’s best if one is female and one is male.
Apparently one from each sex is the most compatible (but perhaps specific breeds vary)

I’ve had a friend experience a lot of in-fighting when having 2 girls and they’ve had to keep them separated for years, until they got 2 more boy dogs which evened out the pack.
(She also told me it’s a bit of a risk to have 3, since 2 may gang up on one)

Reactions: limom
In general I have heard that if one wants to have two dogs. It’s best if one is female and one is male.
Apparently one from each sex is the most compatible (but perhaps specific breeds vary)

I’ve had a friend experience a lot of in-fighting when having 2 girls and they’ve had to keep them separated for years, until they got 2 more boy dogs which evened out the pack.
(She also told me it’s a bit of a risk to have 3, since 2 may gang up on one)

Thank you for this information. I’ve read that it’s always good to have opposite sex when you have two dogs but I was curious if anybody had experience with the opposite of that. I’m really glad you mentioned having three dogs because I was slightly considering that, if I couldn’t decide. And you’re right, there could be a rivalry situation.

Reactions: lill_canele
I can't testify about yorkies but my vet told me years ago she prefers girl dogs and male cats. I have a friend with a male yorkie. she loves him but he's a bit odd - apparently not the best dog she's had.
As far as putting two females together, IDK. I always thought dogs were better at accepting a new dog than cats but friends of ours recently got a male pomeranian puppie. their female (maybe two years old) is not happy.

Reactions: maxxout
Do any of you have Yorkies? I have a three year old girl, and have decided to get a second. The same parents of my puppy are having their last litter, and I can choose between a girl or a boy. My girl is a sweetheart and is a little on the submissive side when she meets other dogs. I don’t want a rambunctious dog. I’m not sure if all male Yorkies ( neutered ) are more assertive than females.
Also, has anyone ever had two female yorkies at the same time?
My brother and SIL have two female Yorkies from the same litter and they are inseparable. I don't know if being actual siblings makes a difference, since they were raised together?

I have two female lab-mixes, both rescues, and they love each other. I adopted them at different times, and one is three years older than the other. They are BFFs :love:

I can't testify about yorkies but my vet told me years ago she prefers girl dogs and male cats. I have a friend with a male yorkie. she loves him but he's a bit odd - apparently not the best dog she's had.
As far as putting two females together, IDK. I always thought dogs were better at accepting a new dog than cats but friends of ours recently got a male pomeranian puppie. their female (maybe two years old) is not happy.

Thank you for letting me know about this. It helps.♥️

My brother and SIL have two female Yorkies from the same litter and they are inseparable. I don't know if being actual siblings makes a difference, since they were raised together?

I have two female lab-mixes, both rescues, and they love each other. I adopted them at different times, and one is three years older than the other. They are BFFs :love:

This is really great to hear. When I get the female, there will be a three year difference between them as well. I’m going today to make a final decision between the two. Thank you for letting me know this!♥️

• Love
Reactions: smallfry
that's exciting....maybe you should pick whichever dog is calmer

Last week I took each puppy to my car so I could be alone with them and see how they reacted in a new environment. The boy wined the whole time and looked around and looked at me in the eyes once. The little girl was interested in looking around, kept making eye contact with me and licked my face. She didn’t seem Upset by her new surroundings. She seems confident and curious, and eye contact is very important to me. So she stole my heart, but in my head, I think it would be good to get the boy. So I let a week pass, and hopefully the boy has matured a little bit more and will act differently when I see them both today.
They are leaving each puppy alone with me in their living room so that I don’t need to take them to my car. I think that’s nicer for the puppies anyway.
90%. I’m getting the girl.

Reactions: smallfry
Last week I took each puppy to my car so I could be alone with them and see how they reacted in a new environment. The boy wined the whole time and looked around and looked at me in the eyes once. The little girl was interested in looking around, kept making eye contact with me and licked my face. She didn’t seem Upset by her new surroundings. She seems confident and curious, and eye contact is very important to me. So she stole my heart, but in my head, I think it would be good to get the boy. So I let a week pass, and hopefully the boy has matured a little bit more and will act differently when I see them both today.
They are leaving each puppy alone with me in their living room so that I don’t need to take them to my car. I think that’s nicer for the puppies anyway.
90%. I’m getting the girl.
IMO you would be better to go by temperament than gender....but I'm not a dog person...maybe @Irishgal can weigh in on that

IMO you would be better to go by temperament than gender....but I'm not a dog person...maybe @Irishgal can weigh in on that

I agree temperament over gender but as you know temperament will develop and change a bit over time depending on how much you socialize the puppy, it’s genetics (which you are familiar with since you have another one from the same dam and sire).
Really you can’t go wrong with either, make sure to take a puppy kindergarten class to start socializing and then a puppy manners class.
At the end of the day, we always say “you have the dog you have”. Meaning, there may be things you like more about one and other things you might like more about the other.
They are all unique little beings.

Yorkies are fearless mousers and ratters, another breed that are mistaken as “little yappy dogs” by some people.
Terriers and dachshunds tend to bark because that’s part of their “work” when they are hunting.
Enjoy your new puppy!

Reactions: maxxout
I agree temperament over gender but as you know temperament will develop and change a bit over time depending on how much you socialize the puppy, it’s genetics (which you are familiar with since you have another one from the same dam and sire).
Really you can’t go wrong with either, make sure to take a puppy
kindergarten class to start socializing and then a puppy manners class.
At the end of the day, we always say “you have the dog you have”. Meaning, there may be things you like more about one and other things you might like more about the other.
They are all unique little beings.

Yorkies are fearless mousers and ratters, another breed that are mistaken as “little yappy dogs” by some people.
Terriers and dachshunds tend to bark because that’s part of their “work” when they are hunting.
Enjoy your new puppy!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. You know so much about dogs, I really appreciate your responses. And suggestions. I picked the girl today. She was very interested in interacting with me and every time I looked around of all the puppies she was the one that was sitting or lying down right next to my foot. And she also is the one who kept approaching my little dog. Although my little dog didn’t really want to have anything to do with any of the puppies and is slightly submissive. I am just hoping that my dog will end up being OK that she now has a roommate. I did not take my dog to any trainers during the pandemic, but I am pretty good at understanding dogs and gently and consistently reinforcing good behaviors. The dog I have now I consider a perfect dog. She’s very bright and she really wants to do the right thing. She’s also very happy and very playful. I did not think I would get a second dog, and I don’t even think my dog, particularly wants another dog, I just have an instinct that her life would be better if she did have a little pal.

Thank you. I agree, and I picked the dog with the best temperament which was the female. Also, She kept hanging around me, looking directly at my eyes and licking me. The little boy didn’t really wanna have anything to do with me.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. You know so much about dogs, I really appreciate your responses. And suggestions. I picked the girl today. She was very interested in interacting with me and every time I looked around of all the puppies she was the one that was sitting or lying down right next to my foot. And she also is the one who kept approaching my little dog. Although my little dog didn’t really want to have anything to do with any of the puppies and is slightly submissive. I am just hoping that my dog will end up being OK that she now has a roommate. I did not take my dog to any trainers during the pandemic, but I am pretty good at understanding dogs and gently and consistently reinforcing good behaviors. The dog I have now I consider a perfect dog. She’s very bright and she really wants to do the right thing. She’s also very happy and very playful. I did not think I would get a second dog, and I don’t even think my dog, particularly wants another dog, I just have an instinct that her life would be better if she did have a little pal.
Congrats on your new puppy! Your other dog will be fine. Some dogs love puppies and some tend to warm up more as the puppy starts to mature and settle a bit.
Also your older dog may correct the puppy if the puppy is playing too hard or play biting too hard. Puppies in multiple dog homes usually learn soft bite from another dog.

Reactions: sdkitty and maxxout
Congrats on your new puppy! Your other dog will be fine. Some dogs love puppies and some tend to warm up more as the puppy starts to mature and settle a bit.
Also your older dog may correct the puppy if the puppy is playing too hard or play biting too hard. Puppies in multiple dog homes usually learn soft bite from another dog.

That’s good to know. They’re six weeks old and this breeder keeps her puppies until they’re at least 10 weeks. So she will learn some of those non-biting things from the other puppies in the litter as well as her parents. There was a very small runt of the litter that will only end up being 3 pounds full grown, and the breeders are watchful and training all the puppies not to pick on that little tiny puppy, so that seems like that will be helpful when my puppy comes home. Even though I like really small dogs, I don’t think I would ever relax with a dog that small. Someone has already picked her anyway. I was lucky to have first pick of the litter.

• Love
Reactions: sdkitty